Ubisoft to Apply Assassin's Creed Development Model to Other Franchises

• 82 results
#51 Posted by karatetron (692 posts) -

No, YOU be soft.

#52 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2297 posts) -

I haven't got a problem with annual releases as long as the quality is high and the game can innovate itself enough to be better than the previous. Sequels should always strive to be better and if Ubisoft apply the same work ethics across all their franchises then that's great. 

#53 Edited by sear (371 posts) -

And by "Assassin's Creed development model" do they mean "hire 500 people + outsource the rest of the development, work them like slaves in permanent crunch time, then lay off all of them when players lose interest in the franchise as it inevitably crumbles into dust, while the executives responsible for the decision move on to the next milking cow with nary a dent in their paycheques"?

#54 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Styl3s said:

" @ryanwho said:

" Ubisoft is like "more games like the wildly successful and very good AC:B!" And gamers are like "waaah boycott forever".
I don't get it but okay.
"

You don't get why we don't want good franchises being ruined by yearly releases? if you don't get it then you never will.Developers need to take their time with games not pop one out every 12 months, in reality that would be what? like 7-8 months of real development time? rest cleaning bugs and polishing? i would rather get a new game in the franchise every 2-3 years not every year. "
Except AC:B didn't have any of those problems so you're making stupid cynical presumptions. Just because Bioware sucks at it doesn't mean Ubisoft with its giant dev teams can't pull it off.
#55 Posted by Koobz (407 posts) -

LALALALA I'M GOING TO PRETEND THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT RE-ANNOUNCING BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL 2 LALALALALA

#56 Posted by Cazamalos (983 posts) -

yeah! milk it !

like the activision way
#57 Posted by ajamafalous (12167 posts) -

I think the reason that Ubisoft can pull it off with AC and Activision can't with CoD is that Assassin's Creed has an overarching narrative that has people hooked with how crazy it is, not to mention all of the cliffhanger endings.

#58 Posted by jmsy (7 posts) -

I'm not convinced the other franchises need to be annualized, but they do deserve the time and resources invested in the last couple of Assassin's Creed games. I want to play a Splinter Cell or Rainbow Six game that feels as fresh and well-made as Brotherhood.

#59 Posted by rick9109 (157 posts) -

Yohoho Puzzle Pirates: Scandalous Revelations 

#60 Posted by FreakAche (2955 posts) -

Yes! Finally I can get that open world Imagine Babies game I always wanted!

#61 Posted by Little_Socrates (5718 posts) -
@craigbo180 said:
" Ubisoft has other strong franchises? "
That was my question. There's definitely at least one Tom Clancy game a year and those are still only fine, Prince of Persia hasn't been good in a long time, and it's not fair to call BG&E a franchise when it has one game and a rerelease.
#62 Posted by RedRoach (1216 posts) -
@skudfisher: Guitar Hero was a music game, that genre was destined to have a short lifespan, How the guitar gameplay has been the exact same since the very first one, with only slight changes. Sure they added new instruments and modes, but a music game is not something you can really change or improve. AC on the other hand is an action game. They have a massive team on the AC franchise (I believe somewhere around 300-400 people) and hey, Brotherhood improved on AC2.

All I'm saying is: Don't dismiss Revelations so soon.
#63 Posted by Nedrika (14 posts) -

I can't see this as a good idea.  I may well be proven wrong, but in that case it shall be a nice surprise.

#64 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

I guess as long as the quality is up there, and they don't run into any problems then I guess I am fine with it... I guess.

#65 Posted by Device (47 posts) -

They already put Rainbow 6 franchise into the ground...Splinter Cell Conviction was uttery crap...

#66 Edited by Peteradcrew (13 posts) -

As long as they keep getting better It's a good thing.  More parkour moves please!

#67 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -
@Peteradcrew said:
" As long as they keep getting better It's a good thing.  More parkour moves please! "
After you, please. I need the Vitamins.
#68 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @Styl3s said:

" @ryanwho said:

" Ubisoft is like "more games like the wildly successful and very good AC:B!" And gamers are like "waaah boycott forever".
I don't get it but okay.
"

You don't get why we don't want good franchises being ruined by yearly releases? if you don't get it then you never will.Developers need to take their time with games not pop one out every 12 months, in reality that would be what? like 7-8 months of real development time? rest cleaning bugs and polishing? i would rather get a new game in the franchise every 2-3 years not every year. "
Except AC:B didn't have any of those problems so you're making stupid cynical presumptions. Just because Bioware sucks at it doesn't mean Ubisoft with its giant dev teams can't pull it off. "
Why do you keep bringing up AC:B? It was literally AC2 with minor changes, and i never said it was a bad game.

it's ridiculous how much you are defending ubi on this, anyone with a decent IQ can see that short development time = bad for any game, the series will be destined to fail or become stale
#69 Posted by Enigma777 (6059 posts) -
@Device said:
" They already put Rainbow 6 franchise into the ground...Splinter Cell Conviction was uttery crap... "
Whaaat? Conviction was great!
#70 Posted by ArchTeckGuru8 (230 posts) -

Nothing good can come of this in the long run.  From the people working nothing but the annual games to consumers being fed the same game with only a few changes each year.

Sucks, its my favorite this gen game too.  Shareholders ruin everything in the end.

#71 Posted by MrCandleguy (813 posts) -
@Peteradcrew said:
" As long as they keep getting better It's a good thing.  More parkour moves please! "
Yea, aslong as they don't ruin this amazing series into the ground, I'm good with yearly installs.
#72 Posted by UnrealDP (1221 posts) -

God i hope so, cause i want a new Rainbow six, and i mean NOW!
#73 Posted by Eyz (449 posts) -

Alright... just do it to Beyond Good & Evil already!!! X__X

#74 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2400 posts) -

I care more about quality, no to mention I feel one of these years they should just give players a break and not wear us thin.

#75 Posted by Ryujay (1 posts) -

Good news for the next Ubi Game !

#76 Posted by Jeust (10864 posts) -

More milking then... 

#77 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -

I literally don't understand what's got people so upset.  As long as they keep producing good games (and they haven't disappointed yet), I'm all for increasing the frequency we get them.

#78 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

They will disappoint as soon as they start making yearly releases though. You just can't make worthwhile improvements in a year. Hell, CoD devs get 2 whole years between their games and they're still no better than the previous one haha

#79 Posted by MarkM (298 posts) -

I don't see the logic here...

AC sold units because it was a good game, not because of the way the development pipeline worked. So they think if they apply the same development workflow to other franchises and IP's, those games will also sell well?

#80 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -
@TheHT said:
" here's hoping they don't get tired and repetitive, not that the assassin's creed games are. "
AC1 was the most tired and repetitive game I ever played haha 
#81 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

It's funny because it's always been easy to doubt AC from its inception. Yearly updates, etc.

But they keep on hitting home runs... Each one is exponentially better than the last.

I'm suspending criticism of this franchise until they make a game that feels rushed. Until then... Well done, Ubisoft.
#82 Posted by TheWesman (378 posts) -

"Few could have anticipated Assassin's Creed would have been such a blockbuster right out of the gate, but Ubisoft found itself with a major hit."

Really?  Ubisoft showcased it at E3 for multiple years, there was advertising everywhere, the vast majority of reviews for the game were positive.  It had a HUGE budget, I'm sure.  They used people from the Prince of Persia team to program it. 

I don't know much about business, but I think Ubisoft kinda expected it to be a blockbuster, even if just to make back their investment.

#83 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Take one fresh idea and squeeze it repeatedly until all the juice is gone and you're left with an emaciated husk?

Brotherhood had the new multiplayer so I can forgive that one.  Ubisoft lost me with the announcement they're churning out yet another game with the same characters and same time period, having the audacity to call it the conclusion of the "Ezio trilogy".  No way.  No sale.  Decreased interest in AC3 now as well.     

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.