Ubisoft's Boivin Doesn't Think We'll See Assassin's Creed in 2011

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

We've all experienced franchise fatigue, and it's something that Ubisoft Montreal's Jean-Francois Boivin wants to avoid with Assassin's Creed, a series that will see a new release in 2010 (Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood) on the heels of a release in 2009 (Assassin's Creed II).

In a gem of an interview with Eurogamer, Boivin expressed his desire to give the franchise a rest after Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and used the music game genre, which recently experienced a slump most likely as a result of its sequel-itis, as a rightly plucked point to explain why he thinks AC needs a rest.

"Honestly, I think for the benefit of everybody--and business can come back and override everything I say because at the end of the day it's about selling games--I believe that this license needs a breather," Boivin said. "You can't plough a field every year. Once every three years--or once every something--you have to let it breathe. You have to let the minerals back in. I think it's the same thing with any license, really.

== TEASER =="We can see a lot of the music games that are releasing year after year--the interest is a lot less than it used to be. The excitement is a lot less than it used to be. You want to keep people excited," he explained. "You gotta make people miss it a bit. It's like, 'Oh man! I'm so happy it's back!' But if you keep force-feeding to people then people are like, 'Yeah, enough of your Assassin's Creed'. 

Boivin said Brotherhood will spell the "end of Ezio's story," and he doesn't think there will be a new game in 2011. But that doesn't mean we won't see one in 2012 or even 2013, as Boivin believes Ubisoft could do something "true" to Assassin's Creed in one of those years.

If you're wondering what exactly you might see from the future of the Assassin's Creed franchise, you'll have to wait. Boivin did, however, have a little tease to share with Eurogamer: "…It's the story of Desmond Miles, and it's the story of a machine called an Animus that reads genetic memories from your ancestors. It has to stay in there," he said, speaking to how the series' plot and mechanics need to be justified.
#1 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

Couldn't agree more, i loved both console games, but there's such a thing as 'too much of a good thing'.

#2 Posted by Madara117 (85 posts) -
@babblinmule:  Now who told you that
#3 Posted by Jeust (10733 posts) -
@Madara117 said:
" @babblinmule:  Now who told you that "
Activision. :p
#4 Posted by Brodehouse (10066 posts) -

That sucks.  I would've rather they didn't make Brotherhood in 2010 and release AC3 in 2011.  They just got to the interesting part of the story, Desmon as a modern day Assassin, and now they're stalling.

They can take the basic combat engine of Splinter Cell Conviction, add some AC-specific stuff like Eagle Vision and hide abilities, and suddenly you have a shooty Assassin's Creed starring Nolan North.

#5 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -
@Brodehouse: It'll probably add up to a better product in the long run. But I agree. I wouldn't have have gone in this direction either if it meant delaying the real-deal.
#6 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

I'm currently playing through 2. I can totally understand why they'd be concerned about over-saturating us with their franchise. Such bland story and contrived motivations. The one character in the game worth discovering is the world of a late fifteenth-century Italy, and even 'it' isn't an original concept on the part of the creators :/. But assassins and hoodies are still "cool", right?

#7 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

omfg...someone who makes games understands this? Get this man on the phone to talk some sense in to Bobby Kotick fast!

#8 Posted by Russcat (140 posts) -

In an industry where share prices and the bottom line rule all, this is a shockingly long sighted plan. Kudos.

#9 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I'm glad they're leaving it for a while even though I wouldn't care if it came out soon anyways. I'm ready for another one...not so sure about everyone else though.
#10 Edited by Roger778 (960 posts) -

I'm as happy as mostly everyone here to know that Ubisoft is taking a break on Assassins Creed.  It is one of the best franchises right now, along with Mass Effect, and Ubisoft needs as much time as they want in order to make sure the final chapter in this unique trilogy is as awesome as they can make it.   

Kudos to this guy who understands that game sequels shouldn't come out year after year.
#11 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

That's cool with me. As much as I love the Assassin's Creed franchise, if they come out with a game every year then Assassin's Creed 3 won't be as exciting as it could. 

#12 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Kudos to the developer, a break from the franchise will generally allow a better product in the end and help lessen the saturation of the gaming market. Surprised that Ubisoft has even considered this, considering how successful the Assassin's Creed franchise is becoming.

#13 Posted by SSully (4230 posts) -

He knows what hes talking about. Thats why valve and blizzard (and some other companies) consistently release good title after good title, they take their time and switch of franchises after they finish a game. They dont feed you the same BS year after year, they wait until everyone is begging for a equal, and then please almost everyone. 

#14 Posted by Landon (4152 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" @Madara117 said:
Activision. :p "
Oh my God. Now THAT was a zinger.
#15 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I'm a bit burnt out on assassin's creed 2 right now, they made the right decision.

#16 Posted by deadly_polo (471 posts) -

This seems like code for "the first two games were set in 2012, so we should bring the third out in 2012". Nevertheless, anything that lets AC3 be a better game is always thumbs up in my book.

#17 Edited by ptys (1968 posts) -

Oh great! He's right on the money, because I've been planing to buy AC2...still haven't finished the first one then they showed 'Brotherhood' and it made me lose interest as I thought that was no. 3! So good, that means I've got heaps of time to play 1 and 2 (I'll skip b-hood) and then I'll be able to enjoy 3...well, if I enjoy 2 that is?..and 1. 1's okay, just too repetitive, like numbers.

#18 Posted by DBagalot (159 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" @Madara117 said:
Activision. :p "
YES.
#19 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Well, I'm glad to see someone can show some restraint. *glares at Bobby*

#20 Posted by Jazz (2288 posts) -

Good, now dream up a new IP which is of the same quality please. 
One every two years is more than enough.

#21 Posted by armaan8014 (5416 posts) -

Now that's a good decision!

#22 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

That would mean ACIII would maybe come in fall 2012, that is exciting

#23 Posted by Yagami (597 posts) -

I AM CALLING IT!!  AC III RELEASE DATE = 2012:12:21!!

#24 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@Yagami: That would be great
#25 Posted by MachoFantastico (4786 posts) -

This is refreshingly nice to hear, especially when you look at Activision.  

Assassins Creed as become a rather popular and financially successful franchise for Ubisoft, but it's right that they delay Assassins Creed 3 till at least 2012. You can to easily burn people out with to many releases.  

I think most Assassins Creed fans will welcome this news and believe it to be the right decision. Looking forward to Brotherhood though. 

#26 Posted by JDDrewes (255 posts) -

wow, i'm actually really glad about this 
i hope that the spend extra time making a freaking awesome AC3 to be released in 2012. brotherhood seems sort of like an optional thing to me, like ODST or something. If you need more than you can have it, but if you're not a crazy fanboy then the real product will get released later. 
i just hope that brotherhood and AC3 are more difficult than AC2. It was a great game, but so many of the mechanics fell apart or just became useless once when you realized that you could kill every single enemy with your fists, and that you could activate medicine at any time to ultimately restore like up to 5 times your health. I only died when i accidentaly jumped off of a building, never from an enemy. that's why i liked AC1 more, but i think that AC2 is technically a better game 
sorry for the wall of text

#27 Posted by Jimbo (9862 posts) -

I don't know, I still wouldn't be surprised to see one in 2011.  I could see them alternating between a true sequel and a spin-off on an annual basis.  This franchise ought to be fairly resilient against franchise fatigue if they handle it right, because they can go for a totally fresh historical setting every other year, meaning new environments, new weapons, new fighting styles, new characters etc.

Making a 'modern' Assassin's Creed will kill the franchise a lot quicker than releasing a game annually will.

#28 Posted by Branthog (5583 posts) -

Do we really need every franchise to have a new release every fucking year? No, didn't think so.

#29 Posted by MeatSim (10892 posts) -

Yea take a year off we don't need it to become the Madden of action-adventure games.

#30 Posted by slyely (154 posts) -

Totally agree with him. I'm glad they aren't going to follow the model of releasing a game every year...I feel it does burn out the consumers. Wait a few years and give me something fresh from the AC series. :)

#31 Posted by SkinnyBlue (320 posts) -

Smart move not to churn out a new game for one franchise every year, I'll be looking forward to playing a more developed AC 3 in 2012.

#32 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
" They can take the basic combat engine of Splinter Cell Conviction, add some AC-specific stuff like Eagle Vision and hide abilities, and suddenly you have a shooty Assassin's Creed starring Nolan North. "
*vomits violently* 
i love AC too much to let that happen! im sorry baby but fuck you !
#33 Posted by Brodehouse (10066 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: A modern day Assassin's Creed makes more sense as a shooty game than a stabby game.  4 American Presidents have been shot and none stabbed.  And the new Splinter Cell plays like Assassin's Creed with more aiming and less climbing.
#34 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic: A modern day Assassin's Creed makes more sense as a shooty game than a stabby game.  4 American Presidents have been shot and none stabbed.  And the new Splinter Cell plays like Assassin's Creed with more aiming and less climbing. "
nope. i refuse

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.