What setting do you think they should go with next?

• 95 results
#1 Posted by Shimmy (183 posts) -

You'll forgive me if someone has asked this before, but after seeing the E3 2012 footage for ACIII and talking with a friend who's just getting into the series, I started to think about where else Ubisoft could go.

Among other possibilities (feudal Japan, seventeenth-century France, etc...) I think I'd most like to see ancient Greece. I'm thinking Athens and Sparta, and the Persian Wars; centres of learning and virtue against a hegemonic empire, and all that nonsense. I feel like the Assassins v. Templar conflict could fit into that framework rather nicely.

But that's just me. What say you?

#2 Posted by Jayzilla (2562 posts) -

All Desmond. I had hoped it would be all Desmond by the third game at the latest. I was ready for him to train, and then unleash his skills on Manhattan or something. They have strung this franchise out too far imo. Money makin I guess.

#3 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

Anything other than modern day would be annoying and disappointing.

#4 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

Canada

#5 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

this.

#6 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@Jayzilla: @NegativeCero: Ubisoft said when revelations came out, that Desmond will never have his own game and there will always be some kind of time period in every game.
#7 Posted by Asrahn (552 posts) -

Can't believe I'm saying this but: World War 2. Modern era with Desmond would be prefered above all else naturally, but I think that's wishful thinking. WW2 assassination done with the AC gameplay could be pretty interesting, though they may actually have to... eek gasp... change some gameplay aspects to serve a close combat/ranged combat style better.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

The future, somehow. Eagle Vision extends into the future now, because why not?

#9 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

World War I or World War III.

#10 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

Half in (insert preference here), half of it with Desmond doing a lot of assassinating in modern day.

Anyway, I'd like to see feudal Japan. I think it would be great to expand their horizons, so to speak, and go with a culture that isn't so steeped in Western history.

Or, really, I'd just like it set in and around a lesser known conflict or an era we don't hear about all the time. I have hardly learned anything about feudal Japan's culture or history, a game put in that setting that's been very well-researched and methodically fact-checked could be quite an experience. It could also be a good game for the "games as education" case, and a good one for proving that games aren't as childish and immature as many think they are.

#11 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Imperial Russia, 1918. Although i don't see it happening. Best bet? Either present day, or WWII Germany. We don't wanna miss out on killing all them nazis after all.

#12 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

London - 1890 to 1930

#13 Posted by Asrahn (552 posts) -

@believer258 If you're interested in feudal Japan, I deeply recommend Shogun 2: Total War.

#14 Posted by Butano (1738 posts) -

Nazi-occupied France a la Saboteur would be sweet.

#15 Posted by Soapy86 (2621 posts) -

Anything but modern day. I can't find a single fuck to give about Desmond.

#16 Posted by Stefan (519 posts) -
@emkeighcameron: na, Victorian London would be way cooler with the first steam engines and such - might be a good place for Assassin's Creed 3 - Soandso 

Going back way further would only be natural as the alien story seems to be very old, maybe Egypt.
#17 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Whatever period that doesn't require the assassin to use automatic guns.

#18 Edited by Encephalon (1262 posts) -

Since I have no reasonable expectation that the current story arc will conclude in 3, I'm going to assume that there will be yet more Desmond games.

Ubi will never do Japan because the fetishization of Japanese culture is already a video game cliche, and they claim to want to explore untrodden ground where setting is concerned. As for what I want, I'd like to say modern day, but Ubi has so consistently failed to make Desmond an interesting character that he would probably hinder the game to some degree. Desmond is so bad that Nolan North becomes a worse VA when voicing him. Unless they do something real crazy like playing as Desmond's dad, I am wary of any modern setting.

So... Egypt would be nice, I guess.

#19 Posted by Shimmy (183 posts) -

@Encephalon: I agree that Desmond is probably the least interesting part of the series so far. Even if he wasn't though, I don't have any particular need for closure. Ubisoft can string me along for as long as they want, provided that the games are well-realized and set in interesting time periods.

#20 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4813 posts) -

Well that depends. Are we talking about future AC games sans Desmond (whose story, the devs have said, needs to wrap up before the end of the world this year), or AC games with Desmond? If we're going with the former, I can see them going back to before Templars and Assassins, even though in AC1, it felt like that was the birth of the conflict. Hrm. You know, The Great War would be an interesting backdrop, as would Imperial Russia. That would be pretty great, actually.

At this point, anything but Japan. I am so fucking sick of people asking about feudal Japan. At that point you're asking for a new Tenchu game and, yeah, they were pretty shit.

#21 Edited by Encephalon (1262 posts) -

@Shimmy: I wouldn't mind more AC games either, but stringing along this current story arc much longer will do it no favors. Revelations already demonstrated how inconsequential an AC story can be. If Ubi wants to ride this train until the wheels fall off, which they most assuredly do, then I think they should wrap up this "trilogy" and move forward. The AC conceit is strong enough to stand on its own even without the metanarrative window dressing, which is the most chintzy and "video gamey" part.

#22 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

They need to build it up until eventually we get to present day and we play as Desmond, then no more of these games please, although I very much doubt that.

#23 Posted by TooWalrus (13202 posts) -

Well, after 3 different historical periods, they should probably go Desmond and his modern day exploits.

#24 Posted by Zella (755 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Imperial Russia, 1918. Although i don't see it happening. Best bet? Either present day, or WWII Germany. We don't wanna miss out on killing all them nazis after all.

They actually cover Imperial Russia in one of the AC comics, it's kind of interesting. On topic I would say World War 1, guns were still pretty unreliable so they wouldn't dominate the game but would still have a bunch of modern things like early planes and tanks. They could even say that Franz Ferdinand was killed by Assassin's(or Templars) instead of Serbian nationalist. I agree with Ubisoft when they say that Feudal Japan and WWII are boring and played out, how many games have we played where you are a ninja or fighting in WWII. WWI is a terribly unexplored time period in games.

#25 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Hizang: Yeah, i have a feeling this'll be one of those franchises where it just keeps going and going and going even though it should stop.

@Zella: But i wanna kill nazis!

#26 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming: Exactly, up until nobody cares about it anymore, which is a shame.

#27 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

It should have been modern day right after the first Assassin's Creed.

#28 Posted by Giantstalker (1652 posts) -

@Zella said:

They actually cover Imperial Russia in one of the AC comics, it's kind of interesting. On topic I would say World War 1, guns were still pretty unreliable so they wouldn't dominate the game but would still have a bunch of modern things like early planes and tanks. They could even say that Franz Ferdinand was killed by Assassin's(or Templars) instead of Serbian nationalist. I agree with Ubisoft when they say that Feudal Japan and WWII are boring and played out, how many games have we played where you are a ninja or fighting in WWII. WWI is a terribly unexplored time period in games.

This is by far the best idea I've heard yet. Not sure how you'd exactly fit him into such a massive, wide-ranging conflict but I'd be more than happy to see them try.

#29 Posted by Shimmy (183 posts) -

@Encephalon: You're right about the Desmond "saga' being more than a little played out at this point. I'll take ACIII, but that really should be the end of it. That said, some of my favorite parts of the last few games were the glyph puzzles and the meta-narrative stuff. Delving deeper into the Assassins v. Templar conflict outside of the whole "Desmond saves the world" thing is where I'm still interested.

#30 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I had thought, if they refuse to do Feudal Japan, being a part of the French Resistance during WW2 could be pretty fucking awesome.

#31 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Isn't it obvious?

SPAAAACEEE.

#32 Edited by Zella (755 posts) -

@xobballox said:

I had thought, if they refuse to do Feudal Japan, being a part of the French Resistance during WW2 could be pretty fucking awesome.

Sooooo The Saboteur then? Seriously go play that game if you haven't already, it's pretty cheap now and it's super underrated.

#33 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@Zella: Now that it's cheap I may pick it up; I just haven't because the gameplay seemed kind of boring to me.

#34 Posted by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

I don't really care about the setting just as long as it is interesting. I do however want them to fix the characters faces.I mean jeez as good as that game can look at times, the faces look like garbage, Desmond especially. In AC: Revelations, I have an Assassin in my guild that looks like Darlene from Roseanne.

@Zella said:

@xobballox said:

Sooooo The Saboteur then? Seriously go play that game if you haven't already, it's pretty cheap now and it super underrated.

I'm gonna say it got the amount of dues it deserved. It's an average game with a lot of visual style. Nothing more, nothing less. I bought it for 4 or 5 bucks on PC and it's an okay game.

#35 Posted by Jimbo (9814 posts) -

If they intend to give this guy a trilogy, then I would assume French Revolution and then something nobody wants to play because they've run out of ideas. Not sure where they'll go after that. I have next to no interest in a modern AC and I'm fine with them dragging it out as long as they make the games interesting in their own right.

#36 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

@Shimmy: The next game will most likely be modern day focused. Ubisoft has already released concept art of modern day Desmond in assassin's gear.

#37 Posted by Shimmy (183 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

If they intend to give this guy a trilogy, then I would assume French Revolution and then something nobody wants to play because they've run out of ideas. Not sure where they'll go after that. I have next to no interest in a modern AC and I'm fine with them dragging it out as long as they make the games interesting in their own right.

I agree with this person. Desmond is boring, modern day is boring. Show me something cool.

#38 Posted by craigieh28 (74 posts) -

The Russian Revolution sounds like a perfect evolution. But if we are looking at the modern day era next, assuming that the series will be taking roughly 300 year jumps, then what modern day settings reflecst the social and political upheaval and clashing of ideologies that might suit the series? How about North Africa and the Middle East and the recent Arab Springs, taking the series full circle?

#39 Posted by yoyobear (2 posts) -

Victorian Britain would be a good setting

#40 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

@Zella: I was going to say WWI too. They like to pick eras that aren't really ever used, so I'd think it would be an interesting choice.

Anything but feudal Japan. It's so obvious and uninteresting.

#41 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

The trilogy should end with the third game.

#42 Posted by TheRookie727 (62 posts) -

How about the American Civil War or Mexican Revolution?

#43 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Anything not modern day is fine with me.

#44 Posted by Brendan (7811 posts) -

FEUDAL JAPAN 'CUS IT WOULD BE SO PERFECT THINK ABOUT IT.

#45 Posted by bio595 (307 posts) -

Modern day except dude goes into an Animus and lives the memories of an ancestor.

Wait thats all the games so far.

Kidding aside, Trojan War era Mediterranean would be awesome, you could assassinate Priam or Agamemnon or some shit

#46 Posted by bio595 (307 posts) -

Better yet modern day, and your ancestor is batman, and the environment is Gotham City/Metropolis, superman is a templar thinkaboutit

#47 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

I'm eager to see where the story is heading (catching up on Brotherhood and Revelations now) but I'd like to see one set in Asian lands or something super steampunk like.

#48 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5008 posts) -
#49 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (277 posts) -

I was really hoping that by now we would have had an entire game focusing on Desmond but for some reason Ubisoft has yet to do that. Since Watch Dogs appears to be pretty much AC in modern times then I want them to adapt the comic Assassin's Creed: The Fall which focuses on Daniel Cross and his ancestor Nikolai Orelov.

#50 Posted by Kazona (3068 posts) -

I don't care what setting they use, so long as it finally provides some closure to the overarching story they've been needlessly stretching out

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.