Screw the haters; AC is awesome!

• 95 results
#51 Posted by HistoryInRust (6434 posts) -
mrfluke said:
"the game suceeds in the major thing a game should succeed in BEING FUN
"
/thread?

It definitely had an immense fun factor.  There isn't anything like the freerunning mechanic -- it stands purely unrivaled as an adrenaline-fueled mode of locomotion in gaming. 

That said, a lot of the criticisms are relatively valid, and it really comes down to the player's individual attention span.  I, for instance, loved the game, and the HUD-less playthrough was certainly a clairvoyant experience.  Others, who tire of repetition and need more varied mission structure, just plain won't like it. 
#52 Posted by swamplord666 (1763 posts) -

loved the game! really got into it. i am really looking forward to the next one! the end opened up the possibility of a huge story driven franchise (also with the easter eggs it's even more enticing)

#53 Edited by JamesM (209 posts) -

I thought the game had greatness in it, but also had some fairly significant flaws. I really enjoyed the game, but it was kind of frustrating that a few things held it back from its full potential. I think there's scope for some fantastic sequels if they learn from their mistakes. My one concern is how much the change of setting implied by the ending would affect the gameplay. That's not to say it couldn't work in a different setting, too, but I kind of want a version like it is now but with a bit more variety and some of the annoying things sorted out.

I can certainly forgive a lot for what they did right. I await the next game with interest and not a small amount of excitement.

I can see how the problems could be more of a barrier to other people, but the sheer bilious reactions some people come out with seem extreme and confusing to me.

#54 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -

It was a great game. It could have been a whole hell of a lot better, but it was still a fun game. I just wish the counter attacks weren't instant kills. It turns combat into nothing more than a Quicktime event.

#55 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3505 posts) -

I enjoyed it as well.  The combat is the best part for me.  If there was an unlimited enemies mode, that would be cool.  After finishing the game, I've just loaded the last memory block (so I have all upgrades) and role play a bit.  Archer hunting is great, but mainly I just cause big battles.

#56 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

How freakin awesome is the megaton rumor at joystiq.

an AC sequel!

this will be the biggest disappointment to me if its not true.
#57 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
Kush said:
"Have you beaten the game? Because the game is horribly repetitive and the combat system in flawed due to an extremely overpowered counter-system. Combat is way too easy and there really isn't anything to do in the game besides "climb shit", as you so eloquently put it, and do your assassination missions. The game is just average in my eyes; it's not horrible, but it ins't fantastic either...just average."
Yeah, I agree. At first I was kind of digging it, but then I found all the heavy repetition to get mind-numbingly boring after like 4-5 hours with the game. I was enjoying the flag collecting, then it became clear that you didn't get rewarded for it unless you got every flag in a city, which is pretty harsh. All in all, the game had some serious potential, but I felt it really failed to deliver because ultimately the gameplay was too repetitive and not quite good enough to back the game up. It had some things going for it, but not enough to keep me wanting to play more.
#58 Posted by Balls (525 posts) -

IT's ok but the ending is really a teast!

#59 Edited by Lemegeton (780 posts) -
Vaxadrin said:
 Sure, the actual missions get a bit repetitive, but there really aren't any sandbox games out there that don't fall into this trap, and I'd say it's far less so than something like GTA4.

i totally disagree with that statement. i enjoyed assassins creed but its biggest issue is the repetitiveness. lets see you can interrogate, pick pocket, informant, assasinate, and save citizen. 5 total different missions, are you telling me GTA4 has less then 5 different mission types.
#60 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

I am.

GTA's mission types:
-Kill one guy
-Kill several guys

...usually with a car chase thrown in there somewhere.

#61 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

Honestly, I couldn't stand the civillians. I was supposed to be engrossed by crowd dynamics, and yet they all said the same thing. There weren't two lines of dialogue for some things, which really took me out. I could also stab a man in the back in the middle of a crowd, and no one would notice. Here I am, I stand out like a sore thumb with my cloak, and I'm hugging the man as he falls dead. Nobody thinks I killed him? The only way you could escape was hiding in hay, too, which also took me out of it. It seemed like they ran out of ideas, which really killed the depth, and limited my freedom.

#62 Posted by Lemegeton (780 posts) -
Vaxadrin said:
"I am.

GTA's mission types:
-Kill one guy
-Kill several guys

...usually with a car chase thrown in there somewhere."
you are simplifying the missions in GTA4 to its basic objective. if i did that in assasins creed then i could say that every level of the game was about killing one guy. but thats being unfair to the game as there is much more to each mission than just getting to your target and killing them. plus GTA4 has more variety then just killing guys.
flying helicopters, boat chases, stealing cars, races, do deliveries. sure a lot of the story missions require you to kill someone but the mechanics of how you do that can be varied. the problem with assasins creed is there is no such variety, every pickpocket, interrogation, rescue citizen plays out the same every fucking time. the only variety comes in killing your main target. but i could simply say that in AC you go to a city, find the guy and kill him, and make the game sound terrible but i would not do that as there is a lot more to it, but that is what you have done with GTA4 and that is just fucking pathetic in my book

#63 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

I bought it and did not finish it. I have no intention of ever finishing it.

The voice acting may have been good- I don't know because I'm terrible with accents and couldn't understand a fucking word they were saying, which didn't help with the lack of subtitles.

#64 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

I guess I won't be reading your book, then.

By your standards, I could then say that assassination missions that involve archers, well placed scouts on roofs, straight up melee fights, descending into an asylum, all offer different takes on the same objective, just like GTA4 does.  The only difference is that one is a game you like, and one is a game you don't, so you apply different standards to each.

#65 Posted by Lemegeton (780 posts) -
Vaxadrin said:
"I guess I won't be reading your book, then.

By your standards, I could then say that assassination missions that involve archers, well placed scouts on roofs, straight up melee fights, descending into an asylum, all offer different takes on the same objective, just like GTA4 does.  The only difference is that one is a game you like, and one is a game you don't, so you apply different standards to each."
talking bullshit again. i already stated that i enjoyed assasins creed so its not a case of fanboyism as you claim. and i fucking said in my post that i could break assassins creed down to its basic parts but that would be unfair as THERE IS some good variety in the assassinations but the rest of the objectives are where the repittion is the problem. so read the post properly you fuckwit. you are the one who broke GTA's missions down to a simplistic view so it is you who judge GTA by a different standard than you do assasins creed.
and im willing to bet you have not played and/or completed GTA4

#66 Edited by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

I have played GTA4 through completion, gotten both endings, and spent a good several weeks playing its glitchy, broken multiplayer.  My gamertag is Vaxadrin if you need proof, check the achievements.

Reading back through my post I never made a claim of fanboyism directed at you, so that's quite a bizarre remark out of left field.  Is there anything you'd like to get off your chest?  I'm not sure why you feel the need to sling personal attacks like "talking bullshit" and "fuckwit" (which I'm pretty sure isn't actually a word), but it comes across as very immature and does not lend itself to any form of fruitful discussion.

#67 Posted by Lemegeton (780 posts) -
Vaxadrin said:
 The only difference is that one is a game you like, and one is a game you don't, so you apply different standards to each."
that is plain accusing me of hating on assassins creed because i like gta better which to me is an accusation of being biased, which i consider to be fanboy-ish.
like i said i enjoyed assassins creed which shows you didnt read my first post properly as you assumed i did not like AC. i simply find your statement that AC has more variety in its missions than GTA4 absolutely ludricous. you obviously enjoyed AC more than GTA4 which is fine, everyone is different. I simply think you are being unfair describing GTA4 in extremely simplistic terms because you enjoyed AC more. if my language offended i apologise, thats just my way.
#68 Posted by Oni (2115 posts) -

Yeah I'm with you, screw the haters, I love AC. The game is really transparent about its repetitive nature as well, it's not like in GTA, where there is all this window dressing and cut scenes, but at the end of the day, most missions are finding a dude and then killing him, escaping the cops, following someone or a combination of those, and I got real tired of them in the last third of GTA 4. Assassin's Creed kept me hooked up until the end. The combat is amazingly visceral and satisfying, the story has a fantastic hook (to me), and climbing stuff never ceases to be fun. And the setting is just unique in games and realized so well. I'm not a huge history buff but I really get a kick out of it, especially having been in Jerusalem and recognizing certain landmarks that are still there.

I mean I don't really have anything to say to convince people that didn't like it otherwise. Yes, it's repetitive, but so are most FPS games. They are reliant on you liking the actions enough to repeat them.

One thing I'd like to see improved in the sequel is more approaches to assassinations. They were too scripted in AC, and usually only one or two ways to do them. I want it to be more like in Hitman where there are many different approaches and escape routes to take from your target. Like you should be able to kill him without ANYONE knowing until you're long gone, or just charge in and stab him if that's what you want.

#69 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

I personally found GTA to be far more repetetive merely due to the length of the game itself.  Yes, there's boat & helicopter missions, but the game has something like 100+ missions, and those constitute maybe 5 of them.  So yes, on paper if you list the amount of different things all the missions require of you the player, then GTA has more variety.  However, by virtue of the fact that I spent about 10-15 hours in AC's gameworld and 40+ in GTA4's (just to make it through the game in the initial playthrough), GTA4 came across as far more repetetive to me.

Then there's also the debate of procedural missions based on enemy AI versus the planned out chase sequences in GTA4 that not only follow a scripted path the entire time, but grant the target(s) invincibility until a certain point on the path is reached, which leads to even more repetition on retries than a mission where your target moves unpredictability.

#70 Posted by Oni (2115 posts) -
Vaxadrin said:

Then there's also the debate of procedural missions based on enemy AI versus the planned out chase sequences in GTA4 that not only follow a scripted path the entire time, but grant the target(s) invincibility until a certain point on the path is reached, which leads to even more repetition on retries than a mission where your target moves unpredictability."
Oh god don't get me started on those missions. Supreme bullshit. THAT is bad game design. Post that shit in your thread about it.
#71 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

We should just make a new thread entitled "the least sandbox 'sandbox game' ever".

#72 Edited by Oni (2115 posts) -

I think we should go around the world replacing peoples' copies of GTA 4 with Crackdown so they can play a FUN sandbox game.

I don't mean to be hating on GTA 4 so much, it's not a bad game. But it doesn't do anything new that GTA 3 and its sequels didn't do, and in many ways it's a step back from those games.

#73 Posted by demonbear (1878 posts) -

I'll quote Jeff Gerstmann about too human, fits my opinion here too :

" It's OKAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY! "

#74 Posted by RagingLion (1377 posts) -

It's definitely one of my favourite games.  Was really hyped for it before it game out and I loved it when I played it.  The overall presentation and atmosphere appealed to me and the scope of what was going on.  Exploring those massive and really beautiful cities of Jerusalem, Damascus and Acre was so cool.  As someone else said, I really liked taking the time to collect the clues and plan out the assassinations in detail (though sometimes the plans completely failed to come off).  You did perform some repetitive tasks and yes there is some more potential thas is untapped, but the huge and beautiful world that you had complete freedom in were enough for me.  The medieval eastern background was something really different and new to experience as well.  Thought the story was good as well - quite liked the Desmond stuff as well.

Definitely excited for AC2.  Looked at all that stuff at the end - I reckon it will either be in Japan or in Aztec/Mayan central America.  Both would be really interesting environments to play in but it will be interesting to see if the creators can pull it off it in those different environments.

#75 Posted by gamingbloke (6 posts) -

I don't think many hated the game, it's just that did not not live up to anyone's expectations or the massive hype that Jade fucking Raymond created. I personally found Assassin's Creed to be an adequate tech demo where the game offers incredible ideas but doesn't even bother to explore them. The premise of the storyline is unique but poorly written, the combat is fun to watch yet its shallow, the A.I. is moronic, the exploration is suprisingly limited making the game surprisingly linear, the side missions are repetive, and the assassin mission structures are weak. It was enjoyable for a while but the game grew tiresome for me. It's not bad and it's not great either.

#76 Posted by pirate_republic (1117 posts) -

I rented it, beat it in a week, and took it back.

It was a great experience, I'm very glad I rented it and finished it, but there is not NEARLY as much replay value as I would have expected. Not worth a buy, great rent though.

#77 Posted by gla55jAw (2705 posts) -

i just picked this up for $18 at gamestop, and I find it very addicting and fun, although I have a feeling it will turn out like the GTA games for me, which after a few more days It'll just be repetitive and boring and I wont finish it. But so far I enjoy it more than GTA 4.

#78 Posted by hazelnutman (1097 posts) -

I agree with you. AC was great!

The Desmond story sucked, but the Altair one was great. I loved the twist at the end.

#79 Posted by AlucardsFate (4 posts) -

I've been so on the fence about this game...I don't know whether or not I should buy it...I get a god damn different reaction from everyone...there is no consensus of "it's good" or "it sucks" or "its alright"...everyone is all over about it. Is it cheap now?  PS3 games are expensive and their value doesn't drop very fast at all...and I gotta budget wisely now...I can't buy games as crazily as I used to.  (

#80 Posted by DoctorTran (1576 posts) -

I still haven't beat it. I don't know why I haven't but I would love to.

#81 Posted by Aurelito (721 posts) -

This game is totally sh!t. that gal is wrong about "Assassins". they were basicaly persian not arabian.  anyway no one gives a crap to this. Hideo Kojima is the best guy in keeping history clean and pure in his games without involving it with his personal opinions and he is a developer since 80s, i don't except this fact from a n00binator.
I'm sayin this because Gameplay and graphics does not even worth of mentioning.  also whole game is a glitch. ending of game is worse than super mario bros 2. blah(should i repeat in three time? so balh blah blah. this scroll about "WHY AC SUX" never ends)

#82 Posted by AlucardsFate (4 posts) -
I love Super Mario Bros 2....

#83 Posted by chronicsmoke (1001 posts) -

yeah i thought it was a pretty awesome game,it does get a little repetetive but still a great game

#84 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

This is a great game, it came through my rental service today, and It's a really amazing gaming experience.

#85 Edited by jakob187 (21787 posts) -

I liked the game when I first played it.

The second time through made me hate it.

I cannot honestly like a game when you can beat every boss in the game by throwing a knife at them after you get your knives.  Moreover, the flag hunting is only good for achievement whores, and the points are not worth that much searching.  Yes, the exploration is pretty awesome...until you realize that it's the same buildings skinned and plotted over and over and over again.  The enemy combat is never difficult at all until you get about 8-10 guys on you, which rarely ever happens.  Moreover, everyone stands around in a big circle until someone makes the "oh, I'll jump in and pretend I'm worthwhile" bullshit, and even then...you can just start focusing on him and beat his ass.

I liked the story, but it was contrived and grabbing at strings that didn't exist.  It was like I was listening to Master of Puppets, except there were no solos and James' voice was replaced by Dio:  pretty good, but it doesn't have the kind of stuff that makes it amazing.  I think the initial surprise for everyone was given away FAR too soon in the game, and that really killed it all for me.

Also...I hate games that won't let me skip cutscenes, no matter how many times I've played through it.

I recommend to anyone that they play through the game two times, not just once.  If you can still stomach the horrific design flaws after that, then congratulations on enjoying the game.  If you can't, then you are in the same crowd with a million others.
#86 Posted by CharleyTony (924 posts) -

my personnal review is that AC is awesome but once you finished it and have seen most of the story, I think that this game has ZERO replay value

I would give it a 8.5/10 because it is a great game, its beautiful and the story is intriguing, cant wait to see where that IP goes next...

This kind of story driven game without any online multiplayer kinda kill the game once you finished it.

That is why there are so many AC used copies at Gamestop and EB games ....

#87 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

I actually enjoyed Assassin's Creed alot, I don't understand the hate. I haven't played AC in awhile though, I ought to go back and get all of the flags in each city.

#88 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Assassin's Creed was one of the top 3 best games last year. And is still in the amazing games list. It's an amazing game.

#89 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

I'm trying to play through it now...but I don't think I'm going to finish it. It's sorta fun, I like the animations alot, but overall it just seems a little repetitive and the story seems sorta boring. And the absence of subtitles annoys me as well as it's hard to understand what they're saying a lot of the time. I really wanted to like this game, but I don't think I'll be finishing it. I would probably say 3/5 stars from what I've played. Maybe 2. But probably 3, because it has a lot of cool things about it, just not enough to interest me to play through all the way.

#90 Posted by HistoryInRust (6434 posts) -
CharleyTony said:
"my personnal review is that AC is awesome but once you finished it and have seen most of the story, I think that this game has ZERO replay value
Seriously?

I could spend hours just fiddling with the freerunning mechanic.  It reminds me of the old Tony Hawk Pro Skater games, in which the most interesting thing to do was divine a massive line you could run and chain together a ridiculous combination of moves.
#91 Posted by DarkEnzanArikado (189 posts) -

I have yet to finish it. Its a fun game, just too repetitive for me.

#92 Posted by DavidSnakes (675 posts) -
Oni said:
"I think we should go around the world replacing peoples' copies of GTA 4 with Crackdown so they can play a FUN sandbox game.

I don't mean to be hating on GTA 4 so much, it's not a bad game. But it doesn't do anything new that GTA 3 and its sequels didn't do, and in many ways it's a step back from those games."

Since you seem to love shoving your opinion down everyone's throat, I think I 'll do the same:

Crackdown was terrible.  I played it for about 15 minutes and never played it again, it was that boring.  Assassin's Creed put me to sleep an hour after I first played that.  That's pathetic.  As for GTA4, it did several things that the GTA3 trilogy didn't do.  The consistent tone, the incredible story, the choices, the refined gunplay.  Most of the improvements aren't "back of the box" features.  They elevated that game beyond the intelligence of 90% of the public, that's why everyone hates it. 
#93 Posted by LiquidPrince (16248 posts) -

I've played this game for around 50 hours or so. Loved it and am looking forward to Assassin's Creed 2.

#94 Posted by Milkman (17483 posts) -

I really don't understand the hate for Assassin's Creed either. It was one of my favorite games of 2007.

#95 Posted by StaticFalconar (4850 posts) -

Other than the fact it has no replay value, the story of the game was very good and overall gameplay was alright. Perhaps a bit overhyped by nerds beating off to Jade Raymond, but I say it was still worth the money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.