Should I even bother with Assassin's Creed 1?

#1 Posted by Gnomicidal (81 posts) -

I got the pack of them all on Steam a while ago, but I've heard so much bad stuff about the first one. Should I even bother myself with it or just jump into 2+Brotherhood?

#2 Posted by Binman88 (3679 posts) -

I think you should. It's a great game.

#3 Posted by Beforet (2885 posts) -

If you have it then go ahead. It's not as good as the others, but it's a fine enough game on its own merits.

#4 Posted by CitizenKane (10501 posts) -

It's the lesser of all of the AC games, but is still fun to play and worth the time.

#5 Posted by Gnomicidal (81 posts) -

If the story is worth it I definitely will. Is the story integral to the whole story line of the following games?

#6 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2661 posts) -

I really enjoyed the first one at the time. It's repetitive, but it's all optional. I would plow through the story of 1 and 2 and then go all out in Brotherhood.

A lot of the negativity comes from the fact that Jeff and Ryan remember it being worse than it actually was. They tend to look back on games as being pretty shitty even when they were decent.

The first one sold 8 million copies and spawned a huge franchise for a reason. It is by far the worst of the three, but it does a good job of setting up the story and introducing the basic gameplay. Definitely worth playing if you own it.

#7 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

it gets a little repetitive doing the same thing for each of the assassinations, but i enjoyed it. 2 is way better though. 

and yeah the story is really integral so from that aspect it recommend playing it

#8 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3321 posts) -

The story is fine, and the game is very good, but you need some patience to grind through the repetitive mission structure.

#9 Posted by Gnomicidal (81 posts) -

Sounds good. I like the idea of just skipping all the side stuff and plowing through the story.

#10 Posted by onarum (1947 posts) -

I quite enjoyed it, can be a little repetitive though, but it's still a good game.

#11 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (245 posts) -

In Comparison to the other AC Games, it doesn't fare well but on it's own merits, it's a fine game.

#12 Posted by cartvader (142 posts) -
@Gnomicidal said:
Sounds good. I like the idea of just skipping all the side stuff and plowing through the story.
What this guys said especially don't spend the time getting all the flags or killing all the templars.
#13 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Yes you should bother with it.

#14 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

It's my favourite AC game, so I'd say yes.

#15 Edited by Vorbis (2748 posts) -

AC2 is definitely better but I still preferred AC1. Some might call me crazy but I really loved the setting of the first game and you actually felt like an Assassin, even though Atair was a huge jerk. Not to mention at the time the tech was amazing.

#16 Posted by 71Ranchero (2582 posts) -

The original is still a great game. If your wanting to be invested in the story then go for it. 

#17 Posted by TekZero (2638 posts) -

AC 1 burned me out.  After S ranking that game, I never even bothered with AC 2 or brotherhood.  A decision I'm thinking about changing. 

#18 Posted by onarum (1947 posts) -
@TekZero said:
AC 1 burned me out.  After S ranking that game, I never even bothered with AC 2 or brotherhood.  A decision I'm thinking about changing. 
You can get AC2 deluxe edition on PSN for 10 bucks if you have a PS3, well at least it was 10 bucks about a week ago when I got it, I think it was on sale or something.
#19 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -

I sure as well wouldn't again. 

#20 Posted by DeeGee (2098 posts) -

It's not as good and very repetitive, but it offers a totally different experience then the later games. You're not just a witty lad who's climbing all over buildings because he can, it's a much somber and fully realized location and mood that the later games can't pull off.

#21 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

It's a very repetitive game and not much fun to play.. If you're trying to get into the series, I'd definitely start with it though, because it makes the second all the more impressive.

But I'd play through the first quickly, skip the side missions and any optional crap, or else you'll likely be completely burned out before you move onto the second game.

#22 Posted by BonOrbitz (2089 posts) -

I was just wondering about AC1 recently as well. Never played it, but am curious. Aren't there hidden flags or something to collect in the game that adds more depth to the story? How necessary are these?

#23 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

I enjoyed it but I think you can safely skip it.

#24 Posted by JoeyRavn (4888 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

I was just wondering about AC1 recently as well. Never played it, but am curious. Aren't there hidden flags or something to collect in the game that adds more depth to the story? How necessary are these?

Completely optional. They are not even justified by the plot. The feathers in AC2 (and Brotherhood, IIRC) do have a background explanation, and you needed them to get a certain item in AC2, but they are still just collectibles.

If you critical path the first one, it may take you around 7 or 8 hours to finish it. It's not a long game if you just do the minimum required to advance the story. I S-Ranked it and loved it. Besides, it'll make you realize how much of an improvement AC2 is over AC1 :P

#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (34645 posts) -

Unless you've already played the second game, go for it.

#26 Posted by cartvader (142 posts) -
@bonorbitz: Flags & Knights Templar are 100% unnecessary... all they do is get you achievements on the 360 version.  It might help in getting your health to max quicker but combat is relatively easy.
#27 Posted by Brendan (7522 posts) -

If you do the minimum amount of side missions, and just do what you need to get to the assassination missions, then that stuff is fun. I would recommend that you play it.

#28 Posted by TooWalrus (12986 posts) -

I'm super glad I played it- it's short, it gives you an idea of what's going on in the world of Assassin's Creed, it may be repetitive, but you'll never get stuck, and you can easily burn right through it.

#29 Posted by DuskVamp (679 posts) -

I couldn't get into the first one, so skipped it and I loved the 2nd. No harm in giving it a shot though, see what you think.

#30 Posted by blaze503 (189 posts) -

yes you should, i also picked them up recently and have played 1 and 2 and they are both great games. 2 is way better but 1 is still worth playing none the less even if it is just for story.

#31 Posted by Jimbo (9711 posts) -

Fuck yes. Hell of a game.

#32 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Yes, you should. It's not as terrible as people make it out to be. Well, except for the whole Desmond part which really ruined everything for me.

#33 Posted by Empirepaintball (1385 posts) -

I thought that it was very innovative, but the other games are so much better in quality. It was also extremely repetitive. 

#34 Posted by fatguy2012 (4 posts) -

I thought it was a pretty decent game. The side quests/investigations get fairly repetitive pretty quickly, but each assassination mission is unique enough to warrant some interest. Match that with largish open world, and a nice set up for the conspiracies that are further elaborated on in the later games, and I think you'll have a entertaining experience.

Also, playing the first game will make you appreciate everything Ubisoft fixed/improved upon in AC2 that much more.

#35 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (602 posts) -

No. The game is shit.

#36 Edited by DG991 (1344 posts) -

I enjoyed it.

I am actually not enjoying brotherhood because I am a little bored with roof climbing and stuff and the story doesn't really interest me. Maybe it is cause everything the bomb squad said pumped me up and now I am expecting too much.

But about AC1

It is true it is repetitive. Still visually stunning and the wall climbing and stuff is almost the same as AC2. Combats a little worse.

Jump in, play the first. Wait a month play the second. Wait a month play brotherhood.

All B+ to A games imo. Something abour brotherhood just isn't clicking for me though.

#37 Posted by Gnomicidal (81 posts) -

Man this game is rocky on Steam. I am using the Xbox wireless sync for the PC and the buttons are all messed up. On top of that, you can't even remap them to their proper spot because the remap function doesn't recognize me pushing the triggers. 

Wow, how do devs get away with this? Kind of wish I had the 360 version now.

#38 Posted by notsonic (205 posts) -

i just finished it, thought it was great. its a little repetitive sure, but I also didn't try to play through it in one sitting.

i played the pc version and the added mission types help curb the repetitiveness of it. also didnt have the control issues @Gnomicidal is talking about. used a wired 360 pad and everything seemed fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.