This could have been a much better game

#1 Posted by StarFoxA (5157 posts) -

There are so many fantastic concepts in Assassin's Creed, and those have made me really enjoy the game. However, there are so many little things that the developers decided to include that nearly ruins the entire experience. Beggars (also the insane people), the fact that nearly anything triggers a guard's attention (very annoying during missions where you have to stay unseen), how guards throw rocks at you while you're climbing, guards constantly grabbing and throwing you to no effect (triggering a long throw animation), the long, pointless dialogue sequences (and if you fail an informer mission or something, you have to watch that again), and the timed assassination missions (not fun AT ALL).

Yeah, I just felt like fuming about the game real quick, since it had been pissing me off earlier this evening when I had been playing it. Who else shares my opinions?

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18990 posts) -

The game was a lot of fun but, it did have its flaws.

#3 Posted by GreatFunStuff (55 posts) -

i thought the rock throwing and dialogue set-up was appropriate. but those market stall things that u dove through seemed completely useless because they slowed u down, and i wished there were more ways to go about an assassination. like environment kills and stuff. slice a rope and drop a chandelier. kick barrels or tip them over to slow down guards. stuff like that

#4 Posted by StarFoxA (5157 posts) -
@GreatFunStuff: The reason the rock throwing pisses me off is the fact that it should be a streamlined escape, but then I get knocked off a building and am forced to fight the guards (while it seems like escaping and hiding is encouraged). The dialogue set-up is fine the first time, but if you fail it and try again it should just start the mission right away.
#5 Posted by Hexogen (766 posts) -

Assassin's Creed made a really good first impression on me. For the first few days I played it I thought it was an absolutely awesome game, but thanks to the repetitiveness of the missions and a bunch of little niggling issues I soon changed my opinion. By the fifth or sixth assassination, I thought, 'You know what? Fuck this game!' and haven't played it since. There weren't nearly enough mission types (and one of those mission types was literally 'sit down and watch a cutscene'), and those mission types stayed exactly the same throughout the entire game, so the game got really boring after a while because you were just doing the same things over and over again. Granted, the repetitiveness probably would not have set in as quickly had I not been going for the achievements, but since I was I climbed every viewpoint, saved every citizen, and did every investigation mission until I just got sick of it all and quit playing.

I also had many small issues with the game, most of which the OP covered. I can usually forgive a few minor problems here and there, but combined with my fatigue of the missions, it all added up.  It was a game that had a lot of potential, but they really screwed it up. I mean, I can certainly understand why people like it so much--heck, I liked it for the first few hours too--but by the middle of the game I just found it a chore to play and couldn't take it anymore. That being said, I am hopeful for Assassin's Creed II. Assassin's Creed is a series with a great core concept; all it really needs is some fleshing out.

#6 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

My main problem with Assassin's Creed was it just felt very... "So what?" to me.
The world that created was extremely detailed and large, but that doesn't make it one that's fun to play around in.  Overall, I enjoyed the assassination missions and level of freedom in movement, but just did not have the endurance to deal with the dull plot delivery and lack of interesting activities in the world.  I eventually went back and finished it last year, but it definitely was not a game I enjoyed thoroughly.

#7 Posted by MattyFTM (14384 posts) -

Hopefully Assassin's Creed 2 will fix it's issues. It's looking good so far, so fingers crossed.

#8 Posted by JDDrewes (250 posts) -

How many times have you guys heard "Thief! You dare steal in my Presence?! That will cost you your life!"

#9 Posted by ShadowKing7 (753 posts) -

Even with the flaws stated, I still enjoyed the game.  The assassinations and free running never ceased to be fun for me.  Plus, it looks like Assassin's Creed 2 is going to fix most, if not all of the flaws of the first game, so yay.

#10 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -

My only problem was the unskipable cutscenes and the 30 minute long credits before you can replay

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.