Why is the Average review score 1 star?

#1 Posted by Jedted (2346 posts) -
#2 Posted by Thordain (959 posts) -

Little problems with the stars for reviews. My suggestion is to just read the reviews.

#3 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Giant Bomb knows as a living, breathing entity that Assassin's Creed is almost as bad as the game in your avatar.

#4 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Review stars are fucking nuts.

Arkthemaniac said:

"Giant Bomb knows as a living, breathing entity that Assassin's Creed is almost as bad as the game in your avatar."
Monopoly is a classic. AC is a great game.
#5 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Jayge said:
"Review stars are fucking nuts.

Arkthemaniac said:
"Giant Bomb knows as a living, breathing entity that Assassin's Creed is almost as bad as the game in your avatar."
Monopoly is a classic. AC is a great game."
I was talking to Jedted.
#6 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Jayge said:
"Review stars are fucking nuts.

Arkthemaniac said:
Monopoly is a classic. AC is a great game."
I was talking to Jedted."
I think that was the joke.

And I disagree on both, Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed were awesome, Mass Effect more so.
#7 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
I was talking to Jedted."
I think that was the joke.

And I disagree on both, Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed were awesome, Mass Effect more so."
Good one. Who's joking now?
#8 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
sidescroller said:
"Well, I've certainly lost a degree of respect for one of the people here."
Ah, well, let's take a look at Mass Effect from my point of view:
    -Egregious amounts of pop-in
    -Within 3 hours of playing an action RPG, I had killed 20 things, and then talked with people for the rest of the time.
    -Every time a rocket was fired, my teammates would run into it.
    -If they didn't run into it, it would home in on me.
    -My teammates ended up getting killed far more than they killed anyone.
    -I knocked a girl out because of a dialogue choice that I thought would end the goddamn conversation. That got me into trouble, and therefore made me deal with more talking.
    -The cover system was annoying and awkward for me when I could use it.
    -Getting killed with one shot that is basically out of my control is bullshit.

My feelings on Mass Effect is that they worried too much about the story and forgot about great gameplay. Gears of War came out a year prior and had infinitely better combat. Therefore, why play Mass Effect? For the heavy handed storytelling that feels like a second rate Orson Scott Card novel written by someone other than Orson Scott Card? No thanks. I can read Orson Scott Card books without colorful pictures.

In fact, why don't people obsessed with story in games (i.e people who play Final Fantasy) just READ A GODDAMN BOOK?

#9 Posted by Rowr (5537 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
O no you didnt.

You go to hell, you go to hell and you die.
#10 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

It's not a problem with the rating system.  It just sucked that much.  = P

To get serious now, AC was a decent game, but for as many things that it did right, there was something to offset it that was done wrong.

-- Free exploration, but limited to what chapter you were in
-- Decent combat, but limited to a handful of moves
-- Main and side quests, but grouped into 3 or 4 basic subgroups
-- Cool story, but laid out in boring ass dialogue
-- Horse riding, but it controls like a tank
-- Aggressive AI, but it'll forget that it saw you just jump into a rose garden
-- Major assassinations, but all can be killed with a throwing knife once you get them back

In general, the game was highly flawed and didn't deserve the high level of praise it got.  Most people just looked past the flaws because the game was something new and original, looked pretty, and they could slit a muthafucka's throat.
#11 Posted by TEAMHOLT (437 posts) -
Jedted said:
"I'm looking at GB's player reviews for the Xbox 360 and most people gave it 4 or 5 stars yet the average is ONE.  Somebody wanna tell me how the hell that makes sense?"
It's probably just a flaw in the way the system calculates averages. You'll probably notice it on some other games, as well as notice how "All Reviews" and system-specific reviews sometimes won't match, even when it's a console-exclusive game and the number of reviews are the same. I don't know if it's been brought up in the bug forum or not, you might want to look.
#12 Posted by Jedted (2346 posts) -
TEAMHOLT said:
"Jedted said:
"I'm looking at GB's player reviews for the Xbox 360 and most people gave it 4 or 5 stars yet the average is ONE.  Somebody wanna tell me how the hell that makes sense?"
It's probably just a flaw in the way the system calculates averages. You'll probably notice it on some other games, as well as notice how "All Reviews" and system-specific reviews sometimes won't match, even when it's a console-exclusive game and the number of reviews are the same. I don't know if it's been brought up in the bug forum or not, you might want to look."

That's what i figured, thanks for giving a serious answer to my question.

If you people would look at the player reviews for the xbox 360 you'll see most people gave it 4-5 stars so i was curious why that wasn't the average.  I didn't intend for this to turn into a debate on whether or not the game sucked just pointing out my observation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.