Asteroids Movie Details

• 106 results
Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -

Destroying these asteroids won't bring our father back!
Skepticism surrounding the Asteroids movie is already running pretty high here at Giant Bomb HQ, and IGN's interview with producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura isn't really helping things. Here's what he has to say about why he decided to make an Asteroids movie in the first place.

I was attracted to Asteroids, plain and simple, because I think what it tells you is that there's going to be this big thing in space.

As stupid a justification for a movie as that sounds, I suppose there's really not much more inspiration you could've culled from the name Asteroids. So, aside from big-ass space stuff, what is Asteroids actually going to be about?

We've crafted a really strong, deep mythology for the thing. Without divulging too much about it, it's two lead characters - two brothers - who have to go through a seminal experience to figure out their relationship, against this huge backdrop.

OK, so in between expensive CG space sequences, we'll get a story of personal growth about two brothers who don't get along until they have to put their differences aside to team up against the adversity of menacing space rocks. What's the over/under on one of them being super-responsible, and the other one a loose cannon? If there's not some sort of space academy/mining operation conceit paired with the haunting memory of a dead parent/colleague, I will eat my goddamn space-hat.
Staff
#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -

Destroying these asteroids won't bring our father back!
Skepticism surrounding the Asteroids movie is already running pretty high here at Giant Bomb HQ, and IGN's interview with producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura isn't really helping things. Here's what he has to say about why he decided to make an Asteroids movie in the first place.

I was attracted to Asteroids, plain and simple, because I think what it tells you is that there's going to be this big thing in space.

As stupid a justification for a movie as that sounds, I suppose there's really not much more inspiration you could've culled from the name Asteroids. So, aside from big-ass space stuff, what is Asteroids actually going to be about?

We've crafted a really strong, deep mythology for the thing. Without divulging too much about it, it's two lead characters - two brothers - who have to go through a seminal experience to figure out their relationship, against this huge backdrop.

OK, so in between expensive CG space sequences, we'll get a story of personal growth about two brothers who don't get along until they have to put their differences aside to team up against the adversity of menacing space rocks. What's the over/under on one of them being super-responsible, and the other one a loose cannon? If there's not some sort of space academy/mining operation conceit paired with the haunting memory of a dead parent/colleague, I will eat my goddamn space-hat.
Staff
#2 Posted by spiceninja (3056 posts) -

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and it's sure to be shit since the guy who directed all the Mummy movies is behind it.

#3 Posted by MatthewMeadows (588 posts) -

Is this all one big joke?

Like seriously?

Asteroids?
#4 Posted by lukeissxc (245 posts) -

Sounds lame

#5 Posted by Tovan (633 posts) -

I'm still trying to figure out if they're joking, or morons.

#6 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Wow...

#7 Posted by raidingkvatch (1150 posts) -

I hope this IP cost a fuck of a lot of money to turn into a film just to punish this level of stupidity

#8 Posted by Mouth (138 posts) -

This already sounds stupid.

#9 Edited by wrecks (2232 posts) -

what. the. fuck. is. going. on?

#10 Posted by SaucySala (344 posts) -

Great reason to buy the rights....

"Uhhhh... I don't know why we bought it... Space? Space is cool, right?"

#11 Posted by CaptSuavity (53 posts) -

I laughed so hard at those quotes, then I cried a little because I think they're serious. 

#12 Posted by MjHealy (1839 posts) -

This is a space Dirty Harry isin't?

#13 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

Really? I mean... really?

Is this a joke? Because if it is, it's not very funny to me. Rather, it's just sad. I've seen lots of games remade into movies, but this? THIS? What kind of idiot would make, or even attempt to make, or announce making, or ever THINK of making a movie like THIS?

#14 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -

TANG BAIT!!!

#15 Posted by killdave (1073 posts) -
@Kou_Leifoh said:
" TANG BAIT!!! "
lol
#16 Posted by Chewii101 (820 posts) -

Rofl....Brad's take on the script was dead on.

#17 Posted by heartlessomen (115 posts) -

eat that space-hat!!!

#18 Posted by 71Ranchero (2720 posts) -

Brokeback Asteroid?

#19 Posted by EndlessMike (514 posts) -

Im in!

This movie sounds space-tacular!

#20 Posted by Contra (247 posts) -

Predict lines that will be in this movie

"Dammit, it's too big.  You'll never make it."
"We will if we work together!"

#21 Posted by Mikl (157 posts) -

Oh Ryan do you even have a space-hat?

#22 Posted by John1912 (1853 posts) -

Why in gods name would you even want to use the Asteroids name, I assume they have to pay someone to use it.  Just fucking make up w/e you want for a space movie and pick a name out of a hat.  Either way its going to amount to the same BS and prob make more sence then just Asteriods!.  God, I really hope the QL on this for the movie tie in game is priceless, and not just, yup it sucks.  Please let it have good material for jokes!

#23 Posted by Death_Burnout (3796 posts) -

I hope this is Supernatural in Space...because then Joe Dodson could be in it!

#24 Posted by elektrixx (308 posts) -

"ARRRGH I CAN'T ESCAPE - IT JUST KEEPS BRINGING ME BACK TO THE OTHER SIDE!"

#25 Posted by ferrarimanf355 (404 posts) -

I don't know why, but a movie based on San Francisco Rush 2049, based on the visual style of the Speed Racer movie, would be awesome. 

#26 Posted by Fiveoutafive (62 posts) -

I think I saw this movie, with Bruce Willis, and that lead singers daughter, Ben Afflac is in it and bangs said lead singers daughter? Lol I think it was called Ragnarok or Apocalypse. *spoilers* Bruce Willis dies!

#27 Posted by StarFoxA (5144 posts) -

I feel really sorry for the writer of this movie.

#28 Posted by brocool (701 posts) -

I've heard worse..

#29 Posted by crusnchill (856 posts) -
@PlasmaBeam44:
Hey! The first one of the 'the mummy' movies was quite good. He just didn't know when to leave a good thing be. And instead started kicking and punching the dead horse that it now is, into the z-list craparama that it HAS become.
#30 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

Movie of the year....guaranteed!

#31 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
@Mikl said:
" Oh Ryan do you even have a space-hat? "
Actually, I don't have any kinds of hats. Suckers!
Staff
#32 Edited by lolwot (257 posts) -

deleted

#33 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1862 posts) -

i thought for a second that this was a joke, but guess not. at least we'll have material for a new TANG when this comes out.

#34 Posted by MKO619 (85 posts) -

"My father died mining those astroids"

#35 Posted by Urmean (599 posts) -

Okay, I've got it.

We put a guy in space, and there are asteroids there.

BAM, INSTANT HIT.

#36 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

Is your hat a turban?!

#37 Posted by Trilogy (2648 posts) -

So basically, this is going to be a sci-fi movie with the only ties to the game being the  name "asteroids". What the fuck is the point.

#38 Posted by TheHT (11090 posts) -

when i read that description i LOLED HARDCORE.

#39 Posted by sdauz (430 posts) -

my ass couldve made a better story than that

#40 Posted by Jimbo7676 (714 posts) -

The anticipation is nigh on palpable...

#41 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

lmao

#42 Posted by elcalavera (343 posts) -

I really wonder what kind of nut has the imagination to come up with this, he should either be put in an asylum or he should get some kind of award. And besides that, I really wonder what the game will be like.

#43 Posted by Krataur (356 posts) -

I for one am looking forward to this.  In fact, he should continue with these movies.  After Asteroids, move on to Centipede, then Pinball, and of course we can't forget Boxing!

*sigh*

#44 Posted by auspiciousqueue (1298 posts) -

I'm in awe of the reasoning behind the need for this movie.

#45 Posted by Standing_Gopher (129 posts) -

Dude, what?

#46 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -

The producers of this movie are con men, why?  Because they know everyone is going to see it!

#47 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

what the hell? are they serious about this? jeez! 

#48 Posted by Dethfish (3638 posts) -

"I think what it tells you is that there's going to be this big thing in space." 

Sold!

Brothers who have a seminal experience sounds great too.

#49 Posted by YoungDetective (93 posts) -

Maybe it's another Funny People viral marketing thing?

#50 Posted by CallMeRotten (229 posts) -

So why did the Writer's Guild go on strike again?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.