Asura's Wrath should have more qtes

#1 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

Asura's Wrath should have been more quick timey. As it stands now it is a god awful action game surrounded by some admittedly cool scenes and the single worst part of the demo is the part where you have to fight a dude directly. It just seems like busywork to be done to unlock the quicktime events, except when the events finally start they have a weird problem; there aren't enough prompts. There are long periods of time where your just staring at the screen, waiting for a prompt, and when the prompt finally happens it has timing so forgiving that it becomes pointless. If there were more prompts then the qtes would be less boring.

The non-qte action is crap. After playing Birth By Sleep I found that bit physically painful. The entire time I was thinking, "Why don't I just quit out of this and play DC universe online?"

I would have enjoyed the game more if it had been more like heavy rain. If this had no pretensions to being an action game then I would not have hated it so much. Hell I played the 13-2 demo right afterwards which is also really quiktimey and loved it.

#2 Posted by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

That is literally the exact opposite of what I would want from that game.

#3 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

In any other case I'd agree with you, but honestly do the guys that made this seem capable of making a good traditional action game? The QTEs are all its got.

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

@kashif1 said:

@JasonR86 said:

In any other case I'd agree with you, but honestly do the guys that made this seem capable of making a good traditional action game? The QTEs are all its got.

If the team can't figure out how to have a battle without a QTE then they need to re-think the battle. QTEs should almost never be an option for anything.

#5 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@kashif1 said:

The entire time I was thinking, "Why don't I just quit out of this and play DC universe online?"

It's interesting you mention this because after I received my new release order yesterday, I had this revelation. Sitting bored to tears at the intro where it is just a few quick-time events spread out over the course of fifteen minutes of cinematics made my visibly sigh, exit out and then put in Syndicate.

For which then it was already eight at night, and I realized attempting to kickstart a fresh experience maybe wasn't the best decision no matter which route I took. I will just end this by saying that Asura's Wrath doesn't exactly open with a bang, but I am still optimistic.

#6 Posted by Klaptos (180 posts) -

@kashif1 said:

@JasonR86 said:

CC2 made a bunch of fighting games, mostly(maybe all?) of the naruto universe. I've only played the Ultimate series for PS3 and I find the combat simple but great.

#7 Posted by vinsanity09 (210 posts) -

@kashif1: First time I saw this thread, I said to myself "this dude is crazy". Then I played the "game" (it's an interactive anime, I think it's good, but not 70$ good) and I think he's right, the combat parts are boring and always the same, I mean you mash the B and Y buttons until you fill a gauge. Less of that and more QTEs please­.

#8 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -
@Klaptos said:

@kashif1 said:

@JasonR86 said:

CC2 made a bunch of fighting games, mostly(maybe all?) of the naruto universe. I've only played the Ultimate series for PS3 and I find the combat simple but great.

CC2 also developed all the old .hack games.  Kind of a pity people forget those and automatically think to the Naruto games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.