Demo impressions

• 73 results
#1 Edited by Scottish_Sin (219 posts) -

Just played the demo of this that is now available on Xbox Live. They give you two boss fights to play and it's pretty nuts.

On one hand I enjoyed how crazy it all was but I wasn't a fan of the gameplay as there's quite a lot of QTE's. I came into this fresh as I haven't seen any videos on it so maybe the QTE's are only really used in the boss battles. Either way, I think I kind of enjoyed the spectacle of it more than anything and the demo kind of made me interested in the game.

What did everybody else think?

#2 Posted by jjnen (659 posts) -

So no PS3 vesion?

I don't have x360 at the moment but I've been following this game ever since the reveal trailer which was crazy as it probably gets. If I have understood correctly boss battles are only place with QTEs and you beat regular enemies with some button mashing.

I really hope this game turns out well since it seems so crazy.

#3 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

The QTE's are in some weird shooting session too, and they said they will implement it in cutscenes in a new way. I don't doubt that the QTE's are extremely frequent even in Normal Battles. 

#4 Posted by Lockeyness (187 posts) -

That game is pretty weird. I enjoyed the bat-shit insanity of it, though. It's mostly QTE's and button mashing, which I figured as much when they showed the "real game footage" at E3. It feels a little shallow as far as the combat goes, but it's a gorgeous game with plenty of craziness. All in all, I may end up checking it out at some point.

@Rappelsiini: I believe it's available on the PSN later today if it isn't already.

#5 Posted by DougCL (204 posts) -

i appreciate how weird and how japanese it is, gameplay and all. im probably gonna check it out upon release.

#6 Posted by GunstarRed (4730 posts) -

Not a clue what this game is and I played the demo for about 20 mins. A Panzer-dragoon-button-mashy-quick-timeeventathon-On-the-moon-mash-B,B,B,b,b,bbbbbbbbbbbbbb-em-up?

#7 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2041 posts) -

I enjoyed it, but I think I'll wait until it hits $20 before picking it up.

#8 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1592 posts) -

Thought it was terrible. At least the demo served its purpose and made me realize that I never want to play (and I use the word "play" very loosely) any more of it.

#9 Posted by GlenTennis (3143 posts) -

Guys... you fight another you on the moon while orchestral music is playing, and you get SHOT WITH A SWORD THAT SENDS YOU THROUGH THE EARTH WHILE SPACE GANONDORF IS WATCHING.

Seriously. I cannot be more excited for this game.

#10 Posted by rubberluffy (411 posts) -

Its Panzer Dragoon Ultimate Ninja Storm and I'm sorta okay with that.

#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

@GlenTennis said:

Guys... you fight another you on the moon while orchestral music is playing, and you get SHOT WITH A SWORD THAT SENDS YOU THROUGH THE EARTH WHILE SPACE GANONDORF IS WATCHING.

I was sold when the trailer came out in which your dude punched another dude so hard his own arms fell off.

#12 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Fucking amazing!

#13 Edited by YI_Orange (1071 posts) -

I can't figure out how to download it...What am I missing?

Nevermind, it was on PSN and not the 360.

#14 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4969 posts) -

@GlenTennis said:

My body is ready!

#15 Posted by mano521 (1202 posts) -

@GlenTennis said:

i absolutely love that i wasnt the only one to think Space Gannondorf after seeing that trailer

downloading it now. i expect only quicktime events but we shall see. i dont really mind a well made QTE

#16 Posted by YI_Orange (1071 posts) -

I don't mind QTEs that much and I am more than willing to do them to play this game. If that's the demo I can only imagine how much crazier it can get.

#17 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

I thought it was neat. I don't know if I want to buy it though. I'll definitely check it out one way or another once it's released.

#18 Edited by Pandasteeler43 (44 posts) -

I really liked the demo i just wish i didn't have to tap the B button so quickly and often....

#19 Posted by Rafaelfc (1282 posts) -

the cutscenes are amazing, properly crazy and over the top

the gameplay (to put it technically) sucks ass

#20 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9738 posts) -

@Rappelsiini said:

So no PS3 vesion? I don't have x360 at the moment but I've been following this game ever since the reveal trailer which was crazy as it probably gets. If I have understood correctly boss battles are only place with QTEs and you beat regular enemies with some button mashing. I really hope this game turns out well since it seems so crazy.

It's on PS3 in Japan. I played the demo off the Japanese PSN. It's all in English, oddly enough (not surprising from Capcom, actually). I didn't think it was that fun, but it's totally crazy. Also, no proper aiming inversion. There's an option to invert the camera, but it doesn't affect aiming his energy ball shootings.

#21 Posted by Legxend (124 posts) -

Once the orchestral music started playing on the moon it had won me over.

#22 Posted by SolidOcelot (310 posts) -

Seemed like trash to me, one moderate step up from a simple QTE sequence

#23 Posted by handlas (2545 posts) -

no idea wut tis game was until i played the demo. Dont want to know anything more. QTE the game...with no consequences it felt like. Missed several prompts and didnt seem to matter.

#24 Posted by DillonWerner (1521 posts) -

@GlenTennis said:

#25 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I get the feeling that this game will be ok to play, but GOD DAMN AMAZING to watch!!

#26 Edited by JeanLuc (3518 posts) -

Cutscene and story wise, it looks on the level of Bayonetta. The gameplay however, felt like I was playing the quick time events from a God of War game, and nothing else.

I'm not really sure if its worth my time just to see the crazy shit. Even if it is so god damn crazy! That one guy impaled him with a sword so long, it went straight though the fucking earth!

#27 Posted by MEATBALL (2783 posts) -

@GlenTennis said:

Which would be awesome if you actually played any of it. *shades*

#28 Posted by GlenTennis (3143 posts) -

@MEATBALL said:

@GlenTennis said:

Oh that's right you couldn't control your character on the moon at all...

#29 Posted by Vashyron (189 posts) -

The game is great to look at and utterly insane and I love it for that.

However, I also play games for gameplay and I can't say that I'd feel okay paying 50-60 bucks for seemingly shallow gameplay.

#30 Posted by SomeJerk (2968 posts) -

Played the two demo chapters and f that game. I suffer from fibromyalgia and early onset arthritis, and I'm going to pay for my stupidity in for playing through it for another three four days. Did terrible on two hours of APBR I just played because of the pain.

..just about everything of the game was laughable, though I did appreciate the crazy insane things happening, I like that stuff. Get the demo, play it, you'll see.

#31 Posted by JasonR86 (9372 posts) -

Here are my thoughts:

-I was happy to see SpeedTree well represented.

-Lord, the voice acting. Uhhhh God.

-I wasn't expecting this to be a Sin and Punishment type of game.

-QTE's take all the fun out of fighting something that is supposed to be impressive in scale.

-The boss kind of felt like a bunch of mini games strung together.

-I like the music in Episode 11. Fucking awesome. Antonin Dvorak in the House!!!!

-It feels like I'm playing a Dragon Ball Z game.

-I don't like this.

#32 Posted by siddarth0605 (114 posts) -

This game reminds me of another game that came out recently which was To The Moon. That was also a game where the gameplay was pathetic but it still was an amazing experience because of the story it told and ended up on my top 10 list. This game also looks very simple and dumb in terms of gameplay but that is not the point and as far as conveying the anime feel it was amazing and i loved how over the top and insane it was. Unfortunately Mass Effect 3 comes out in 2 weeks so this game will be on my list and I will buy it in the summer draught

#33 Posted by MEATBALL (2783 posts) -

@GlenTennis said:

@MEATBALL said:

@GlenTennis said:

Oh that's right you couldn't control your character on the moon at all...

I was using hyperbole for the purposes of humour. :(

#34 Edited by Commisar123 (1786 posts) -

I thought it seemed kinda stupid and not in a good way and played like crap. It actually unsold me on the game so I'm not hopeful.

#35 Posted by niko555 (116 posts) -

I was a bit meh in the begining but the awesome music and the sword piercing through the earth moment won me tottaly over.

I cant even imagine how the last boss will be in this game.

#36 Posted by DeathbyYeti (739 posts) -

As a game, it is really poor. As a 3d anime, I had a blast

#37 Posted by Vexxan (4598 posts) -

I guess I should check out this demo, seem there are some crazy stuff going on in this game...

#38 Posted by Grnd_Lb_Knt (179 posts) -

Loved the demo. I haven't played many games like this (I know there are a lot) and it felt good. I think the QTE's mix well with the game play and all of it fits the tone of the game. Which is to say, shit is crazy.

#39 Posted by GlenTennis (3143 posts) -

Also totally didn't know that the Moon music is totally a real existing song.

#40 Posted by mutha3 (4980 posts) -

THAT DUDE GOT STABBED SO HARD HE FLEW ALL THE WAY FROM THE MOON TO EARTH

Hahahahaha, that was the dumbest shit I've seen in a while. I'll definitely be picking this up when it hits 20 bucks or lower.

I wish I could say I was disappointed, because I was expecting a DMC-like...But then I think about the track record of this developer and tell myself that I'd rather have an aggressively dumb QTE fest than a sub-par brawler.

@GlenTennis said:

Yep. Asura's wrath isn't the only crazy Japanese game that lifted from that composition, though. Catherine had the first movement of "From the New World" as a stage theme as well.

#41 Edited by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

I read about in a gaming magazine about soon a year ago.

#42 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

Also, no proper aiming inversion. There's an option to invert the camera, but it doesn't affect aiming his energy ball shootings.

Ugh, seriously? That's a deal breaker for me. I'll have to wait to see if it is in the full version before I pick it up.
#43 Edited by Sammann31415 (63 posts) -

"Batshit crazy" was the exact term I thought of when I played this. I mean, I knew Cyberconnect's team could do something cool when they didn't have to make some fanservice fighting game after an anime, but... wow:

• Fighting a dude with a giant, Earth-piercing sword
  • To Dvorak 9 4th mvt.
  • ON THE MOON

With Skyrim all but taking my soul lately, it's nice to see a Japanese game stick out like a sore thumb among the fray. Is it... good? I don't know. I felt like it was 1 part Heavy Rain, 1 part Ninja Storm, and 1 part Sin and Punishment (which I love), and the sum of those parts shouldn't work... but they kinda do...

I'm not getting this one on day one, but even if this seems like 10 good-ass episodes of Dragon Ball Z, it's... probably going to be worth it? I could see this work as an episodic thing too... you could rope in a ton of people at a lower initial price point, since this is so crazy-go-nuts. But yeah, consider my opinion full of ellipses and question marks. I'm kinda floored and kinda confused.

#44 Posted by ds8k (412 posts) -

Is this available for free Xbox users yet? If there's no PSN demo then that's my best bet at trying this demo out.

#45 Posted by GTCknight (555 posts) -

@GlenTennis: Okay, yes I loved that part. However, if the entire game is just me hitting the B button over and over again; then I don't think people should buy it.

Even though I say all this I'm still going to buy it. I found myself interested in the story and I would like to give the non-Boss fights a chance. At the end of that Demo I found myself wondering if its even possible for the player to die.

#46 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

THAT DUDE GOT STABBED SO HARD HE FLEW ALL THE WAY FROM THE MOON TO EARTH

Hahahahaha, that was the dumbest shit I've seen in a while. I'll definitely be picking this up when it hits 20 bucks or lower.

I wish I could say I was disappointed, because I was expecting a DMC-like...But then I think about the track record of this developer and tell myself that I'd rather have an aggressively dumb QTE fest than a sub-par brawler.

@GlenTennis said:

Yep. Asura's wrath isn't the only crazy Japanese game that lifted from that composition, though. Catherine had the first movement of "From the New World" as a stage theme as well.

catherine AND rock of ages had the same movement from pictures of an exhibition (specifically the hut for fowls legs) so it's not just japanese that do it

#47 Posted by ADAMWD (501 posts) -

Seemed really crazy in an amped up Bayonetta sense. I can handle the QTE's if they aren't strewn throughout the game, and only used for boss battles. I'm still not sure what the combat will be like for the majority of the game.

#48 Posted by kishinfoulux (2077 posts) -

It's absurd, crazy, and over the top. I thought it was pretty damn neat. Yeah it's QTE heavy but it's still fun.

#49 Posted by kishinfoulux (2077 posts) -

@GlenTennis said:

Also if this doesn't get you pumped up nothing will.

#50 Posted by Soulblitz (345 posts) -

I just wonder if the game is going to be short but full of mad boss fights, or if there's actually going to be some downtime in more basic levels with some actual combat instead of constant QTE insanity. Don't get me wrong, I embraced the shit out of the ridiculous Japanese craziness that's constantly spewing out of that game, and I loved the boss stuff, but I wonder if QTEs will get boring if there's no combat in between. I mean, Bayonetta had mad QTEs and stuff in the bosses too, but the "normal" combat was so good that it carried the rest of the game. If this game doesn't have any "normal" combat, it might not work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.