Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Asura's Wrath

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 21, 2012

Asura's Wrath is an interactive anime action title that tells the tale of violent demigod Asura on a quest for vengeance against the cabal of gods that betrayed him.

Morally bankrupt DLC. Asura's Wrath real ending for $7

• 103 results
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills
    http://www.giantbomb.com/observe-this-towering-stack-of-asuras-wrath-dlc/17-5817/

I thought this might be worth a forum discussion rather than just on the comments. Now there have been bad DLC before. On the disc, should have been in the game, half-arsed but I can't think of a game that has the actual ending as DLC. Yeah there is ME3 but that was because of fan reactions, there still IS an ending even if it sucks. This isn't just adding a bit of extra, this game is left with a cliff hanger for you to pay for money. Even worse is they use it as a selling point. Am I the only one who thinks this is too far?
    YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By YI_Orange

Is it worse than a direct sequel for 60 dollars?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think it's unfair to say the ME3 one is because of fan reactions. It's too early to tell for sure, but I'm almost positive they were planning that well before the game was released. I would also argue that ME3 also ends on a cliffhanger, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Either way, this is a terrible practice, and the fact that it's happening to two games within a relatively short period of time (one of which is one of the biggest releases of the year) is unsettling.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Ace829

Between Final Fantasy XIII-2, Mass Effect 3, and now this, good video game endings are hard to come by.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Ace829 said:

Between Final Fantasy XIII-2, Mass Effect 3, and now this, good video game endings are hard to come by.

Huh? The FFXIII-2 ending was fantastic.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By metal_mills
    @YI_Orange said:

Yes. That's a separate product.
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TentPole

This DLC is cheap and looks great.

Also I do not see why this needs a separate forum post.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Enigma777

POP had it's ending as DLC. It was gross.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Even calling it the "True ending" In DLC is kinda bull shitty. All most makes it sound like they are admitting to releasing a unfinished game. 

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Ace829 said:

Yeah, it was cool, but it also wasn't any kind of conclusion. I don't actually have a problem with good cliffhanger endings, though.(but I do have a problem with holding off the last hour of content so you can sell it a month after release.)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By musubi

Doesn't bother me. The real question is if the content they sell you for $60 was worth it and if it wasn't then don't buy it. If you are satisfied....then either buy the extra DLC or don't. I don't have the effort in me to get all nerd ragey about this stuff anymore. Either I buy something or I don't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a765be3dc058
    deactivated-5a765be3dc058

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@YI_Orange said:

Totally this. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood literally picks up immediately where Assassin's Creed 2 left off. The endings of both Asura's Wrath and Assassin's Creed 2 are actually pretty comparable too. The difference is that you get to pay a couple of bucks to get the rest of the story with Asura's Wrath and (at the time) another $60 plus a year of waiting from AC2 to Brotherhood.

What's the beef?

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#13  Edited By Mnemoidian

Are episodic games morally corrupt too?

Also:

Was the core game good? Yes. Did it end on a cliffhanger? Kind of. Did I expect DLC? Not really, considering how poorly it's been reported selling. Will I buy it? Not sure, I'll probably get the first one, because that's the part of the story I was the most curious. Rest depends on how busy I am at release dates.

I do wish people would stop being so bloody offended about cool additional content to cool games. Would be so much better if there was no DLC at all, for any game, am I right?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy

I think it's stupid. Not because of the cliffhanger ending, but the fact that whoever developed/published the game has the intentions of clutching on to you in hope that you'll spend more money just to complete the experience.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By metal_mills
    @VelourMustache said:

@YI_Orange said:

Totally this. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood literally picks up immediately where Assassin's Creed 2 left off. The endings of both Asura's Wrath and Assassin's Creed 2 are actually pretty comparable too. The difference is that you get to pay a couple of bucks to get the rest of the story with Asura's Wrath and (at the time) another $60 plus a year of waiting from AC2 to Brotherhood.

What's the beef?

Because one is a full fledged continuation? That's like saying "What's the point of Empire and Jedi when I could just watch a 10 minute short clip that says how the rebels beat the empire?"
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how most of the people who are crying foul about this haven't played the game, while most of the people who have no problem with it have finished it.

The game lends itself well to this kind of additional content due to the episodic nature of the game and the fact that Asura's Wrath stands well on it's own as a piece of software. By the time you've finished that game, you do not feel like you've gotten an incomplete product. At least I didn't.

I finished the game earlier today and I'm bloody giddy about this announcement seeing as I want more Asura's Wrath and a sequel is quite a long shot.

And yeah

@TentPole said:

Also I do not see why this needs a separate forum post.

This

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By iamjohn

I'm usually on the side of "fuck this shit," but I haven't played Asura's Wrath. Did it have a good ending? Did it feel like there was enough closure even if they left some things open? If so, I don't see why it would matter that they've made DLC to extend the ending. It might not be necessary to having what feels like a "complete" experience and I'm fine with that. It's why I'm not bothered that Ubisoft did the Prince of Persia 2008's Epilogue DLC - aside from the fact that it was kind of terrible, adding on to the ending did nothing to cheapen my experience with the game since I personally loved that ending and didn't need more to it (never mind the fact that the Epilogue clarified and continued absolutely nothing).

But again, I don't know. Maybe the ending to Asura's Wrath is lamer than I Am Alive's non-ending. You guys tell me.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By metal_mills
    @iAmJohn said:

I'm usually on the side of "fuck this shit," but I haven't played Asura's Wrath. Did it have a good ending? Did it feel like there was enough closure even if they left some things open?

Brad said it was a cliffhanger that then continued on to a bigger cliffhanger.
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By benpack

@Metal_Mills said:

@YI_Orange said:

How is it worse? Imagine the game was 16 episodes, 15 dollars for every 4 episodes. This is just the 5th batch of episodes for 8 dollars? It's a fraction of the game for a fraction of the price, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By renmckormack

im about to BURST with excitement for more asura;s wrath dumb stuff. It depends right. Its not automatically bad. Seven bucks for more fun stuff sounds OK, if its fun.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cheesebob

This is my opinion:

Avatar image for deactivated-5a765be3dc058
    deactivated-5a765be3dc058

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Metal_Mills: Let me fix your analogy: That's like saying, "What's the point of Empire and Jedi when I could watch a 40 minute direct-to-video release for a tenth the cost of a movie ticket because there's no way in shit George Lucas would get the funding to make full-length sequels since nobody went and saw Star Wars."

And, functionally, what's the difference? Luke's story had two more movies worth of story to tell. Asura's Wrath had four more chapters.

Fact: The main plot of Asura's Wrath (which I won't spoil here) was wrapped up in the main game. Something else was alluded to only at the very end. If you decided you had enough of the game and didn't bother doing the "true" last chapter, a rehash of the original final chapter with two extra minutes, you would not be left unsatisfied. They opened the door to the additional material but they firmly closed it on the main events of the story on the disc.

I get it. They probably could have fit the rest of the story onto the disc. You know what, though, they didn't but the DLC is about 10% the price of the full game with about 20% more additional content.

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fRAWRst

Lol what

do you know what Asuras Wrath is? This is more of it. Its Japanese so they call it "the true ending".

yknow

like anime

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By babblinmule

@Metal_Mills said:

@iAmJohn said:

I'm usually on the side of "fuck this shit," but I haven't played Asura's Wrath. Did it have a good ending? Did it feel like there was enough closure even if they left some things open?

Brad said it was a cliffhanger that then continued on to a bigger cliffhanger.

I finished it about 20 minutes ago (beat it then decided to hop on the forums), and I didnt really see how it was a cliffhanger. Almost all of the plot strings were neatly tied up.

Then again I haven't done the 'true ending' yet, so that may be a cliffhanger.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nekroskop

I saw it coming a mile away. Shame on you, Capcom.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Venatio

So can someone fill me in on the what Bioware is doing with the ME3 ending because I'm midway through the game right now and I'm terrified of spoilers and I've avoided all articles

So without spoiling anything, are the gonna do DLC? A patch?

Asking since some people brought it up here

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mnemoidian

@Venatio: Asura's Wrath forum is kind of the wrong place, I guess...

But no one knows. Bioware will make a post about it "in april".

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@fRAWRst said:

Lol what

do you know what Asuras Wrath is? This is more of it. Its Japanese so they call it "the true ending".

yknow

like anime

So this is the OVA of Asura's Wrath?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Venatio said:

So can someone fill me in on the what Bioware is doing with the ME3 ending because I'm midway through the game right now and I'm terrified of spoilers and I've avoided all articles

No one has said anything. For now the ending stays. BUT there was a contest to write up a better ending and someone won it. Rumors of a DLC called "The truth" Coming out are also being tossed about. But there is no OFFICIAL word as of now. 
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Turambar
    @iAmJohn said:

I'm usually on the side of "fuck this shit," but I haven't played Asura's Wrath. Did it have a good ending? Did it feel like there was enough closure even if they left some things open? If so, I don't see why it would matter that they've made DLC to extend the ending. It might not be necessary to having what feels like a "complete" experience and I'm fine with that. It's why I'm not bothered that Ubisoft did the Prince of Persia 2008's Epilogue DLC - aside from the fact that it was kind of terrible, adding on to the ending did nothing to cheapen my experience with the game since I personally loved that ending and didn't need more to it (never mind the fact that the Epilogue clarified and continued absolutely nothing).

But again, I don't know. Maybe the ending to Asura's Wrath is lamer than I Am Alive's non-ending. You guys tell me.

If you complete the game with the normal ending, yes, it does in fact end well, aside from a small minor cliff hanger in the same way pretty much any games this era has to keep the possibility of a sequel open.  When you get the true ending of the game though, that minor cliff hanger is expanded on and is turned into a giant full blown "to be continued"  with triple exclamation marks.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By landon

@GlenTennis said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@YI_Orange said:

How is it worse? Imagine the game was 16 episodes, 15 dollars for every 4 episodes. This is just the 5th batch of episodes for 8 dollars? It's a fraction of the game for a fraction of the price, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

At least with a sequel there is the implication that you will be buying a game that not only will be continuing the story, but will also look and play better. What about the people who wont be able to access this?

In Asuras Wraths case, if a sequel comes, worst case scenario the game will start up in a completely different place leaving the player wondering what happened at the end of the other game. Best case scenario, there will be a cutscene that basically says "Remember that cliffhanger ending? Well,some stuff happened after that, but now you are doing this".

Selling your ending as side content is stupid.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Turambar
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Venatio said:

No one has said anything. For now the ending stays. BUT there was a contest to write up a better ending and someone won it. Rumors of a DLC called "The truth" Coming out are also being tossed about. But there is no OFFICIAL word as of now. 
    Wait, what?  I need a link to that.  Would be a welcomed source for my paper.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Turambar said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Venatio said:

Wait, what?  I need a link to that.  Would be a welcomed source for my paper.
    Damnit I cant find it. I know it might not have been an official contest. 
    stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By stubbleman

@Landon said:

What about the people who wont be able to access this?

Oh won't somebody think of the children!

Go look on itunes and amazon and look at how much a TV episode in HD costs on those services. This new DLC is a dollar cheaper and I think that's pretty rad.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By landon

@somnambulist said:

@Landon said:

What about the people who wont be able to access this?

Oh won't somebody think of the children!

Go look on itunes and amazon and look at how much a TV episode in HD costs on those services. This new DLC is a dollar cheaper and I think that's pretty rad.

What does anything you've said have to do with my post?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Winternet

Asura's Wrath has an episodic format, so selling new episodes as DLC makes sense. I don't know why this is troublesome.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Deusx

This is disgusting and people who aren't bothered by this should be better consumers. You are deluded, you have the right to complain about this kind of thing. This is unethical. Video games aren't cheap, if Asura's Wrath costed $57 instead of $50 I bet a lot of people wouldn't have bought it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I could get angry if I cared about this game at all.

Nah

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By YI_Orange

How many people complaining about this actually got the true ending in Asura's Wrath? To me, it was sort of a cliffhanger, but not really. It was kinda like "Hey, there's more story to be told. But THIS story the one right here you spent 60 dollars on, is done." It's like complaining Lair of the Shadowbroker was DLC instead of in the main game. That's arguably worse after some things I heard about ME3.

@S0ndor: I don't understand people like you. What's the point of even posting?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By N7
    @Winternet said:

Asura's Wrath has an episodic format, so selling new episodes as DLC makes sense. I don't know why this is troublesome.

Because kids need to feel like they are fighting corporations, man. Wake up and see the truth, bro. Like, we're fighting for our rights, and stuff.
    Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41  Edited By Deusoma
    @MooseyMcMan said:

I think it's unfair to say the ME3 one is because of fan reactions. It's too early to tell for sure, but I'm almost positive they were planning that well before the game was released. I would also argue that ME3 also ends on a cliffhanger, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Either way, this is a terrible practice, and the fact that it's happening to two games within a relatively short period of time (one of which is one of the biggest releases of the year) is unsettling.

Really? I hadn't heard anything about Halo 4 or Assassin's Creed III having ending DLC. /snark
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#42  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Deusoma said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Really? I hadn't heard anything about Halo 4 or Assassin's Creed III having ending DLC. /snark

Don't give them ideas. I'm pretty sure Ubisoft already kinda did that with a short CG movie thing along with AC:Rev.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By StrikeALight

Just don't fucking buy it then. Maybe they'll eventually cotton on, and be force to re-think their content delivery.

Jesus, some of you are beginning to sound like Daily Mail columinsts.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#44  Edited By MormonWarrior

@Enigma777 said:

POP had it's ending as DLC. It was gross.

This. And it didn't even resolve anything really.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By kerse

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Ace829 said:

Agreed, I thought it was great.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By shirogane

@Landon said:

@GlenTennis said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@YI_Orange said:

At least with a sequel there is the implication that you will be buying a game that not only will be continuing the story, but will also look and play better. What about the people who wont be able to access this?

In Asuras Wraths case, if a sequel comes, worst case scenario the game will start up in a completely different place leaving the player wondering what happened at the end of the other game. Best case scenario, there will be a cutscene that basically says "Remember that cliffhanger ending? Well,some stuff happened after that, but now you are doing this".

Selling your ending as side content is stupid.

The difference here is, unless they throw in another super crazy twist, this is it for the Asura's Wrath story. The WHOLE story of this world and Asura. And even without this DLC ending, everything is neatly wrapped up and you get full closure on everything that had happened in the game. The ending of Asura's Wrath was basically like an Assassin's Creed ending, sudden revelation about the world, yet not really anything to do with the actual story told in the game.

Obviously i havn't played the DLC, so i can't comment fully on that, but the ending of the game didn't leave you feel empty or like there was more. It was a proper ending. Even if the DLC says true ending, it's really just DLC like anything else that adds more content, content that isn't needed to the game. Also, the game already had one true ending. You should really know what you're talking about before making assumptions based on what you've heard.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BPRJCTX

"The True Conclusion to Asura's Wrath!"...

C'mon...

They aren't even trying to hide it...

And still, some ppl are still trying to defend this shit...

It's just fucking sad, and it makes me fucking sick.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mnemoidian

@BPRJCTX: And how would you feel if they put it on a disc/in a box and called it an expansion pack? for 20-30 bucks?

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BPRJCTX

@Mnemoidian said:

@BPRJCTX: And how would you feel if they put it on a disc/in a box and called it an expansion pack? for 20-30 bucks?

Obviously, it would be even worse, what's your point?

My point is they clearly took out the last episodes of the game, to sell it as DLC.

Assassin's Creed and some other games do stuff like that, like taking out some missions from the game to sell them as DLC, but man, to actually do that to the ending...

Capcom, doens't even care anymore.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mnemoidian

@BPRJCTX: *shrug* Just trying to understand the argument

Basically, your problem is the concept of To be Continued [edit: or Cliffhanger]. Which is far from unique to this game - and at a stretch, all other similar DLC - like the GTA stuff (Lost and the Damned, etc).

I'm just saying... I played Asura's Wrath. I had fun. Said "Huh" at the end, put the disc in the box on the shelf. This will probably get me to take the disc out again, mission accomplished for the developer/publisher? I don't feel cheated because I feel like I got what I expected out of Asura's Wrath.

And I feel that the recent mounting rage at DLC in general is really silly, but I'm trying to understand it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.