Atari Games I shouldn't miss.

#1 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -

So I have never played an actual Atari, but with Game Room dead or dying and my realization that I have some old Atari compilations sitting around, I have realized that I haven't played hardly any Atari games. I'm wondering if anyone out there can recommend some quality games that I should try to seek out? River Raid is one I might have to buy on Game Room, only due to Jeff and team's appreciation for the game. 

So GB community, what are some totally awesome Atari games I should play and enjoy?

#2 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
Warlords is a fun multiplayer game. It really depends on whether you're playing solo or have someone to play with, because a lot of Atari's classics are made with at least 2 players in mind, at least that is the impression I've had in the past playing Atari collections.
#3 Posted by buzz_clik (6930 posts) -
#4 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -
@owl_of_minerva said:
" Warlords is a fun multiplayer game. It really depends on whether you're playing solo or have someone to play with, because a lot of Atari's classics are made with at least 2 players in mind, at least that is the impression I've had in the past playing Atari collections. "
Yeah I noticed that with some of the Game Room stuff too. A lot of the ones I had heard of were multiplayer only, which immediately makes me not want them on game room, but I hope my Atari disk for Xbox has it on there, I'd have to check. 
#5 Posted by Dork_Metamorphosis (251 posts) -

Growing up playing my dad's Atari I loved Yar's Revenge, Defender, and Activision's Boxing game (this one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev0_hmee2cM ).  I'd probably recommend Defender over the others.  The 2600 version isn't the best, but it's a classic.  

#6 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:
" "
Noted. Thanks Buzz, I'll see if I can try these out. The last 3 there I had never played or seen from what I know (unless one sneaked into a Game Room QL)
#7 Posted by MisterChief (831 posts) -

Checkers.   

#8 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -
@MisterChief said:
" Checkers.    "
Oh dear god how could I forget! 

That was a terrifying moment in Game Room history. I still want to know what they did for the Checkers mascot in Game Room.
#9 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -
#10 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

Yars' Revenge is pretty good.

#11 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -
#12 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

One can never get enough Custer's Revenge.

#13 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@nukesniper: There is a game I can't remember the name but it has four bases on each corner that you have to destroy, maybe some one could help me out, but that game is pretty fun
#14 Posted by MisterChief (831 posts) -
@sagesebas said:
" @nukesniper: There is a game I can't remember the name but it has four bases on each corner that you have to destroy, maybe some one could help me out, but that game is pretty fun "
Warlords.
#15 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@MisterChief: thanks dude
#16 Posted by Mockduck (20 posts) -

I would recommend the following:

Yar's Revenge (still fun after all these years!)

Warlords, if you have paddles and three friends. Still one of the best multiplayers out there, hard to believe but a fun party night game.

Enduro

Pitfall

Demon Attack - probably the best shooter for the 2600

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.