Lynx

xdgx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By xdgx

People don't talk much about the Atari Lynx. I think it's a very underrated handheld. Even using 6 AA batteries and being huge, it deserves every gamers attention.
    The not-so-portable was the first color LCD backlit display handheld. That's interesting, considering it was released months after the original gameboy in 1989, which had
    a monochrome color palette..
    Off wikipedia;
    "At the time of its release in 1989, the Atari Lynx was also just being introduced to the market. This system featured color graphics, a backlit screen, and networking capabilities. Nevertheless, its release price of $179, substantial requirement of 6 AA batteries that would provide roughly only four hours of gameplay (compared to 35 hours on 4 AA batteries for the Game Boy), physical bulkiness, and other factors doomed it to a second-rate status."

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tec3297

It was just too late for Atari in the late 80's and early 90's.  They were losing steam and they thought a hand held could bring them back up from their slump but it didn't.  I never took a second look at the Lynx, and to me it doesn't deserve one.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DarkLegend

I owned one them, I wouldn't know where it is now.

lawblob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By lawblob

I loved the Atari Lynx.  It really was ahead of its time.  I couldn't believe people were so loyal to the Gameboy even after the Lynx, Game Gear and Turbo Express hit the market.  I wouldn't even say the lack of quality games killed the Lynx, there were quite a few good games for the system.  I just think that by the time it arrived, people were so loyal to Nintendo Atari was helpless in getting people to buy it. 

Easily one of my favorite platforms, feel free to PM me if you want to chat about the Lynx or its games!

xdgx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xdgx

Mine's broken, I wish I could fix it :(

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By super_machine

I lost mine on a family vacation. The devastation! I actually owned both versions. The first one had the paint flake off it. I actually wrote Atari a letter in 6th grade to complain about it. Amazingly, they sent me a nice discount coupon to put towards the new one. Blue Lighting 4 ever!

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yakov456

Lynx was and still is a great hand held. Quality is not top notch but there are some fun and original games for it. I still play mine now and then for a nice flashback.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By ArchScabby

Holy crap that thing is huge!  could that even be considered portable?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.