Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 23, 2011

The final game of the Arland Alchemist trilogy and another entry in the long running Atelier franchise. Atelier Meruru revolves around Meruru's quest to develop the Arls Kingdom to match Arland's prestigious status with the use of alchemy.

Dammit NISA you guys got me again....

• 55 results
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

So, I recently (like yesterday) realised that a new Atelier game is coming out. I checked NISA's online shop and saw that they had this bad boy for sale....

No Caption Provided

So of course like the sucker I am... I bought it. But seriously... how could I not? NISA packs in all this stuff for a measly extra $5 dollars?! And they have free shipping? These guys are seriously amazing with the value they give their fans for their money. Anyways, if anyone is into the Atelier series this is a STEAL and they have less than 50% stock left on this. If your going to buy this game buy it straight from NISA they even ship the games early sometimes. I know many people got Disagea 4 much earlier than retail folks did.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

That is only five dollars more? Sweet deal, I wonder if i'd like those games.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By endaround

Its not $5 more, its $15. NISA has been releasing their games at $50 recently.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Contrarian

That looks sweet. Got a link? Do they ship outside America? I really enjoy their games and I am not a paedophile!

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Does that shirt say "Barrel!" on it?

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bighat_logan
    @SpunkyHePanda said:

your damn right it does
    TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TruthTellah

@SpunkyHePanda said:

That shirt absolutely does say Barrel! on it. It's an Atelier thing.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Dagbiker
    No Caption Provided

I bought this, for like $60. It sounded kinda cool with its soul breeding thing, where you would have a kid with one of 3 of the girls, then that kid would have a kid with one of 3 girls, and again. But the game looks bad, and it sucks.

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bighat_logan
    @Dagbiker: yeah that game sucked ass
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SuperWristBands

That shirt is awesome but likely too large for me. If I was planning on buying the game then this'd be a steal at only $15 more but I still have Totori to play before I buy another one.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TruthTellah

@Dagbiker: Aw. You didn't like Agarest War?

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@TruthTellah said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

That shirt absolutely does say Barrel! on it. It's an Atelier thing.

I feel like I'm no closer to understanding after watching that, but thanks all the same.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TruthTellah

@SpunkyHePanda: You know how duders say <> and "I am a wizard and this is f*cked up"? It's a meme like that, but for people who enjoy the Atelier series of games, as barrels are ubiquitous in the game and the constant dialogue for checking them of "Barrel!" became an inside-joke.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By PixelPrinny

I can't wait for Meruru, though I'm happy with the standard edition. $15 for a tiny artbook and partial OST like the previous special editions isn't worth it for me. The Barrel! T-Shirt is a cute touch, although only long time fans of Gust's games will really get the reference (though I spose that is exactly who a special edition would appeal to most lol)

I doubt the series will see some of the big changes it needs to the passage of time system (seriously, 5 years pass in Totori and no one looks a day older or says anything different >.>) in this installment, but I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun nonetheless. :D

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait an NIS game that isn't the same tactics game with different sprites?

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bighat_logan
    @TruthTellah said:

It's like a strategy RPG made by some that's never heard of a strategy RPG.
    bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bighat_logan
    @WilltheMagicAsian said:

Well it the same alchemy system with different sprites. It's not as new as you think.
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Dagbiker

@TruthTellah: NO, I do not recommend getting it. It is like some one took a PS1 game and ported it to the Xbox360/Ps3. Same un-updated gameplay ideas, and un-updated graphics.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By musubi

@endaround: Apologies! I meant to say $5 more than your average $60 game.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Animasta

@PixelPrinny said:

I can't wait for Meruru, though I'm happy with the standard edition. $15 for a tiny artbook and partial OST like the previous special editions isn't worth it for me. The Barrel! T-Shirt is a cute touch, although only long time fans of Gust's games will really get the reference (though I spose that is exactly who a special edition would appeal to most lol)

I doubt the series will see some of the big changes it needs to the passage of time system (seriously, 5 years pass in Totori and no one looks a day older or says anything different >.>) in this installment, but I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun nonetheless. :D

listen guy, animes NEVER AGE. it is rule 1.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TruthTellah

@bighat_logan said:

@TruthTellah said:

It's like a strategy RPG made by some that's never heard of a strategy RPG.

That's a good way of putting it.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SlightConfuse

so what is the gameplay like? never played this series but disgea 4 was cool

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel

I might get this. I've never played an Atelier game before, so this might be a good place to start.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TruthTellah

@Dagbiker said:

@TruthTellah: NO, I do not recommend getting it. It is like some one took a PS1 game and ported it to the Xbox360/Ps3. Same un-updated gameplay ideas, and un-updated graphics.

Yeah, I got that impression, as well. Fortunately, I never bought the collector's edition like that.

What surprises me is the fact that I usually only ever hear Agarest War in glowing terms online, but I think that may just be that most people with discerning taste will have avoided it in the first place.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By musubi

@TruthTellah: I've heard good things about it as well and its not nearly as risque as the north american trailers would have you believe.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TruthTellah

@Demoskinos said:

@TruthTellah: I've heard good things about it as well and its not nearly as risque as the north american trailers would have you believe.

Truly that may be the most disappointing thing about the game, amongst many other things.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PixelPrinny

@Hailinel said:

I might get this. I've never played an Atelier game before, so this might be a good place to start.

How have you never played an Atelier game before? o.O

@Animasta said:

listen guy, animes NEVER AGE. it is rule 1.

I think that can really be broadened to video games in general. But for some reason it's more noticeable in a game like Atelier Totori as opposed to something like Skyrim (which also has a calendar and you can literally just stand in the street and fast forward through 5 years worth of time if you want) due to the fact the story revolves around the passage of time.... I dunno. It'd just be cool if a game actually addressed the passage of time for once.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PixelPrinny

@TruthTellah said:

@Dagbiker said:

Yeah, I got that impression, as well. Fortunately, I never bought the collector's edition like that.

What surprises me is the fact that I usually only ever hear Agarest War in glowing terms online, but I think that may just be that most people with discerning taste will have avoided it in the first place.

As someone who liked Agarest War as a guilty pleasure, I am more than happy to tell the world the game is really bad... Whoever thought random encounter dungeons in a strategy RPG was a good idea was fucking insane. The combat is fun, but the difficulty curve takes an insane jump around generation 4. The item systems are super cluttered and confusing, the story is bad, the wedding things are facepalm inducing... but for some reason, I still kinda liked the game. The characters were pretty cool (save for the one emo protagonist who I just wanted to punch in the face) and like I said, the combat was fun.

That being said, Agarest Zero is the game to get for people who are really curious to actually try the series -- it comes with Agarest War 1 right in there (and lets you skip all the random battles., just do the boss fights, and recruit most of the main characters from it to use in Zero's story if you want), it gets rid of the shitty dungeons and random encounters, lowers the difficulty curve significantly and streamlines some things. It's still not a great game, but leaps and bounds better than the first one.

Agarest 2 is out in a few months and apparently the combat has been completely overhauled. Not sure what else has seen changes but I dug Zero enough that I'm gonna give 2 a chance and see how it is.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel
    @PixelPrinny I am sadly lacking in NISA games outside of the Disgaea series.
    TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TruthTellah

@PixelPrinny said:

@TruthTellah said:

@Dagbiker said:

As someone who liked Agarest War as a guilty pleasure, I am more than happy to tell the world the game is really bad... Whoever thought random encounter dungeons in a strategy RPG was a good idea was fucking insane. The combat is fun, but the difficulty curve takes an insane jump around generation 4. The item systems are super cluttered and confusing, the story is bad, the wedding things are facepalm inducing... but for some reason, I kinda liked it.

That being said, Agarest Zero is the game to get for people who are really curious to actually try the series -- it comes with Agarest War 1 right in there (and lets you skip all the random battles., just do the boss fights, and recruit most of the main characters from it to use in Zero's story if you want), it gets rid of the shitty dungeons and random encounters, lowers the difficulty curve significantly and streamlines some things. It's still not a great game, but leaps and bounds better than the first one.

Agarest 2 is out in a few months and apparently the combat has been completely overhauled. Not sure what else has seen changes but I dug Zero enough that I'm gonna give 2 a chance and see how it is.

Interesting. Thanks for your input, Prinny! :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they would make another Atelier like the Iris games...like, all HD and shit but still look like a 16 bit RPG. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By musubi

@PixelPrinny: Whoa, so the full previous game is in Agarest Zero along with the new stuff in Zero?

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PixelPrinny

@Demoskinos said:

@PixelPrinny: Whoa, so the full previous game is in Agarest Zero along with the new stuff in Zero?

Pretty much. Basically all you're missing are the random encounter dungeons and fluff battles (ie battles in between areas you travel to where you just fight trash monsters). You also don't get every single character from the first game to use in Zero, but you get all of the heroes and heroines. You can get some of the less important characters as paid DLC, but there's really no point considering the sheer number of characters you get to use for free. But you can play through the entire story and see pretty much all of the events (though it hooks the protagonist up with the canon romance choice for each generation).

valahuir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By valahuir

Heh, I have to shake my head at NISA getting slated for a game they didn't actualy make, after all the Atelier series is GUST, NISA simply publish it here.

However yeah I know how Demoskinos feels, I'm baised in Europe and I've ordered it from them too. Sadly, that does mean i have to pay postage. :(

P.S. If anime and anime gaming has taught us anything it's that teenagers are fair game in Japan! But you know, stereotypes....

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By Catolf

I'm so tempted.. but I'd rather just get the game than the extra stuff.. I still have to beat totori after all..

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ravenlight

@TruthTellah:

So... it's a barrel-shouting game? Where do I sign up?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By musubi

So, started Atelier Rorona since I never actually started it before and really enjoying it. I know Rorona and Totori are both in Meruru so I'm hoping to catch up before I pop in the new one. Speaking of I looked up the Opening tittle sequence and its awesome. I really like the music for this series. Very catchy. Super excited that the edition I got from the NISA store has the soundtrack. On topic with Meruru it looks like they really make the combat better in this game.

Anyways... the OP is below.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By NMC2008

I tried to play Rorona but just couldn't get into it, almost bought Totori for some reason but decided against it, they look nice though.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By musubi

@NMC2008: I just think its neat to have a JRPG that isn't about saving the world and is geared in another direction instead. Once you get started its pretty awesome. I'll admit that at the beginning its kinda hard to get into the game. Once you get the ball rolling though its pretty good.

valahuir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By valahuir

@NMC2008: I found Rorona alright, although unrefined and occasonaly clunky i'll admit and Totori vastly superiour and much more polished, so if it follows that pattern Meruru will be great.

So it could well be worth giving the series another chance.

@Demoskinos: Thats' one of the best things about the series it take things in a new direction, a few Atelier games break that convention. (Iris is an exeption and I can't comment on pre english launch titles though)

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By Totori

I've beat totari 3 times, should I go back to play Rorona

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By musubi

@Totori: Yeah I'm playing Rorona first because I have a big feeling once I play the later games I won't wanna go back. Totori and Meruru look fantastic. Enjoying Rorona though.

valahuir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By valahuir

@Demoskinos: Yeah, since Totori I've not even picked up Rorona, so that's a good bet. Wonder if I can squeeze in another run before it arrives in case it happens again.

On vaguely related news to the topic, They have announced Atelier Aysha, a few months back apparently so I'm not quite on the ball, but good news for us fans of the series.

I just wish they would be released in the West faster.

Oh on a side note, I mentioned before ordering it from Nisa directly due to impatience. Guess that backfired somewhat with the simultaneous launch. Whoops.

zaldar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By zaldar

@valahuir said:

Heh, I have to shake my head at NISA getting slated for a game they didn't actualy make, after all the Atelier series is GUST, NISA simply publish it here.

However yeah I know how Demoskinos feels, I'm baised in Europe and I've ordered it from them too. Sadly, that does mean i have to pay postage. :(

P.S. If anime and anime gaming has taught us anything it's that teenagers are fair game in Japan! But you know, stereotypes....

somehow I have a hard time seeing a 14 year old as a teenager but you are right. Amazingly the game actually looks cute...which wasn't expected.

valahuir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By valahuir

@zaldar: I was being facetious about "ecchi" anime and stereotypes to be honest but yeah, different ages being "legit" is a cultural thing. In England it's 16, in parts of America it's 16, 18 or sometimes even 21. but the less said better really.

But in regards to the game itself, completed it on Monday. Any of you still on the ropes, if you played and enjoyed Totori, It is definitely worth it. As I suspected before, it refines the formula further.

Although I still find it weird Meruru starts 15 and ends the game at 20 and yet doesn't seem to age a day. Wish I knew her secret. And I doubt I'm the only one.

Edit: Oh also NG+ lets you keep the travelers boots and similar upgrades as well as equipment so they have made NG+ have better bonuses too. for getting the other 10 or so endings the game will have.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By EXTomar

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

NISA has been branching into other areas like domestic releases of Anime shows too. I'm not sure if they are crazy or brilliant for trying to not only expand in this niche market but also in another one!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By musubi

Finally got my shipping confirmation from NISA. Sucks I had to wait so long but apparently there was a manufacturing problem that delayed the game combined with them having to fill a large order. Better late than never! Also, beeng playing the crap out of Dragon's Dogma so most likely won't get around to it anytime soon anyways but the LE sold the fuck out on NISA's website. So its actually a LIMITED thing.

valahuir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By valahuir

@Demoskinos: Ha, yeah, I saw how fast they were selling and made the decision too have to wait for Disgaea 3 vita too. I made the mistake of ordering them together and thus I had to wait for Meruru's launch for shipping.

I didn't want to risk missing out on my Barrel T-shirt by lowering myself on the queue by canceling and ordering them both separately.

It is quite odd though that it is taking so long to process the orders.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By Bocam

I have all three PS3 Atelier games and I have not played a single one.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Vorbis

Sad to see that Rorona has become Christmas cake and was turned into a 5 year old.

Damn it Japan, would it really hurt to let Rorona hit 26?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.