So, this game is available today.

#1 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

It's always nice to get an idea about the Giantbomb community's interest level on niche Japanese games, so anyone here planing to buy it?

I have this pre-ordered and am taking a blind leap with this one. I know pretty much nothing about it other than it is of the Atelier series and I loved Atelier Iris 2, but hated Atelier Iris 3.

Here is a trailer for the game. Certainly looks pretty. Also that lady punching fools looks pretty badass... aside from the bikini armour top, that is just impractical.

Also, please note the two top comments on the video at this time.

#2 Posted by Beforet (2885 posts) -

So the Atelier games are the ones all about alchemy and cute anime girls, right? Well, I would be interested, but I have a lot of shit on my platter at the moment. So I'm gonna pass on this one.

#3 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -

I've been vaguely interested in these "Atelier Totori" games for a while, mostly because of the cutesy art of course, but I don't own a PS3. My girlfriend has the console in our circle and I somehow don't think this game is her style...

#4 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

Never played an Atelier game before, so... I don't know. I might check it out some time.

#5 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

@Beforet said:

So the Atelier games are the ones all about alchemy and cute anime girls, right? Well, I would be interested, but I have a lot of shit on my platter at the moment. So I'm gonna pass on this one.

Yeah, that is what the, uhh, I guess "named" Atelier games are about. Atelier Iris 2 didn't have that same focus. It was like a traditional JRPG with some alchemy in it.

@CaLe said:

No I won't buy this, not at all. The Japanese stuff I like are nothing like this.

That is fair. I can understand why people wouldn't want to play this. I'm not even sure what I am getting into, but I will buy it. I'll find out if I regret it soon enough.

#6 Posted by Beforet (2885 posts) -

So are these games in any way tied to a story, or could I just jump into this own with no troubles?

#7 Posted by AltonBrown (923 posts) -

Didn't care for Rorona so much, but still interested in this one. Maybe after I see some fan reaction.

#8 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

@Beforet said:

So are these games in any way tied to a story, or could I just jump into this own with no troubles?

It does have characters returning from the previous game Atelier Rorona but I haven't played that game so I am going into it cold.

#9 Posted by Vorbis (2748 posts) -

Loved Rorona, will be picking it up, may have to wait until I'm done with Dark Souls before playing it though.

#10 Posted by Turambar (6489 posts) -

I still need to play more than two hours of Rorona.  It ironically got eclipsed by Recettear and I forgot to go back to it after completing that game.

#11 Posted by gillman (49 posts) -

Went to the store to pick this up today, because Gamestop told me it would be in. Wasn't there, glad I could waste my lunch break.

#12 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

@gillman said:

Went to the store to pick this up today, because Gamestop told me it would be in. Wasn't there, glad I could waste my lunch break.

I went there after my classes today and was told that it was delayed until the 30th. Pretty shitty, but whatever. I'm used to it when it comes to niche Japanese games.

#13 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

I lost my love for gust RPGs after the 2nd school one, and fuck was Ar tonelico 3 awful.

#14 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@SuperWristBands said:

@gillman said:

I went there after my classes today and was told that it was delayed until the 30th. Pretty shitty, but whatever. I'm used to it when it comes to niche Japanese games.

yeah the new rune factory game was delayed today too, without notice.
#15 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

@SuperWristBands said:

@gillman said:

Damn. I totally forgot about that game. I need to see if I can round up some money for it.

#16 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@SuperWristBands said:

@kingzetta said:

@SuperWristBands said:

@gillman said:

Damn. I totally forgot about that game. I need to see if I can round up some money for it.

it's new date is the 10th and it will be first time I turn my wii on in a year.
man I really wish last story would come out in the USA, and like a dozen psp games.
#17 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

@SuperWristBands said:

@kingzetta said:

@SuperWristBands said:

@gillman said:

it's new date is the 10th and it will be first time I turn my wii on in a year. man I really wish last story would come out in the USA, and like a dozen psp games.

What about the PS3 version? Do you know anything about that one? It doesn't seem to be on amazon.

#18 Posted by Muerthoz (344 posts) -

I have $15 credit with the NISA store so I'll most likely pick this one up before the end of the year. Want to play through Rorona first but with so many games coming out right now, I'm not sure when I'll be able to.

#19 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (4862 posts) -

With everything I had seen and heard about Rurona? God no.

#20 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@SuperWristBands said:

@kingzetta said:

@SuperWristBands said:

@kingzetta said:

@SuperWristBands said:

@gillman said:

it's new date is the 10th and it will be first time I turn my wii on in a year. man I really wish last story would come out in the USA, and like a dozen psp games.

What about the PS3 version? Do you know anything about that one? It doesn't seem to be on amazon.

I know practically nothing about the game.
#21 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

What had you seen/heard? I vaguely remember reading something about Rorona on... Kotaku, I think, a long time ago but I can't remember what it was.

#22 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (4862 posts) -

@SuperWristBands said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

What had you seen/heard? I vaguely remember reading something about Rorona on... Kotaku, I think, a long time ago but I can't remember what it was.

I had friends that owned it and I watched them play it and it seemed so boring, ugly, and just not fun to play.

#23 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@SuperWristBands said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I had friends that owned it and I watched them play it and it seemed so boring, ugly, and just not fun to play.

Thats too bad. But watching a trailer of the two I can definitely see a difference in the art style with Totori looking much, much better. Heck after seeing Rorona's style I am now no longer interested in it. I can't say much for how it will play but I tend to like a lot of these niche games that get panned by critics. Only thing I am worried about is if Totori will require endless fetch quests in order to advance the story like Atelier Iris 3 did. Pretty much the only thing that can make me regret my purchase (that I have yet to make because of the delay).

#24 Posted by Vanek (376 posts) -

I was actually thinking of picking it up, purely based on the fact I need a good reason to turn on my PS3 these days. I can't seem to find many good JRPGs for the PS3 but from what I've seen this one looks alright

The only thing I don't get is does the game have a time limit or something? I remember reading something awhile ago about you not having proper freedom because of some timer.

#25 Posted by gillman (49 posts) -

@Vanek said:

I was actually thinking of picking it up, purely based on the fact I need a good reason to turn on my PS3 these days. I can't seem to find many good JRPGs for the PS3 but from what I've seen this one looks alright

The only thing I don't get is does the game have a time limit or something? I remember reading something awhile ago about you not having proper freedom because of some timer.

In most of the "core" (non-Iris) Atelier games the character is in constant danger of losing their shop, or something that they are under time constraints, but it isn't anything that really "limits" play. Most of them have something insane like 20 endings, all dependent on how the game was played. It isn't really that there is a super tight deadline that everything has to be done in such an exact order and manner, as most of the requests for the core plot can be taken care of rather quickly to the point of almost being blown off. Also most of the games are pretty good about what is carried over to the second playthrough, so the player can normally just stomp the game into submission on those.

After playing the first one through Gamefly I ended up buying every game in the series last year during NISA's black friday sale.

#26 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

Well, PSN updated with some Totori DLC. A lot of it payed DLC including three characters that can be unlocked to use in battle. Sad thing is I am so gonna get one of them because I like the person who does her voice.

#27 Posted by Bocam (3563 posts) -

Just so people know, this game is much better then Rorona.

Also an email from Nisa

Hello Valued Customers and Arland Adventurers,

The release for Atelier Totori is right around the corner and we are glad to have your business! Right now we'd like to fill you in on the current situation with this title.

Normally, the ship date is the day that we send the product to other retailers and also the time we aim to begin sending out the orders to our customers. Sometimes things run extra smoothly and we can send out our items ahead of the date listed on our site.

However, due to the manufacturing schedule on this title, Atelier Totori will leave the manufacturer on September 26, and arrive at our warehouse on September 29. As soon as the items are received, we will begin processing and shipping them out to customers. We apologize for the delay in shipping, but rest assured that we will keep you updated, and once your order has been shipped you will receive a shipping confirmation notice via e-mail.

We would like to thank you again for shopping with us. We appreciate your interested in our products, and hope for your continued support in the future.

Best wishes,
#28 Posted by gillman (49 posts) -

@Bocam said:

Just so people know, this game is much better then Rorona.

Also an email from Nisa

Hello Valued Customers and Arland Adventurers,

The release for Atelier Totori is right around the corner and we are glad to have your business! Right now we'd like to fill you in on the current situation with this title.

Normally, the ship date is the day that we send the product to other retailers and also the time we aim to begin sending out the orders to our customers. Sometimes things run extra smoothly and we can send out our items ahead of the date listed on our site.

However, due to the manufacturing schedule on this title, Atelier Totori will leave the manufacturer on September 26, and arrive at our warehouse on September 29. As soon as the items are received, we will begin processing and shipping them out to customers. We apologize for the delay in shipping, but rest assured that we will keep you updated, and once your order has been shipped you will receive a shipping confirmation notice via e-mail.

We would like to thank you again for shopping with us. We appreciate your interested in our products, and hope for your continued support in the future.

Best wishes,

Kind of makes me really glad that I rushed out and pre-ordered the game. Go team NIS!

#29 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@SuperWristBands: I bought two days ago and I love it. 
it's sooo cute
#30 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

@SuperWristBands: I bought two days ago and I love it. it's sooo cute

It really is. I haven't played it in a while because of Dark Soul's and assignments/exams but I will eventually get back into it. Not a huge fan of how the DLC is integrated though. That is to say it is done poorly. When you leave town with a character they tend to have dialog and can interact with other characters you bring with you. DLC characters have none of this, so I am rolling around with Ceci and Melvia but outside of battles the game treats it as though I have only Melvia.

#31 Posted by TheLastOtaku (40 posts) -

Pretty late to the punch on this one. I went looking all around trying to find it today. I live in Munich, Germany but I thought it would be easy since we have a huge electronics store and 3 Gamestops. Unfortunately, none of them had it so I gave up the search and headed to the train station when I came across a Muller. Muller is a pharmacy store that has a very small selection of electronics such as movies, games, and cds. Not only did I find it there, but it was only 40 euro.

#32 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

I know this is a while after the original OP date but I know that I love this game and this series. I checked out this game from work and I can't wait until I can buy the collectors edition of this game and finish it. It's the moost compelling anime JRPGs that I've played. I also picked up Rorona and plan to stomp that. I really like this and that battle fantasia series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.