Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Atlus

Company »

Atlus is a Japanese game developer and publisher.

'Catherine'. Atlus goes HD on the PS3 and 360.

• 100 results
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Steve_C

No, it's not Persona/SMT-related. EDIT: It is! Kinda! Hype!

Early reports indicate that the latest Famitsu reveals a new Atlus game. They're finally getting their hands dirty with their first internally developed title on HD consoles. 'Catherine' is being described as a horror-tinged action-adventure title, with apparently an "erotic taste to the art". It does have some key staff working on it from the Persona team however. The game is scheduled for a Winter 2010 release date in Japan, so a localised NA/EU release would be hitting in 2011 at the earliest, if at all, though it seems pretty likely.

It's obviously early days, but how do you guys feel about this? As much as I want to see Persona 5, that game has to be in the works, and Atlus are capable of developing multiple projects simultaneously. It may be a good thing for Atlus to develop their tools and get used to the new platforms beforehand. Perhaps more importantly, it also gives hope of persona showing up on the 360.

I'm guessing we'll see more of this come TGS as well as other projects, but for now i'm waiting for a press release.

THE PLOT THICKENS!

Larger versions: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5.

No Caption Provided
    So some mysterious ' Vincent' guy in P3P was a secret/easter egg. Not sure about the specifics of that encounter (I never played that version) but some people do. Regardless, he looks to be a central character in this new game. 

Nice little summary from GAF

-Talks about rumors that you die in real life if you die in your dreams before "hitting bottom"
    - His back story is that his relationship is on the rocks after cheating on his girlfriend, but after hearing that he knocked her up, decides to get back together.
    - Is only referred to as "Man drinking alone" in game, but has several character portraits after you talk to him enough times.
    - Data mining the UMD revealed his portraits to be labeled "Vincent"
    - In the final scene, he promises to tell you more about his story, but that it has nothing to do with your problems, with that line highlighted in Plot Relevant Red.

INTRIGUE!

Updated report from andriasang

"Game Jouhou has posted a bunch of additional details on Catherine, Atlus's new PS3 and Xbox 360 action adventure game.

As detailed below, Catherine is the first HD game from Atlus. It's being made with key members of the Persona staff. Included in the staff list are Katsura Hashino as producer and director, Shigenori Soejima as character designer, and Shouji Meguro as sound composer.

While the game's name is Catherine, the main character is actually a 32-year-old salaryman named Vincent (voiced by Koichi Yamadera). Catherine (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro) is a stylish 22-year-old girl who apparently has the charms of a young girl.

The game begins when Vincent, a vegetarian who has no ambition in work or love (I'm not sure if he's literally a "vegetarian," or if the term "vegetarian" is some sort of metaphor for his personality) runs into the mysterious Catherine one day. At night, he has nightmares.

The nightmares serve as an action component for the

game. Set in a world with an unending stairway, Vincent has to make it to the top of the stairs, or he will not be able to awaken.

Based off Game Jouhou's summary, it's a bit unclear how the game will progress. However, it does seem that even during the nightmare action parts, you'll end up working through the story and encountering events.

During a staff interview, Hashino said that as their first HD game, rather than trying out a true RPG, the team was excited about trying out something new. It looks like Catherine will be just that, as Hashino said it will be more adult oriented than past titles from the team. It's not all style, though. Hashino promised a deep play experience with plenty of gameplay for players to sink their teeth into.

Soejima said that there are some shockingly adult scenes in the game. When you play these scenes, they'll be even more stimulating, although in a difference sense.

Meguro confirmed the adult leanings of the title, saying that the keywords for the game's music are "classic," "adult oriented" and "erotic." He also promised 5.1ch sound.

Meguro also made a comment that has Persona fans excited. He said that due to Catherine, he believes for the time being the staff won't be asked about their next title. However, at some point next year, perhaps he'll be able to respond "Regarding the RPG, Hashino and I are..."

A hint at Persona 5?"

Original report:

"New From Atlus: Catherine (added 11:09)

Atlus is taking that long awaited step into HD with the new multiplatform title Catherine. In development for Xbox 360 and PS3, Catherine is an action adventure game with a horror taste.

(update, after having seen some pics): Uhh... yeah, it definitely has an erotic taste to the art. The main visual on the first page of Famitsu's reveal shows a nearly naked girl spreading her legs apart. The only thing blocking us from seeing too much is the head of some dude with balling eyes.

Catch copy in the Famitsu article says somethign to the effect of: "The man who continues to rise every night in his dreams."

Atlus has key Persona staffers working on the game. Katsura Hashino is the game's producer and director, Naruki Fukushima is character designer, and Masahi Meguro (OP NOTE: It must be Shoji Meguro) is sound composer."

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

sounds awesome. more stuff by atlus is always great.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Finally, a notable current gen. Atlus game that's published on a console other than the PS3.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By DrPockets000

Erotic taste to the art, huh?  As luck would have it, that's one of my favorite word arrangements.  I'm on board.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Animasta

oh man, I am so psyched cause this will probably mean at least a chance of P5 for 360.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael

Horror... eroticism... RapeLay 2: Day of the Tentacle?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust
    @Steve_C: You could supply a source for the news. :p
    MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MetalBaofu

Woohoo for Atlus on 360(I don't have a PS3). I'm always interested in a new game from Atlus, whatever it may be.  Now if they were to ever announce that Persona 5 was going to be on 360...I would lose a lot of incentive to ever buy a PS3.    For some reason, though, I expect Persona to stay PS3 only.  No real reason for thinking that, I just do.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By ReyGitano

HD Erotica from the Persona team. Good to see they're taking that social link system to he next step.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ

So... Vincent, that mysterious NPC from Persona 3 Portable, might not be a character in Persona 5 after all: 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Huh.  Except, Vince is going kinda crazy, there, in that first pic.
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Steve_C
    @Jeust:  Haha, well I gotta give credit where credit's due.

Well, what do we have here.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By Icemael
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    " HD Erotica from the Persona team. Good to see they're taking that social link system to he next step. "
    I hope you get to meet up with some mysterious, foxy ladies and go to the meat dimension, if you know what I'm saying.
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By InfiniteGeass

This game is definitely seems interesting, but it's way too early to tell if I'll like it since I know almost nothing about it right now and who knows when it'll get localized. I am glad it's coming to the 360 though.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By OllyOxenFree

"Have nothing to do with your problems"
    And the game has nothing to do with Persona.  i c wut u did thar, Atlus.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By Jeust
    @Steve_C: Seems promising... :)
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By thehexeditor

Very very very interested to see what Atlus' current-gen graphics framework is like.
    @Icemael said:

" @SlashseveN303 said:
    " HD Erotica from the Persona team. Good to see they're taking that social link system to he next step. "
    I hope you get to meet up with some mysterious, foxy ladies and go to the meat dimension, if you know what I'm saying. "

After I'm done, she'll say "Aiyaaa, 3000 yen please."
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ReyGitano
    @Icemael said:
    " @SlashseveN303 said:
    I hope you get to meet up with some mysterious, foxy ladies and go to the meat dimension, if you know what I'm saying. "
    Bravo. Also, that looks like the club from Persona 3. I like where this is going. Then again maybe all clubs are built that way in Japan.
    Amethyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Amethyst

Says Masahi Meguro is the sound composer. I guess Shoji Meguro really is working on Persona 5 (or something).

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iamjohn
    @Amethyst said:
    " Says Masahi Meguro is the sound composer. I guess Shoji Meguro really is working on Persona 5 (or something). "
    No, it's actually Shoji Meguro.  The guy for andriasang is just an idiot.
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Steve_C
    @Amethyst said:
    " Says Masahi Meguro is the sound composer. I guess Shoji Meguro really is working on Persona 5 (or something). "
    Yeah, I wasn't sure what that's about. It must be a typo, especially considering the other 'veterans' already announced to be on the project. Even Google doesn't know who that guy is.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Looking at both pictures presumably relating to the character Vincent again, I can't help but notice the guy in the scan doesn't have P3P's mole.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iamjohn
    @FluxWaveZ said:

" Looking at both pictures presumably relating to the character Vincent again, I can't help but notice the guy in the scan doesn't have P3P's mole. "

According to people in the GAF thread with the magazine, there's a picture of the character in a diner, where he has everything but the mole (including the same eye color).  It's got to be Vincent. 

Oh by the way, guys, it's coming out this year in Japan.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @iAmJohn said:
    " According to people in the GAF thread with the magazine, there's a picture of the character in a diner, where he has everything but the mole (including the same eye color).  It's got to be Vincent. "
    Alright.  Yeah, I really couldn't think he would be anybody else with all of the "evidence" hinting towards them being the same character.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ReyGitano
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @iAmJohn said:
    " According to people in the GAF thread with the magazine, there's a picture of the character in a diner, where he has everything but the mole (including the same eye color).  It's got to be Vincent. "
    Alright.  Yeah, I really couldn't think he would be anybody else with all of the "evidence" hinting towards them being the same character. "
    I haven't played the portable version, but is there anything else to this character other than him being there to tease a future game?
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iamjohn
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    " I haven't played the portable version, but is there anything else to this character other than him being there to tease a future game? "
    No.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    " I haven't played the portable version, but is there anything else to this character other than him being there to tease a future game? "
    Not really.  Everything about him is posted by the op of this thread and that's about it.
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#27  Edited By metalsnakezero

I expect that this game is a way for Atlus to get use to how to build games on the PS3 and 360. Hope it's a interesting game with the whole adult theme and the fact that Atlus is making it meaning it'll have lots of dark tones.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By rapid

cool, the mysterious man drinking alone looks like Spike from Cowboy Bepop.... the personality too.

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
    PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By PistolPackinPoet

Well I'm glad that the rumors are cleared up. I'll be looking into this game.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lemoncookie01
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By AuthenticM

This is relevent to my interests.

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FakePlasticTree

While I generally dislike more of their games than I like, I have to give props to Atlus for always trying new and different stuff. I've never been much of a Persona fan, and I didn't really like Demon's Soul's, but 3D Dot Game Heroes is one of my favorite games this year, and I'll give Atlus the benefit of the doubt and check out anything they release. 

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By OllyOxenFree

The guy in the lower left corner looks like he is wearing a school outfit as in Persona 4 or possibly 3.  Maybe Persona 4 MC?

Inuzagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Inuzagi
    @iAmJohn said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:

" Looking at both pictures presumably relating to the character Vincent again, I can't help but notice the guy in the scan doesn't have P3P's mole. "

According to people in the GAF thread with the magazine, there's a picture of the character in a diner, where he has everything but the mole (including the same eye color).  It's got to be Vincent. 

Oh by the way, guys, it's coming out this year in Japan. "

Another game for me to import. This has been a fine year so far....at least to me (import game wise). Although has their been any word of a LE for this?
    x_XJules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By x_XJules

FUCK YES. 

Also, thanks for sharing.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By OmegaChosen

So the mysterious Vincent has finally been revealed, huh? Cool, cool. I might pick this up if the previews interest me some more.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Ghostiet

So now that we solved (at least partially) the mystery of Vincent, let's focus on the lady with the spread legs.

I think she's cool.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By neoepoch

If I recall, Atlus generally reveals games in magazines and the reveals tend to be close to the actual release dates for their games. So if it is out this year, we can hope to see it by next spring/summer.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By OllyOxenFree

No Caption Provided
    Yep, it's him.

Also, bewbs.  *insert Ryan grope .gif*
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lemoncookie01
    @OllyOxenFree: Dat chest
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By WickedCestus
    @Lemoncookie01 said:
    " I'm glad Atlus is making games on the current Gen systems.
    "
    Spoiler tags are starting to completely lose their purpose. They are for spoilers! Not for when you have multiple sentences in your post! Soon, they'll be completely meaningless and people will have games spoiled for them because they think the spoiler tag is just for this stupid stuff! This is an epidemic that must be stopped! Start stopping now!
    OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By OmegaChosen

Holy rusted metal, Batman. I just realized something. 

Endurance Run. 

Please let it happen. I know it's a year away. But still.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Steve_C
    @FakePlasticTree said:
    " While I generally dislike more of their games than I like, I have to give props to Atlus for always trying new and different stuff. I've never been much of a Persona fan, and I didn't really like Demon's Soul's, but 3D Dot Game Heroes is one of my favorite games this year, and I'll give Atlus the benefit of the doubt and check out anything they release.  "
    A lot of people seems to get confused by this situation. Atlus has only been publishing 360/PS3 games. From Software made 3D Dot Game Heroes (still need to check that out). The difference here is that this is the first time they're actually making one themselves.

Everyone, i've updated the OP with new hi-res scans. Or at least 'higher-res' scans as they're still a bit blurry. They won't show up large on the main page, but you can go to my image gallery and zoom-in real good.

I also added in an updated andriasang article. "Shockingly adult scenes" people. Don't miss it. Also, Persona 5 will likely be announced next year if it happens.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Steve_C said:
    " I also added in an updated andriasang article. "Shockingly adult scenes" people. Don't miss it. Also, Persona 5 will likely be announced next year if it happens. "
    Fuuuuck, there goes one of my biggest hopes for an announcement at TGS.  Well, at least Catherine doesn't look too bad.  The game, I mean.
    nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nexas

Wait, are those scans in-game or animated cutscenes? If they're in-game then DAAAAAAMN. Atlus done good.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Steve_C
    @FluxWaveZ said:

" @Steve_C said:

" I also added in an updated andriasang article. "Shockingly adult scenes" people. Don't miss it. Also, Persona 5 will likely be announced next year if it happens. "
    Fuuuuck, there goes one of my biggest hopes for an announcement at TGS.  Well, at least Catherine doesn't look too bad.  The game, I mean. "
    Well maybe we'll hear more rumours or whatever. It'll have to be addressed in some fashion. Still, i'm glad they're taking their time. I'm kinda worried that P5 will feel like a ps2 game, so the more time they spend evolving the design and the engine, the better.

Still, this seems to be set in the same universe. I have to imagine that it'll at least be tangentially related to P5 somehow, maybe setting events up, so it'll give you some fiction to chew over. I saw a hypothesis on GAF that the 'die in real life if you die in your dreams' thing Vincent talks about could be the hook of P5.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Steve_C said:
    " I saw a hypothesis on GAF that the 'die in real life if you die in your dreams' thing Vincent talks about could be the hook of P5. "
    Well, that's what I've been saying all of the time before the reveal of Catherine, that the dream stuff he was talking about was going to be the main point of the plot in Persona 5.  But now with the reveal of Catherine, I heavily doubt it will have any lead in or even any big reference to what Persona 5 will be.

I'm also glad they're taking their time with Persona 5, especially with the announcement of Catherine that might end up being pretty fun, but I still would have liked to see more of Persona 5 prior to this because it seemed that that was their principle focus at the moment.  Now I kinda want to see more of Catherine before hearing more about P5.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ReyGitano

I don't mind having to wait longer for a Persona 5 if Catherine means that they'll be able to try out some new things and see what they can do on these next gen (current gen?) platforms. Also this game seems interesting enough that it might be the first non-Persona Atlus game that I pick up.

TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheGodPoet
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    " The guy in the lower left corner looks like he is wearing a school outfit as in Persona 4 or possibly 3.  Maybe Persona 4 MC? "
    Now that you mention it that outfit looks very similar to the school uniform in P4. If the image was clearer I'd be able to tell by the collar.
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By m1k3

Its hard for me to get hype seeing Atlus is saying this is an "Adult" game with "erotic elements." Dont get me wrong, im all for it. But is the US going to be for it. Will Atlus be able to localize it without having to lessen the ero. If you look at the scans, the US media will have a field day with this game (im looking at you FOX News). Obviously we dont know how much ero is going to be in it, but right now i dont see the US letting us get our hands on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.