Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Atlus

Company »

Atlus is a Japanese game developer and publisher.

SEGA Has Purchased Index Corp (ATLUS)

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It won't be Sony. I remember YoshP mentioning that they'd already talked to Sony, and that they didn't particularly care.

If they get bought by a first-party console-maker, I'd bet on Nintendo. With the bets they're placing on games like X and Wonderful 101, it seems like they're invested in the Japanese market.

Besides, it's not like Atlus games sell gangbusters in the grand scheme of things. I think Persona 4 was an outlier, and Catherine too; but overall, I'm not sure who will be interested in them with all of the risks they take.

YoshP? Sony attitude changed. Adn I think Sony would be perfect. Tons of freedom, tons of budget for Atlus and also secured worlwide releases and also Sony quality and friendliness^^

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By bassman2112
    Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Oh no... Persona 5... Awesome localizations... Niche games for the West... Please remain independent.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Who do I need to cut?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By jakob187

@sanj said:

Oh dear. Well, if the parent company does go into liquidation, Atlus will likely be acquired by another company. My only concern is if the wrong company acquires them.

Therefore, Deep Silver should acquire them since they seemingly want in on the publishing business. They don't mess around with studios too much and let them do what they want, which is exactly the way Atlus needs to be handled.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@jakob187 said:

@sanj said:

Oh dear. Well, if the parent company does go into liquidation, Atlus will likely be acquired by another company. My only concern is if the wrong company acquires them.

Therefore, Deep Silver should acquire them since they seemingly want in on the publishing business. They don't mess around with studios too much and let them do what they want, which is exactly the way Atlus needs to be handled.

Or any other company who has the same philosophy?

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Gotta keep hope alive. Unless some dire news hits the web, I'ma be as cool as a cucumber.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If anyone wants to retweet this then, go ahead.

No Caption Provided

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Aegon
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61  Edited By pr1mus

Doubtful. Atlus is one of the few really smart developers that have been able to put out quality games in relatively niche markets and managed to come out successful the majority of times. They know how to run their business and create quality without resorting to the Cliffy B mentality of "let's throw 200 more people and add 50 millions to the budget to make this thing happen". Someone will pick them up for sure if it comes to that.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#62  Edited By Brackynews
    @mento said:

It'd be nuts if Atlus got bought by Square-Enix. I can only imagine the JRPG power of that triumvirate.

Persona IV-2.

I can take it. :D

@pr1mus: We're calling the industry-norm practice of triple-A development the "Cliffy B mentality" now? Didn't that kind of dig become moot when he retired?

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think if they're going to be bought, Sony would be the best bet. This would give Sony some Vita RPGs that might help sell the system. Also Sony would probably give them the same amount of freedom that they have right now.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pepsiman said:

Oh god, let's see if I can try and put out some fires with my Japanese knowledge before this turns into another forum thread on this topic where people are running around with their heads chopped off.

Long story short, based on what I've read from Japanese sources and my own knowledge of Japanese business laws:

• The game division of Index (read: Atlus and the mobile game branches of Index) have been more or less the only profitable part of Index, which has been openly acknowledged by the company, even as the rest of the company has been deteriorating due to the money laundering issues that have been happening behind the scenes.
    • Japanese bankruptcy in cases like this works like a lot of American ones; the main order of business will be to try and keep the company afloat by re-prioritizing Index's debts and do some corporate restructuring such that the owners of the debt have greater influence in how the company is run in the short term.
    • This means that bankruptcy does not inherently equal a complete collapse of Index and with it, Atlus. Americans in this thread can think of Index's current arrangements as being not unlike what corporations like GM underwent several years back; these bankruptcy laws are designed to prevent outright closures as much as possible. Index's situation is not like THQ's. That being said...
    • Index's alleged money laundering issues also very likely mean that its finances are strained from another avenue, the extent of which can't be entirely gathered until the Japanese government has concluded its investigation.
    • Worst case scenario, if Index does pull a THQ and outright dies, to paraphrase GAF, Atlus' fate would very likely be like Volition's and not, say, Vigil. This is to say, somebody is very likely to buy out Atlus before Atlus would be remotely close to dying, giving that the franchises that they have are not without staying power within Japan.
    • To that end, not that expect most of you to be able to read this since there are only a handful of other duders that are fluent in Japanese, but Index has already stated that because of the game division's (again, which includes Atlus specifically) comparatively favorable situation, they're interested in either taking on a business partner to help with the upkeep of that end or having someone indeed buy it outright. If it comes to them trying their hand at the latter, they will almost certainly succeed; I can think of several companies that would very much so have legitimate interests in owning something like Atlus (read:likely not one of the platform holders).

tldr, bankruptcy is serious shit, but not serious that it will probably kill Atlus outright. If anything, if they get bought up by a proper game company again, some of their ongoing quality issues with how their franchise licensing has been handled in recent years might actually be put back under control.

appreciate the breakdown of news, actually gonna tag @jeff to this post as he might be interested to know.

i wonder which company would be willing to partner or buy them?

id love to think sony would but obviously not, id imagine they need some ps4 money first before even thinking of acquisitions as the talk is they are also not in a good shape,

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@hailinel said:

People in here are worried that Microsoft is going to jump in for a by out, but they don't have any stake in Atlus's survival. The company has produced very few games for Microsoft platforms. I imagine that if anything, Nintendo is paying much closer attention to the situation given that they're working with Atlus on Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. There's a direct financial stake involved.

Yeah, I was thinking that Nintendo or Sony would be the first ones in line to pick up Atlus, if they were going to become a first party dev.

Microsoft didn't even have Japan in their list of nations that could connect to their authentication servers when the DRM was still in place, so there's almost no chance that they would even think about buying Atlus. I don't really see why people would think that. EA is more likely to pick up Atlus, and I doubt we'd see that either since Atlus doesn't make Call of Duty rip offs.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

Doubtful. Atlus is one of the few really smart developers that have been able to put out quality games in relatively niche markets and managed to come out successful the majority of times. They know how to run their business and create quality without resorting to the Cliffy B mentality of "let's throw 200 more people and add 50 millions to the budget to make this thing happen". Someone will pick them up for sure if it comes to that.

I like how you singled out Cliffy B for absolutely no reason. Get off the hatorade please.

Anyways I hope Microsoft gets them for the lulz. The tears and meltdowns would be great. Imagine if Persona 5 was an X1 exclusive?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how you singled out Cliffy B for absolutely no reason. Get off the hatorade please.

Anyways I hope Microsoft gets them for the lulz. The tears and meltdowns would be great. Imagine if Persona 5 was an X1 exclusive?

lol

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Aegon

@kishinfoulux said:

lol

Kishinfoulux 101

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think you'd have many "lulz" if you wanted to drink in the rage from the fringe group of RPG players who are a fringe group would care about Persona 5 going exclusive to any platform.

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully a good third party will help out, I've seen others suggest Marvelous AQL

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I said before Atlus has done well in the video game market to be seen by many 3rd parties (Japanese 3rd parties) as a good asset if they are up for sell. Someone will get them but it is worrying on who it will be. However, it not going to be Microsoft since they aren't doing well in Asia and since the Xbox One isn't coming out in the Asian region for a year they aren't going to make a lot of games on that platform and focus development on PS4 and WiiU. It not going to be Sony or Nintendo since Atlus games are spread out on both of their systems.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I seriously doubt Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony are even slightly interested in picking up Atlus. Probably going to be some powerful Asian company not many Americans know about.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps it was just the people I know, but Index being on fire was sorta the things most of us were talking about.

Again, who cares about what happens to the IPs, I'm always concerned about the people who might and will be caught in the crossfire. Why don't we worry about that? We may not know who they are but they're more important than the things their produce #soapbox

Given that NIS, Namco, Tecmo Koei, Majesco, ATLUS... yeah, a lot of smaller publishers... are going through tough times, one or more of them might do well to merge just to stay alive. Part of the problem that these companies face is that Japan is slowing down in game development and not enough games are being shopped around that can be picked up by these companies. Yes, NIS has Disgaea on lock, but they have noticeably broadened their lineup more and more because there isn't much out there and there are countless publishers. XSEED has been killing it on Vita, but only so many games from Japan are worth translating and bringing over.

Of course, Index falling apart is a separate issue from ATLUS falling apart in some ways, but nobody here should be surprised if a few more parent companies (Japanese or other) or publishers start to fold.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gooiegreen: You know, people keep saying that the small Japanese studios are going down for years now and that still hasn't happen. When most people say Atlus they mean every at Atlus regardless of which game they work on. We know they are people and we want them to keeping making games we love.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#77  Edited By Jeust

@mento said:

It'd be nuts if Atlus got bought by Square-Enix. I can only imagine the JRPG power of that triumvirate.

But yes, they're too big to fail. I'm not concerned.

If Atlus is sold, Square-Enix will be one of the frontrunners to buy it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Atlus USA official statement:

Currently, Index Digital Media, Inc. and the ATLUS brand are unaffected by the Index Corporation proceedings in Japan. We’re carrying on day-to-day activities, business as usual. Shin Megami Tensei IV and Dragon’s Crown are still releasing on July 16 and August 6 respectively, and we’re licensing and publishing third-party titles such as R.I.P.D: The Game and Daylight. We want to thank all of our fans for their outpouring of support.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atlus USA official statement:

Currently, Index Digital Media, Inc. and the ATLUS brand are unaffected by the Index Corporation proceedings in Japan. We’re carrying on day-to-day activities, business as usual. Shin Megami Tensei IV and Dragon’s Crown are still releasing on July 16 and August 6 respectively, and we’re licensing and publishing third-party titles such as R.I.P.D: The Game and Daylight. We want to thank all of our fans for their outpouring of support.

That good to hear. Brings in little hope for them.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By nintendork666

All we can do now is hope for the best.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to see ATLUS still strong, hopefully they can still do what the do and not be tainted.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People caring about Persona V being exclusive are forgetting that Persona 4 was a PS2 exclusive.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

I don't think you'd have many "lulz" if you wanted to drink in the rage from the fringe group of RPG players who are a fringe group would care about Persona 5 going exclusive to any platform.

Persona is a Sony branded IP and should stay that way. Also I believe only at Sony Atlus had this kind of freedom they deserve. Sony would be really the best choice in this matter.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

It's always depressing to hear that a video game company goes into bankruptcy. =-(

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#87  Edited By Pepsiman

The list of Index's main creditors within the entertainment industry has been made public. Below is my translation of the numbers rundown for the alleged debt owed based on what was originally posted here, with the rankings being from most money owed, to least. It's an interesting gamut of companies, to say the least, spanning a pretty wide spectrum of industries. I'll note said industries for potential more obscure companies whose names don't make it obvious in parentheses for those not on the up-and-up with that sort of stuff.

1. Production I.G. (anime): 44,100,000 yen
    2. ASCII Media Works (publishing): 31,251,000 yen
    3. Aquaplus (video games): 24,120,000 yen
    4. STUDIO MAUSU (anime): 17,314,000 yen
    5. Nintendo: 13,599,000 yen
    6. Pony Canyon (entertainment, esp. music): 12,373,000 yen
    7. Shueisha (publishing, esp. manga): 11,395,000 yen
    8. Enterbrain (publishing): 6,166,000 yen
    9. Fuji Television: 5,525,000 yen
    10. M-ON Entertainment (Sony Music subsidiary): 5,040,000 yen
    11. JASRAC (Japanese copyright collection group): 3,528,000 yen
    12. GREE: 2,506,000 yen
    13. Sega: 2,454,000 yen
    14. Movic (entertainment): 2,412,000 yen
    15. Yomiuri Advertising: 1,890,000 yen
    16. Aniplex (entertainment, esp. anime and music): 1,862,000 yen
    17. Wiz Inc. (toys): 1,737,000 yen
    18. Takara Tomy (toys): 1,370,000 yen
    19. T.O Entertainment [not an acronym error]: 1,260,000 yen
    20. Asahi Television: 1,218,000 yen
    21. Taito: 1,113,000 yen
    22. Gakken Publishing: 1,071,000 yen
    23. Tatsumi Publishing: 1,050,000 yen

To put these numbers into greater perspective, the grand total comes to 194,354,000 yen, which is roughly $2 million USD, 1.5 million euros, 1.3 million pounds for my American, European Union, and British compatriots. This figure alone might seem like a bit of a trifling number for a company dealing with bankruptcy, but again, this is not a complete list of Index's creditors; these are simply what we can presume to be are the ones with the biggest balances waiting to be paid. [MAJOR EDIT: I skimmed the early paragraph of the original Japanese source a bit too much during my initial reading. The reality of these figures is that these numbers account for how much Index owes to companies specifically within various entertainment and publishing industries; it otherwise owes a combined total of over $200 million to various other firms overall. These $2 million are therefore only about 1% of the entire amount of Index's debts.] Additionally, Index is still undergoing a government investigation into serious money laundering allegations. As I've written before, the results of that investigation should be able to put into greater perspective what financial resources it realistically had at its disposal without cooking the books, which is to say probably pretty bleak, the profitable standing of Atlus and the rest of Index's game sector notwithstanding.

The list of creditors is also interesting in a few places, given their relationship to Atlus specifically. I'll outline in bullet points the ones that really stick out to me below.

• Nintendo. This one should be relatively obvious, given that Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is an Atlus-developed production in conjunction with Nintendo. It recently came to light through a developer interview that Nintendo was the one who approached Atlus initially with a proposal for the latter to make a Fire Emblem entry set in modern times. It's obvious Nintendo would have been bankrolling that project at least significantly, but that information probably indicates where the lion's share of that game's budget has likely come from. That being said, the number posited here is, if I were to guess, probably not debt that's related to that project. It's hard to know for certain without having insider access, obviously, but if that money is recent, it might be coming from Nintendo providing marketing support and, at least in Europe, publishing logisitics for Shin Megami Tensei IV, which has been promoted before on previous Nintendo Directs. I have no hard data to back up that hypothesis, though. [ANOTHER EDIT: The corresponding NeoGAF thread on this matter has also pointed out a more plausible theory, which is that these costs are probably related to cartridge manufacturing fees and whatnot. Considering that SMTIV and the remake of Etrian Odyssey 1 were both released in Japan recently really close to each other, these costs are likely related to that. Atlus itself is probably capable of paying these off in a timely manner, but will remain unable to do so for the time being until this bankruptcy business is settled because of legal rules. These numbers were therefore just listed as a matter of course.)
    • GREE. This debt is probably more directly related to the mobile game-specific branches of Index, but since Atlus has been known to publish cell phone game spinoffs for its more popular franchises, including multiple cell phone MMOs for the Persona series, it's not out of the question that it might have an Atlus connection of some sort.
    • Sega. Out of all the game companies listed here, this might prove to be one of the most confusing presences for those looking at this list, save for Aquaplus, which is a prominent visual novel company in Japan. (You're guess is as good as mine what they're doing here. Sorry.) However, the reason may very well likely like with Atlus' existing business relationship with Sega, which sees the latter handling shipping and distribution duties for the former's games within Japan. While not all that common of a business relationship in the Japanese game industry, especially considering Index is a publisher in its own right, it's not without precedence and has occasionally happened even outside of Japan. The reason is simply that some companies have better channels for game distribution and getting product to move around. This is a relationship that has only sprouted up in recent years and has been most visible to the public in the form of Atlus games having a presence at Sega booths at TGS.
    • Takara Tomy. This is probably the most amusing creditor of all to show up on this list, simply because they were the previous owner of Atlus prior to Index's acquisition and subsequent merger within the last several years. Not entirely sure what relationship they might still have with Index beyond that. Perhaps they're responsible for some of the figure merchandising for Atlus' games?

I think I've pretty much said all I could possibly say about these numbers based on the original Japanese source and my own knowledge of the various business relationships involved. Still, I'll be happy to field questions if people have them.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No new developments? I wonder if we'll hear anything new about this before the November 5th deadline.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Hosstile17

Persona 5 is the next "The Last Guardian"

I wouldn't go that far. The Last Guardian was actually announced. Person 5 hasn't even been spoken of directly. Hell, there isn't even a logo out there.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By jimmyfenix
    cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By cutyoface

@bigjeffrey: Sega wouldn't be worst choice. Better than Nintendo or Sony.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: Sega wouldn't be worst choice. Better than Nintendo or Sony.

Sega have been putting out nothing but 90% social games in japan and almost none existence presence in the west. I would rather sony, microsoft or nintendo buy them and put out real games than that sega cesspool.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Who will buy Sega then?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Who will buy Sega then?

No one.

I don't think this will really change much, aside from giving Atlus ownership that's financially more stable than a house of cards. If this goes through, it shouldn't impact Atlus's day-to-day operations or those of Atlus USA.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#96  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Might not be the end of the world if Sega buys them. The big problem at Sega these days seems to be that there aren't enough talented internal studios to put out decent games anymore (not even Sumo), and really the only way to fix that is by staffing up.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Animasta

The best possible outcome that isn't them buying themselves out of it (which was always impossible).

edit; this also means that Europe will start not getting screwed with Atlus games (I assume).

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Sega buying Atlus wouldn't be the end of the world but if they treat Atlus like how they treated Platinum games then I would be a bit worried.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's what you get for region locking your games and treating europe like total shit.

What? Console games are nearly always region locked. And europe is nearly always treated like total shit.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sega buying Atlus wouldn't be the end of the world but if they treat Atlus like how they treated Platinum games then I would be a bit worried.

platinum was never owned by Sega though? There's a big difference between owning a studio and just publishing a game for them.

I mean, Creative Assembly has been doing better than ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.