Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Atlus

Company »

Atlus is a Japanese game developer and publisher.

Sega Sammy holdings splits Atlus from Index.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Now that Sega owns Index, they've begun putting their ducks in a row. Come April 1st, Atlus will be split off from Index. Atlus will also receive all of Index's intellectual properties (i.e.: They will retain ownership of Shin Megami Tensei and all other properties they owned themselves before they were purchased by Index years ago.) Additionally, Index Digital Media, the official name of the North American subsidiary, will become Atlus USA again. As for Index itself, it's being reorganized for some sort of content delivery task and will no longer be related to Atlus productions in any way, other than the fact that both are part of Sega Sammy.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I dunno why, but Atlus being owned by Sega just sounds so weird to me. This whole chain of events in general was really weird.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Now Atlus USA can start officially localizing Yakuza 5......Right?

Ah forget it.....It's a lost cause....

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It doesn't mean too much presently, but Atlus is definitely a better brand than Index and it'll be nice to have Atlus officially referred to as such as of April 1.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Who knows what will happen in the future, but this certainly sounds like a positive change for Atlus, since Index wasn't doing any good for them.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I don't have a clue what any of this means. Not a goddamned clue. But it sounds shiny and excellent and good for Atlus, so... drinks all around?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zeik

@sparky_buzzsaw: As far as I can tell, it basically means Atlus gets to keep all their stuff while Index is getting swept off into the corner.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

It's a little odd to me for it to be happening on April 1st, but hey, sounds like a good move from Sega.

Which is also a little odd for me to say.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I'm still surprised Sega still owns Sammy at this point, that was a partnership like in 2004 and even then Guilty Gear fans were paranoid..... and now nothing happened.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#10 sgtsphynx  Moderator
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Don't give up, brother! You have to believe!

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sometimes change is a good thing. I hope this is one of those times.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling said:

Don't give up, brother! You have to believe!

I want to believe!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

So Atlus is essentially their own company now? Without any connection to Sega?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I think it means that the people still working for Index don't lead Atlus anymore, now it is directly under Sega.

Now: Sega -> Atlus

Previously: Sega -> Index -> Atlus

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@video_game_king said:

I think it means that the people still working for Index don't lead Atlus anymore, now it is directly under Sega.

Yep, mainly. "Atlus" didn't actually officially exist for a while now, even though that's the name they were using for branding anyways. Not, the "Atlus" name has actually been revived.

Hashino made a statement about it on p-ch that was translated here:

Hey all.

It's been a long time coming, but we're finally able to stage our comeback as a company at last. (Sobs.)

It goes without saying, but I know we've made you, the fans, worry a lot these past several years. We lost that which we thought we could once take for granted when Atlus ceased to be a proper company. Atlus continued to live on as a brand, but we had to do a lot of soul searching during those years, especially with respect to what made our games enjoyable on their own terms and and what it means to us personally to bring those games to life.

I might be a bit overdramatic when I say this, but I think much like people, the games that leave a lasting impression upon us are the ones that that charm us and challenge us alike, ones that require more than mere passiveness on our part to enjoy and set out to change the status quo with good intentions. While it's important for players to enjoy themselves when playing video games, I want ours to linger on in their members for other reasons beyond that. Those are the things I've kept at the forefront of my mind as I keep pursuing this life as a creator that I've gone down.

And that's not going to change moving forward.

We want to keep making the games that'll make you all happy as fans and while we're working hard to bring them to you, I hope you'll continue to voice your passionate support for us as you always have.

-Katsura Hashino

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In other words: one step closer to this glorious reality.

Fun fact: this is apparently not the first time I've used this image on Giant Bomb. Scary, right?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff said:

Fun fact: this is apparently not the first time I've used this image on Giant Bomb. Scary, right?

I want to know why you've used this before

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
    nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: Funny now that Alex used it. I'm really interested in what the Shadow Sonic would be like. Or Shadow Big the Cat!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Crazy that Sega has been buying up these awesome Devs. First the awesome Total War guys, then the always amazing Relic Team, and now Atlus. I just hope these devs can bring Sega up instead of Sega bringing them down.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crazy that Sega has been buying up these awesome Devs. First the awesome Total War guys, then the always amazing Relic Team, and now Atlus. I just hope these devs can bring Sega up instead of Sega bringing them down.

They've been very smart on the PC market by signing up Creative Assembly and Sports Interactive (YES NONE OF YOU GIVE A SHIT ABOUT FOOTBALL MANAGER BUT IT'S ONE OF THE BEST SELLING PC GAMES EVERY YEAR!!!!) and Atlus. If I was ignorant to the consoles I'd say Sega were in incredible shape... then you look at the consoles and you're like... oh :/

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: Are you implying that Shadow the Hedgehog is not Shadow Sonic?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King

@scrawnto: @nightriff:

This is Persona 3, so no Shadow People. At least not in the Persona 4 sense.

There WILL, however, be this. You know there will.
    There WILL, however, be this. You know there will.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scrawnto: Who? I have only every played Sonic on the Game Gear, I know, I'm a bad person

@video_game_king: Have we decided on an Arcana for everyone? I see Sonic as Chariot, I don't know why

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@crusader8463 said:

They've been very smart on the PC market by signing up Creative Assembly and Sports Interactive (YES NONE OF YOU GIVE A SHIT ABOUT FOOTBALL MANAGER BUT IT'S ONE OF THE BEST SELLING PC GAMES EVERY YEAR!!!!) and Atlus. If I was ignorant to the consoles I'd say Sega were in incredible shape... then you look at the consoles and you're like... oh :/

I'm really curious to see what becomes of Relic now that they are at Sega. They have been a Warhammer game making machine for many a years at this point. Do they keep making those or is sega putting them on a new project? It would have to be something new. I can't think of anything Sega has the rights on for them to be doing.

I like those manager style games in theory, but I'm just not a fan of any of the sports they make those for. Give me Blood Bowl Manager or a Wrestling manager game where you must build a federation from the ground up and manage a stable of wrestlers and all the crazy that comes along with it then sign me up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.