Atlus.com Hacked

#1 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

I just got an email from Tim @ Atlus.

So, just a heads-up!

Dearest fans of Atlus,

Today (4/24/2009), our web domain (atlus.com) was hacked and compromised.  A third-party entity embedded malicious code into the script, and regretfully, for a period of a few hours (from roughly 9:00am PST until 2:30pm PST), this malicious software (which we believe we have identified as a Trojan) may have made its way onto your systems.

The faith and trust of our fans is of the utmost importance to us, a responsibility we don't take lightly.  As such, we are deeply troubled by this development, and we are now working to repair and restore the website.

We advise any and all of our fans, whether they visited our website or not in the past day or two, to protect their computers with anti-virus software and to run malware removal software on their systems to ensure that their security is not compromised.

As we work quickly to restore the Atlus website and to investigate the nature of this security breach, we ask for your understanding and patience.

Sincerely,
Atlus

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18987 posts) -

That's some crazy shit right there.

#3 Posted by raven_squad (438 posts) -

Well that sucks....

#4 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

Why would someone do that to ATLUS?  They make badass games, they are uber-independent (so you won't end up infecting MANY computers), and they are way too cool for school to infect.

Fucking asshole hackers.
#5 Posted by ValkyrieGoddess (1922 posts) -

Man i love ATLUS... I bet it was there competition.

#6 Posted by Fallen189 (5004 posts) -

They should get a dog.

#7 Posted by papercut (3492 posts) -

Apparently Hackers have have something against original JRPGs

#8 Edited by pause422 (6181 posts) -

Damn that sucks. I'm glad ATLUS cares enough though to at least warn people of what happened and to check for malware/viruses if they've visited their site..I'm sure others wouldn't do nearly as much. Hope they get everything straight soon, I love ATLUS.

#9 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

I'm seriously suprised someone bothered with that over a bigger company.  Because as much as you guys like atlus, their games don't sell a huge amount in comparison to say, square or ea.

#10 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

But as a smaller company, it was probably easier for hackers to exploit them. Square and EA probably have better security in place.

#11 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -
SmugDarkLoser said:
"I'm seriously suprised someone bothered with that over a bigger company.  Because as much as you guys like atlus, their games don't sell a huge amount in comparison to say, square or ea. "
Maybe they figured they are fucking with shit not to be fucked with had they hacked like a square or ea site. Cause those fuckers will like hire people to fish out your ip address and come to your house and shit. Like the dude who did it could get in serious trouble if hes caught. And youd better believe that the bigger companies would take it way worse.
#12 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Atlus hating scumbags.

#13 Posted by RetroIce4 (4392 posts) -
MasturbatingBear said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"I'm seriously suprised someone bothered with that over a bigger company.  Because as much as you guys like atlus, their games don't sell a huge amount in comparison to say, square or ea. "
Maybe they figured they are fucking with shit not to be fucked with had they hacked like a square or ea site. Cause those fuckers will like hire people to fish out your ip address and come to your house and shit. Like the dude who did it could get in serious trouble if hes caught. And youd better believe that the bigger companies would take it way worse."
Prob. True and your name scares me. Damn Atlus. Wish you luck.
#14 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

Pluto's Kiss is coming.

#15 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

It was Jack Frost! He was tired of being abused so much!

#16 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -
AnimZero said:
"It was Jack Frost! He was tired of being abused so much!"
Yes.  LINK the site that is being reported as hacked and throwing out malware and spamware.  -_-

Intelligence abounds!
#17 Posted by LiquidPrince (15942 posts) -

I don't get why someone would do that...

#18 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"AnimZero said:
"It was Jack Frost! He was tired of being abused so much!"
Yes.  LINK the site that is being reported as hacked and throwing out malware and spamware.  -_-

Intelligence abounds!"
Atlusonline wasn't hacked, Atlus.com was.
#19 Posted by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -

That sucks.

#20 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

Man, Trojans are like the STDs of the interwebs.

#21 Edited by Disgaeamad (1342 posts) -

Don't worry, they've assigned me the task of piledriving the shit out of the hacker.

Am I gonna have to piledrive a bitch?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.