how unblieveily awesome would it be if sony bought atlus

#1 Edited by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

If sony bought atlus and made it a first party dev. 
It would be amazing because in most basic terms it would be atlus with money.
then you would get megaten PSN games and full on high quality ps3 games and psp games.

#2 Posted by Lashe (1251 posts) -

Atlus do a good job with the money they have. Their time will come, they're earning it.

#3 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

well I've been a raving fan of atlus since the ps1 and I have every single game they've made.
but since they are still small there is always the chance that things could break bad for them.
If atlus ever shut down it would be the worst thing ever to me.

#4 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

That's a terrible idea. Not only are they a multi-platform developer and publisher, they publish niche games. Stuff most other publishers wouldn't. If another company was controlling them, they may not be do that. 
For example, look at Demon's Souls. Atlus USA is publishing that in North America. Why? Because SCEA obviously didn't want to. If Sony was controlling Atlus, we probably wouldn't get it at all.

Atlus doesn't need a big budget to make great games. That's what I like about them.

#5 Posted by Icemael (6321 posts) -

That would be unbelievably horrible. That means they'd stop developing for non-Sony platforms(which means no more DS games, and no chance of an SMT appearing on 360), and that Sony would make all decisions about localization. And honestly, Atlus really doesn't need huge amounts of money.

#6 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

not at all awesome cause i cant afford a ps3 >_>

#7 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -
@NickL said:
" not at all awesome cause i cant afford a ps3 >_> "

Same here - even with the price cuts its out of my budget range (I'm a university student by the way).
#8 Posted by pause422 (6188 posts) -

That wouldn't be a good idea at all.

#9 Posted by jkz (4027 posts) -

No. Everyone should be able to experience the wonderful games Atlus puts out. They've gained popularity with P4 and I think the combined revenue of P4 and 5 (when it's release) will be enough to push them through. Don't force them to develop for one platform and limit the audience to such high-calibur games.

#10 Posted by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

A big company like sony would stop them from developing a tonne of their smaller, niche titles they make, and force them to dedicate their time to one or two big blockbuster games. This isn't Atlus's style, and I wouldn't like to see them do this.

#11 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

No. Although I only own a PS3, I wanna share the love of the greatness that is Atlus.

This cannot be kept on one platform.
#12 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" A big company like sony would stop them from developing a tonne of their smaller, niche titles they make, and force them to dedicate their time to one or two big blockbuster games. This isn't Atlus's style, and I wouldn't like to see them do this. "
Sony still publishes a ton of smaller niche titles too. Maybe not so much in the US, most of that is relegated to PSN.

But I'd rather see Atlus, NIS, Xseed and maybe a couple others clump together to form some kind of awesome Japanese Alliance.
#13 Posted by Jeust (10652 posts) -

I wouldn't like to see it. 

And as sony doesn't seem to be interested in buying any outfit, rather having patnerships, seems highly unlikely.

#14 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

Horrible idea.

#15 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

It must be opposite day today.
I'll never understand why someone would think its a good thing to make it harder for more people to play good games. But then I didn't spend all my allowance on a failure of a console.

#16 Posted by natetodamax (19207 posts) -

How 'bout no? I wanna play Persona 5 on my Xbox 360. Screw the PS3

#17 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

apart from the whole persona mess, what is Atlus' greatest games ? 

#18 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

Sure it could be good if it meant that they would FINALLY make Persona 5 for the PS3

#19 Edited by Tiwi (1401 posts) -
@ryanwho said:

" It must be opposite day today. I'll never understand why someone would think its a good thing to make it harder for more people to play good games. But then I didn't spend all my allowance on a failure of a console. "

HAHAHAH! I almost forgot how much i hate pps like you.  
Coming in with that bomb. ha ha. 
Atlus has always developed games for sony, it makes no difference to us (us being pps who own the ps3) becuase we know they will make persona 5 for the ps3. 
"... a failure of a console." haha i don't think you know what the F**k you are talking about.
#20 Posted by angryphil (83 posts) -

lol noooo then where would shining soul 3 be???

#21 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

It would not be unbelievably awesome at all.

#22 Edited by Tiwi (1401 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: demon survivor on the DS is pretty good. and Trauma Center. and Odins sphere.
#23 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@tiwi said:
" @ryanwho said:
 Atlus has always developed games for sony "
Nobody tell this guy about Devil Survivor or Strange Journey.
#24 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

I just have to laugh at everyone that thinks this is bad only knows of persona 4 or is a 360 fanboy

#25 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@tiwi said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic: demon survivor on the DS is pretty good. and trauma team. and Odins sphere. "
They didn't actually develop Odin Sphere, though, just published it.
#26 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -
@EvilTwin: ok, just know the name from the box
#27 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" @tiwi said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic: demon survivor on the DS is pretty good. and trauma team. and Odins sphere. "
They didn't actually develop Odin Sphere, though, just published it. "
trauma team is fucking awesome
#28 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -
@ryanwho: i meant that in the way that there has always been games that Atlus made on the Sony platform
#29 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -
@trophyhunter: sry it's trauma center (got them mixed up) but yes it is awesome
#30 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@tiwi said:
" @trophyhunter: sry it's trauma center (got them mixed up) but yes it is awesome "
no the new one that's coming out trauma team that looks awesome
#31 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

I think it would be disasterous. Atlus thrives on putting out games on the smaller, less powerful systems. Sure, giving them money would help that, but they do their best at making story-driven games. They don't need money for that. They're fine as is.

#32 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -
@Arkthemaniac said:
" I think it would be disasterous. Atlus thrives on putting out games on the smaller, less powerful systems. Sure, giving them money would help that, but they do their best at making story-driven games. They don't need money for that. They're fine as is. "
seconded, only it would have been cool to see what would have come of it.*thinks*
#33 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" I just have to laugh at everyone that thinks this is bad only knows of persona 4 or is a 360 fanboy "
Because we don't want to restrict a developer to a single console, that makes us fanboys? No, a fanboy is the opposite of that: someone with a devotion to platforms from only one manufacturer; someone who doesn't want others to experience great games. 

We want Atlus to make games for the systems they want to make games for. You want them only to make games for the PlayStation family, something even they obviously don't want to do. Who's the real fanboy here, kingmasters?
#34 Posted by Discorsi (1390 posts) -

yes it also would be awesome if i could ride dinosaurs..... TO THE MOON.

#35 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

Atlus has survived for what seems like eons without being owned by some big major publisher.  They continue to produce top quality games.  Why in the Hell would they want to get bought out and told what to do all the time by someone else?

#36 Posted by Brendan (7811 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" I just have to laugh at everyone that thinks this is bad only knows of persona 4 or is a 360 fanboy "
Because we don't want to restrict a developer to a single console, that makes us fanboys? No, a fanboy is the opposite of that: someone with a devotion to platforms from only one manufacturer; someone who doesn't want others to experience great games.   We want Atlus to make games for the systems they want to make games for. You want them only to make games for the PlayStation family, something even they obviously don't want to do. Who's the real fanboy here, kingmasters? "

Seconded, it's pretty obvious who the real fanboy is.  I really enjoyed Devil Survivor on the DS, and I would like to see some SMT goodness on the 360 as well.  I'm sure Atlus wants to see sales on that console in addition to the PS family.
#37 Posted by Creamypies (4066 posts) -
@dcpc10 said:
" @trophyhunter said:

" If sony bought atlus and made it a first party dev.  It would be amazing because in most basic terms it would be atlus with money. then you would get megaten PSN games and full on high quality ps3 games and psp games. "

I second this, and anyways, Persona games seem to be doing best on the PS platforms. Not-to-mention, Atlus has a high amount of expierence specifically with the PS2 and PSP. "
Probably because they've never released them on any other platform...
#38 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" It must be opposite day today. I'll never understand why someone would think its a good thing to make it harder for more people to play good games. But then I didn't spend all my allowance on a failure of a console. "
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SNAP
#39 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

No, cause the Wii would be left without the awesomeness that is Trauma Center.

#40 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
"If sony bought atlus and made it a first party dev.  It would be amazing because in most basic terms it would be atlus with money. then you would get megaten PSN games and full on high quality ps3 games and psp games. "

I can guarantee Atlus would do better on their own
#41 Posted by Ben_H (3361 posts) -

Atlus should be left alone.  They make high quality products with little money and are successful with it.  The games may not sell into the millions like high budget, heavily advertised games but they don't need to because they only need a much smaller number to sell in order to turn a profit.

#42 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Lashe said:
" Atlus do a good job with the money they have. Their time will come, they're earning it. "
This. Besides, then they'd be forced to only make games on Sony products, leaving everyone else in the gutter.
#43 Posted by ChrisTaran (1610 posts) -

So awesome that it would be the exact polar opposite of awesome.

#44 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -

No, i want everyone on every console to know the awesomeness that is Atlus

#45 Posted by Terry_Bogard (303 posts) -

I'm not gonna lie.. it'd be horrible if Sony bought Atlus. I don't even feel like list reasons because of how dumb this is. =\

#46 Posted by Shirogane (3574 posts) -

Atlus is one of those companies that you want to be itself, not owned by anyone else. Cause they do what no one else will do, the way they want to do it. And most of the time they do it well.
#47 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -

That's a horrible reason.  Atlus isn't just a developer, it's a publisher as well.  And many games they publish in NA would not have found an outlet otherwise.

#48 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

No way. Let Atlus do their own thing. The current Atlus brings awesome niche titles to the West with the best localization team in the gaming industry onto Sony's platform already. If they were owned by Sony, they'd just bring "system-sellers" to the West with the best localization team in the gaming industry onto Sony's platform. The negatives outweigh the budget.

#49 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" If sony bought atlus and made it a first party dev.  It would be amazing because in most basic terms it would be atlus with money. then you would get megaten PSN games and full on high quality ps3 games and psp games. "
I have seen some really dumb things from you in the past TT, and I never saw this all that time ago, but have you got smarter since posting this?  Stick to your one liners and insulting Brad, that is your best work  :/
#50 Posted by TheHT (11274 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" That's a terrible idea. Not only are they a multi-platform developer and publisher, they publish niche games. Stuff most other publishers wouldn't. If another company was controlling them, they may not be do that. 
For example, look at Demon's Souls. Atlus USA is publishing that in North America. Why? Because SCEA obviously didn't want to. If Sony was controlling Atlus, we probably wouldn't get it at all.

Atlus doesn't need a big budget to make great games. That's what I like about them. "
They've certainly proved that time and again, but you make a very good point. Do we really want Sony having a say in what they make?

I mean the obvious benefit of being picked up is money but the cost of  creative freedom just ain't worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.