Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Audiosurf

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 15, 2008

Audiosurf is a block-matching game that generates levels based on the rhythm and tempo of songs that the player loads from their hard drive.

Are Mono characters at a disadvantage?

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By valrog

I was just wondering if other characters that use multi color blocks actually have an edge over mono characters? Can you reach the same numbers using a mono character as you would otherwise?

I mean, even if I don't hit grays, have a clean finish and other bonuses I still can't top other players most of the time. I can't even come close to them, in fact. Now, I did manage to get a huge score on one song, but I can't help but feel that no matter what I do I improve my scores. Is that a limitation of the mono style or are other players simply cheating?

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Devoid

Mono's easy mode, so of course you'd get less points. But hell, that's all I play on Audiosurf anyways.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By B0nd07

As Devoid said, Mono is easy mode, so it's not as complex, and there are different leader boards for each difficulty. Also, some people are either really good, or cheating. I saw some blatant examples of the later during the Portal 2 ARG thing.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I only play Ninja Mono Ironmode (I think that's what it's called). I just don't have fun with the others. It separates the modes on the leaderboard though, doesn't it? The scores aren't really supposed to parallel each other; you're just supposed to beat scores from the same mode. The other modes allow stacking for combos and let you time it for more "hot" blocks for more points. There's technically a solution for a mono track that would net a the highest score on its leaderboard, but you'd have to know which blocks to skip. I rather enjoy the music than play it like a puzzle game. 

Edit: Well, since it doesn't separate the modes, mono is at a disadvantage on the leaderboard. Mono is more casual though so anyone really concerned about the leaderboard is just going to learn to master the other modes.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By valrog
    @Devoid: @B0nd07: Yeah, but there's a Mono character available in every difficulty, and on Elite it's quite hard dodging every gray blocks.

I don't think scores are separated, but now that you guys mentioned it I will check again.

Edit: Nope, not separated.
    B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By B0nd07

@valrog: Oh yeah, sorry, haven't played it in a while. While they aren't separated with their own leader board, they do have little icons next to the score. And yeah, Mono is at a bit of a disadvantage, now that I think about it, but I suppose that's offset by how difficult the others are to master.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Saw this on the Audiosurf forums:  

If you open the "online stats" scoreboard for a song and click on a Mono character, you'll only see Mono scores.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By beej

@valrog: Yeah elite mono is hard, but the other elite modes are even more difficult. When I'm playing the game I'd like to be rewarded for engaging in somethings that's much more complex, it'd be silly if my time spent trying to set up a great combo was beaten by someone just nabbing every block that wasn't grey.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By valrog
    @beej: Your last sentence made me laugh. Thank you kind sir.

I see your point. Oh well, I guess I'll have to perfect my Mono rides since I really, really suck with other characters. Cheaters don't help, either.

@Origina1Penguin: Ah, this makes things better now. Thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.