Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Auto-Scrolling Levels

Concept »

Levels that progress forward by themselves at a fixed rate.

Does anyone actually like Auto-scrolling levels?

• 54 results
    TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

Poll Does anyone actually like Auto-scrolling levels? (165 votes)

No, I can't stand them 13%
    No, I don't like them 22%
    I wouldn't say I don't like them but they are the worst levels in any game with them 20%
    I sort of like them. I guess. 25%
    Other (please explain) 13%
    Results 7%

Forced Scrolling Levels suck. They're terribly paced levels which are nearly always too damn long in which you often have to stand around and wait for the screen to scroll rather than just running at full speed never stopping for nothing. I can't stand them. I can't abide by them. I will never replay a Forced Scrolling Level unless I simply can't help it.

Real quick, let me say that for the purposes of this topic I think Forced Scrolling is different from Forced Movement. So Minecart Levels aren't a part of this. If you could run instead of Minecart in a Minecart level if you were going at full speed the level would play out similarly, whereas in a Auto Scroller if you could just run full speed the level would be unrecognizable. I also might say that levels with slowly moving platforms are grey area since sometimes you can get significantly ahead of the platform by being good at the game. For this topic we're mostly talking about the terrible terrible auto scrolling levels like you'll see in Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island.

So what do you think? Does anyone like them at all? Even a little bit?

• 
    TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51  Edited By TheMasterDS

@freshbandito said:

@themasterds: You clearly don't want to hear that people have a different opinion to yours if you keep wanting evidence and proof to back their opinion that they don't mind auto scrollers.You also seem to constantly narrow the criteria to exclude a lot of what people are citing as fun auto scrollers after changing your terminology from 'Forced Scrolling' so that you can discount a bunch of the suggestions. Look up auto scroller and you will find included a lot if not all of the games that you've discounted.

I didn't change my definition, it's in the first post. I was asking about a specific set of levels I think of as auto-scrolling. I like Minecart levels and Rayman Chest levels. As I said in the first post I don't consider them the same thing at all because they are the exact opposite of each other in terms of pacing. If people have defined auto-scroller as a thing elsewhere than people are wrong. Auto scroller should refer to stages where the scrolling is automated such that it is independent of character movement, not where constant movement is enforced and the screen scrolls based on that (which you can tell if there are spots you can do a little bit faster or slower jumping up or down slopes in a Minecart stage or doing having a slightly better Rayman run and the camera follows you). In those games the screen is not scrolling automatically and therefore it can not possibly be an auto-scroller.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@themasterds: You again ignore all points to the contrary and scream at anyone with an opinion of enjoying auto scrollers claiming that everyone else but you is defining auto/forced scrolling the wrong way and that we should all adopt your practice of using it only to describe bad auto/forced scrolling. You're arguing your own view on semantics as gospel to shout down anyone who doesn't just agree with you.

If you want to argue that bad auto scrollers are bad? then congratulations you've discovered something we all knew. If you want to argue that only the bad examples are auto scrollers because any good examples, including ones that fit your ever diminishing criteria, don't count because you only mean those bad ones then your whole argument is shaky.

Just because you have a set criteria that you think of as being auto/forced scrollers doesn't mean you can just change the way people have used the term since it's inception. I'm not interested in carrying on a debate if what we're arguing over here is what you think should and should not be an auto scroller and to hell with what other people think.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By TheMasterDS

@freshbandito: Yes, I was trying to confirm that everyone thought those Mario 3, Mario World and Yoshi's Island levels are bad. That was my intent as clearly expressed in the first post for the purposes of this this poll. If you want to argue that you like super fast stages that don't allow you to stop that's cool but entirely unnecessary as I would tend to agree. I'm trying to get a read on super slow stages that don't allow you to go. Some people really love those 3 games (I think one is great, one is good, the third is middling), maybe they like those levels? Maybe some people play platformers at that rate by default and those levels just seem normal to them. I don't know. I can't know. Until I try asking. Do you like the auto scrolling levels in Mario 3, Mario World and Yoshi's Island?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#54  Edited By TobbRobb

So basically you are asking if I like bad scrolling levels? No I don't like bad levels... The VVVVV one is awesome though.

Anyone remember if Super Meat Boy had any scrollers? I wanna say no, but it has been a while.

BambamCZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@tobbrobb: Super Meat Boy has, I think all the boss stages are auto-scrolling.

On topic, I don't have any problems with them. Most recently the Bit Trip Runner games I've played were a lots of fun and those are 100% build of auto-scrolling levels.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#56  Edited By TobbRobb

@bambamcz: Oh yeah, the bosses totally scroll. I forgot since they usually have a another visual aside from just the end of the screen. "Sawblade, salt, etc." And you kinda move at a breakneck speed even in normal levels so the change isn't that noticable. XD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.