Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Avadon: The Black Fortress

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released 2011

In this Turn based Fantasy RPG you are a servant of Avadon: The Black Fortress.

Loving this, how about you guys?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Hey just picked up Avadon and I'm loving it. It feels like a great throwback to old school  rpgs but I do wish that it brought in some more modern advancements in terms of UI. Anyway just want to know if anyone else is enjoying this game.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I've never even heard of this.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AlexanderSheen
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    I've never even heard of this.
    Same here.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

I haven't played it yet but since it's more or less Avernum 1-3 I would've bought it already if I hadn't spent all my money on a new CPU and PSU. Guess it'll be the first game to benchmark that new card of mine. 

Also, for those who don't know, it's a turn-based fantasy game in an open-ended nature in an isometric perspective. Don't let the screenshots fool you, it's got great writing and mechanics in it. Or just try the demo, which'll be quite substantial anyway.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By onarum

I dig it, grabbed the demo on the official site to try out and played for like 2 hours straight, already bought on steam, downloading right now.

Interestingly enough the price directly from the developer is 20 bucks.. on steam is 9, weird, do you think someone at steam effed up?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Looks cool, I'll check it out.

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By countinhallways

I have been playing this game for the last few hours and can say with confidence that it is utterly fantastic. Spiderweb software make a shit-ton of RPGs like this one, although to be honest I have always found the art style very hard to get past. I am by no means a graphics whore, but some of the earlier games were just too fugly for me to bear. 

This one, this one looks fine. And plays more than fine. Great story (so far, and by all accounts the game is 30-40 hours long), fun battles with scope for customisation. This is genuinely the most a single-player game has sucked me in for a long time. 

@onarum: Also, no, not a fuck up. The developer has said that Valve recommended the lower price to increase impulse buys. Seems like a clever idea considering I, for one, wouldn't have given it a go at $20. Anyway, there is a demo available (although not on steam for some reason) which allows you to play a large chunk of the game. Plus, the saves from the demo can be continued in the full game purchased from steam. Bonus!

In closing: great game, worth a pop at the low price. Brilliant time for old-school indie RPGs right now...

Messier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Messier

I started playing last night and its a perfect successor to all the D&D "gold box" games that I loved playing as a kid. Definitely a value at $9. If you feel the need to uncover every square of every map like I do, you're going to be playing this for a while. Took me over an hour to clear the first dungeon.

I also bought Dungeons of Dredmor, but didn't get a chance to try it yet because Avadon took up my entire night.

iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

I'm d/ling it right now. I was already interested in it but after hearing a few people rave about it on here sealed the deal for me.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By MadBootsy

I'm really interested in it, seems like it has the qualities of awesome old RPG games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. Speaking of which!: Has anyone brought this game to Dave's attention? Seems like another perfect candidate for a Snide QL.

Xin42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Xin42

Just picked this up this morning...and it's almost 5pm, and I haven't gotten up yet. Excellent game so far, really reminds me of Baldur's Gate and NWN, with a Fallout 1/2 movement system. Love it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Picked it up. I've been interested for a while, but $9 is a lot easier to swallow than $20 as far as throwback RPGs with no real art design to speak of are concerned.

Avatar image for celegorm_menegroth
    celegorm_menegroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought it. Played it. Really wanted to like it.

I don't mind the out-of-date graphics so much ... but the UI, on the other-head? Ugh. Don't like that, at all. Lots of small buttons, with an intentionally dated look to them. I don't mind that they aren't working with a powerhouse engine ... but I do value a clean, clear and easy to use UI.

The world itself? The bland environment makes it difficult to know what you can/cannot interact with, and I ended up just walking around clicking on the "pick up" button a lot. The loot itself brought out my utter hated for "junk" loot. Sorry, but I really hate having to inspect stuff before I pick it all up just to see if it's even worth carrying around or not.

I also thought the text was a pain the read, given the combination of the font, shading and weird coloring on raised stone effect they were going for.

So, since I wasn't paying attention to the story ... and I thought the world was sorta ugly to look at ... and the UI was a pain ... I gave up. Not my cup of tea.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By VoshiNova

I was hoping someone would tell me it was good. Saw it on steam.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Scrawnto

@Xin42 said:

Just picked this up this morning...and it's almost 5pm, and I haven't gotten up yet. Excellent game so far, really reminds me of Baldur's Gate and NWN, with a Fallout 1/2 movement system. Love it.

You just sold me on this game.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By artgarcrunkle

Another good spiderweb game ruined by a horrifically tedious endgame :\

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.