psn plus or awesomenauts??

#1 Posted by BoFooQ (659 posts) -

So I was planning on getting awesomenauts after watching quick look, GB should ask for a kickback. However I noticed on PSN its free for plus members. So I can buy the game for $9.99 or 3 months plus for $17.99. Will I be playing awesomenauts for more than 3 months? will I play anything else free from psn plus? I'm not to excited about any new games till borderlands 2 and 3 months of random free stuff on psn could get me almost there.

Does anyone find good stuff on PSN plus?

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3509 posts) -

I don't have PSN+, but I have noticed that they haven been offering great deals/freebies for atleast the last 3 months, If I didn't already have a ridiculous backlog I would be all over it.

#3 Posted by JacDG (2114 posts) -

Get PSN+ there may not always be something for you, but the amount of free stuff is amazing. Last month you could get Shift 2 and Shank 2 for free, this month it's awesomenaunts and a bunch of more stuff, and it's overall an amazing service, great value for money.

#4 Posted by trindermon (38 posts) -

you only get access to the games so once you cancel they will be gone (as i understand it), that said... i dont know......

to me its a case of "do the devs get a good cut of the psn+ cash" or is it a loss leader to give them a chance at selling DLC - for me id choose whatever gets the most cash in the developers hands. usually i think thats a standard purchase.

#5 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

PSN+ is fantastic.

#6 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

Man I'd say go for psn plus. Hell even a year of it. It's honesty one of the best services I've had for gaming. They give you a TOOOON of free stuff including full retail games.

#7 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

You get Trine 2 for free this month too.

#8 Edited by churrific (475 posts) -
#9 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -

Get Plus. I doubt people will be playing Awesomenauts in 3 months and you can also try out Trine 2, Rock of Ages, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Castlevaia Chronicles and whatever else they offer. Also remember that whatever you buy as a Plus member you keep so when Rayman Origins becomes $15 for Plus members in May you can pick it up and keep it which you should because that game is amazing!

#10 Posted by TechHits (1367 posts) -

for the 7 extra dollars you will spend I would get ps+. Trine 2 is also free this week so yah.

#11 Posted by BoFooQ (659 posts) -

Great you all talked me into it. Now should I go with 3 months $17.99 or a year for $50. Its like $20 cheaper to just get full year.

#12 Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -

@BoFooQ: Just get the full year of PS+. That service is fantastic and you'll theoretically make your money back within two months due to all the free shit they cram down your throat.

#13 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

you won't regret the full year one bit. jump in!

#14 Posted by EXTomar (4496 posts) -

Playstation Plus as a marketing service is better than XBox Live. The amount of specials, freebies and, discounts you get for membership is fantastic where stuff like "Awesomenauts and Trine 2 for free right now??" are constantly popping up.

#15 Posted by mosespippy (4032 posts) -

@BoFooQ: The problem with a full year is that you'll get too many free games to play them all. I have a folder of about 20 unplayed games and my PS1 folder has about 12 that I haven't touched. I guess that's one of those good problems to have. Also, with so many games you'll fill up your cloud saves eventually. I hope they add more than just 150MB soon.

#16 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

I could of sworn PS plus users got Awesomenauts for free this month anyway?

#17 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

Also, with so many games you'll fill up your cloud saves eventually. I hope they add more than just 150MB soon.

Yeah, I recently had to clean out my cloud saves because it was getting pretty full. Although it was mostly Skyrim's fault. Those saves files are friggin huge.

#18 Edited by kpaadet (409 posts) -

It might be a little off topic, but does someone know or have a theory how Sony can convinced publishers to give their game away for free. I mean if they pay them for each downloaded game there is the no way PS+ can be profitble, right?

Anyway both PS+ and Awesomenauts are great so enjoy both op.

#19 Posted by Kidavenger (3509 posts) -

@kpaadet said:

It might be a little off topic but does someone know or have a theory how Sony can convinced publishers to give their game away for free. I mean if they pay them for each downloaded game is the no way PS+ can be profitble right?

Anyway both PS+ and Awesomenauts are great so enjoy both op.

The developer gets paid at a discounted rate per copy downloaded which probably totals more than what they would have received had they not participated in the offer.

#20 Posted by Vitor (2810 posts) -
#21 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

PS+ is my vote between the two choices. With all the stuff there, it'll be much more worthwhile than one game.

#22 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -

Think I am going to go with PSN+. Extra 8 bucks essentially for three months of PSN+ if you were already planning on purchasing Awesomenauts. Pretty perfect deal right there.

#23 Edited by MetalBaofu (1350 posts) -

I signed up for PS plus for the first time a couple days before I heard about Awesomenauts being free for members. I'd say look at the other stuff free for PS plus and decide. Trine 2 is free right now for members too. As well as a bunch of old Sega games(Comix Zone, Altered Beast, Sonic 1 and 2, etc.), and a few other games. And as others mentioned, Rock of Ages in a couple weeks. Then you also have whatever they put up in June and July.

I'd say the extra 8 bucks or so is totally worth going with PS plus instead of just buying the game.

#24 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

Just curious (don't have a ps3), is it true that you lose access to the free stuff when your ps+ expires?

#25 Posted by MetalBaofu (1350 posts) -

@jozzy: Yes. I think(not sure) you keep free themes/avatars, but you only have access to the free games as long as you are an active member.

#26 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -

cloud saves are worth the price of admission on PS plus.

#27 Posted by Silver-Streak (1338 posts) -

@jozzy:

Fully free games are only available to you while you have an active subscription. If you lapse and then resubscribe, you can download them again from your download list for free, even if they're no longer available through plus for free normally.

PSN+ discounted items you've bought, however, are yours to keep.

Considering that I've gotten a ton of 20%/30%/50% off deals on PSN games I wanted, Plus has saved me well more than the $50 I paid for it. I got on right when it launched, too, so I'm still good until like, August due to the 3 free months on top of the 12 I purchased, and then the extra 2 months they gave during the PSN attack. It's been exceedingly worth while.

People compare Live and PSN+ a lot, but they're really not even doing the same thing.

You get live because you like to be able to play multiplayer and have no other options. Or like using services you already have to pay for elsewhere on your 360.

You get PSN+ because you like games and want more options on obtaining them, whether as part of your subscription, discounted, or before their normal release date.

While I've only ever done it once, if you have the space, the full game trials through PSN+ are an interesting idea too. Especially for games that don't release a demo, you can pretty much play the full game for an hour.

As much as I love both of the systems, Live forces you to pay to use content that's included within the game(multiplayer). PSN+ just gives you more avenues to play games sooner/cheaper/etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.