Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Axiom Verge

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 31, 2015

A sidescrolling action-adventure that takes inspiration from Super Metroid and other "Metroidvania" games. The player controls Trace, a scientist who finds himself in a strange and hostile world.

Worst final boss I've seen in a while (potential SPOILERS)

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Wow does this guy suck. From what I can tell (and I've tried literally over two dozen times), his attacks are unavoidable, leaving the only option being to just take the damage and shoot. I get close to beating him, but I don't have enough health or damage upgrades to push him over the edge, meaning that he is completely unbeatable to me unless I go back and look for more upgrades, which is something I don't want to do.

I'm also on Hard difficulty which is probably a contributing factor, but this is the only game in recent memory that doesn't allow you to drop the difficulty down mid-game, so I'm stuck. It wouldn't be an issue if he had a pattern that could be learned and adapted, but he doesn't. You, or at least I, can't avoid him. I'm so frustrated. It is really ruining the game for me, which is ridiculous because it's the very last fight (I assume), but it's just that awful.

Has anyone else got there? Does anybody have any tips on how to avoid him? I tried to look up a guide on the locations for the health and damage upgrades, but apparently not a lot of people have gotten that far yet. There are no guides to speak of for this game.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

He's pretty bad. I wonder how you killed the sentinel, as I had to look up a guide for that one too, and even then it nearly killed me.

I was playing on medium, so I dunno if the solution I used worked, but what I did was basically (Spoilers and this is a video) this. I've seen people kill him with more success with guns I haven't found personnaly, so that might be your solution.

Good luck.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Sentinel is pretty easy once you figure out his pattern. I used the laser that shoots through objects and jumped over his bullets from the side. On my way up on the jump, I shot horizontally at his eye and jumped over his homing bullets, and I was able to fire again on the way down. Doing this, I was able to beat him almost without taking a hit.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally did it. I went and upgraded a bunch of stuff, found the flamethrower and just jumped up and hit him repeatedly while taking all the damage. It was close even with all the upgrades. What a crappy boss.

corporalgregg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used the flamethrower as well and never came close to dying. The flying orb things that shoot you dropped health every few that I killed just by virtue of hitting them while trying to hit the main target. I dunno, I thought the final boss was a cake walk compared to some of the others. That flamethrower is no joke.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He only dropped health every so often for me. It was completely random when it happened. It would get screwed a lot of the time because he wouldn't drop health. I got lucky on my one run where he dropped enough health for me to survive.

Either way, the design of the boss is seemingly just to brute force your way through the damage, and that's kind of crappy in my opinion.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figured out a super easy way to beat the final boss. I just stood in the rightmost corner, used the main weapon to shoot, and used Kilver whenever the spawns piled on top of me.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only way I was able to beat him on hard was using the spoon on button trick and mash the shit out of it

wsker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i also used the "trick" in the video linked above, after getting nowhere on my own. it's just such a deviation from all the other bossfights - except for the last non-optional one it was always finding a pattern, with dodging or attack order being more relevant than almost mindlessly blasting away standing in a corner.

i really enjoyed the game, and this last boss (or last section as a whole) doesn't change that, but it was a bit disappointing. other boss fights were tough and grindy also (that wasp!) but left me with a sense of accomplishment when i finally beat it. others made me feel smart for figuring out an easier way to beat them. the last boss didn't give me any of that - i looked it up because i just kept dying in the laser-stage. and the solutions i found were basically "stand in a corner and magically don't get hit that much or start a dps-race". just not what i expected from the last fight.

CapnThrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If you take the time to go hit any gaps im your map, your bound to find some items and nodes that make the last boss really easy. I did it out of frustration. Came back with like 4 health upgrades and 7 more weapons, and beat it first try. As mentioned above, the flamethrower absolutely destroys.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I just got to the final boss, and I've been banging my head against it for an hour. I didn't want to look up the solution because it felt like cheating, but I feel like I'll never beat this game if I don't. A couple of other bosses frustrated me, but there was always a trick I was missing. This is just awful. The entire end-game area is just fucking awful. That vertical climb with the disco-laser bots? The sentinel? Those uber-strong floating robots with machine gun lasers? It's not even hard in a fun way, it just feels like you have to luck your way through to the next save point.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I cheesed him by finding the safe spot. Just do that. Grapple up to the top right and fire to the left for a minute.

By the end of the game I was ready for it to end, and I thought the last couple bosses were frustratingly bad (which is a shame, because I thought the flying insect one was incredibly well-designed).

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I like this game a lot but the bosses in general weren't great.. And the final boss is terrible! I don't play the 'bad design' card often but honestly I think it applies here, there's just no way to avoid taking damage, sometimes you can duck under their shots and sometimes not, the orbs instantly track you if you dash through them so that doesn't work, and another orb spawns right away when you kill one so the only reason to bother is to get health drops. Crappy DPS race, and a big downer right at the end of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.