First Ep Of Telltale's Back To The Future Series Free With Blu-Ray Set

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The Back to the Future Blu-Ray trilogy has a videogame-related surprise. According to Joystiq, the movie set--which hits shelves on October 26--ships with an insert that guarantees owners a free copy of the first game (PC or Mac) in Telltale Games' five episode Back to the Future: The Game series. All one must do in order to get in on the deal is hit this special URL, enter in the non-unique code "121GIGAWATTS," and wait. The site, as of right now by the way, isn't accepting the code.

It's implied, but the first game won't be arriving the day these inserts get into peoples' hands. In fact, Telltale says that the insert offers nothing more than a registration for a free copy of the game. When the title is ready to ship--and mind you it's undated, though "Winter" is still the release window--the studio will notify those who have used the voucher that their free copy of the game is available.  

These codes aren't unique, so you don't need to buy the $49.99 collection to get a free copy of the game, but that move wouldn't make much sense anyway--it seems highly unlikely that this first game will break the 15-dollar barrier.  It will, however, probably break the time continuum. So there's that.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The Back to the Future Blu-Ray trilogy has a videogame-related surprise. According to Joystiq, the movie set--which hits shelves on October 26--ships with an insert that guarantees owners a free copy of the first game (PC or Mac) in Telltale Games' five episode Back to the Future: The Game series. All one must do in order to get in on the deal is hit this special URL, enter in the non-unique code "121GIGAWATTS," and wait. The site, as of right now by the way, isn't accepting the code.

It's implied, but the first game won't be arriving the day these inserts get into peoples' hands. In fact, Telltale says that the insert offers nothing more than a registration for a free copy of the game. When the title is ready to ship--and mind you it's undated, though "Winter" is still the release window--the studio will notify those who have used the voucher that their free copy of the game is available.  

These codes aren't unique, so you don't need to buy the $49.99 collection to get a free copy of the game, but that move wouldn't make much sense anyway--it seems highly unlikely that this first game will break the 15-dollar barrier.  It will, however, probably break the time continuum. So there's that.
#2 Posted by Ratfoot (199 posts) -

Cool just one more reason I'll be getting the set.

#3 Posted by jarorick01 (18 posts) -

Third. Closest I've ever been, and ever will be 

#4 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Great Scott 

#5 Posted by Notfontain (8 posts) -

Marty!

#6 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -

Non-unique codes FTW

#7 Posted by Lukeweizer (2638 posts) -

They found me, Marty. I don't know how, but they found me.

#8 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

More like WHACK to the Future.

I was prepared to pay real money for this game. I am confused.

#9 Posted by jmichniewicz@gmail.com (12 posts) -

If I had a Delorian i could go back and be first...

#10 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

I think people are getting their hopes up a bit too high.  It's a promotional image, they often have codes printed like that for promo pictures.  The way it looks printed leads me to believe there WILL be individual codes, the one in the picture is just a generic one for illustrative purposes.

It would be a bit silly to simply give the game to everyone (even just the first episode), especially as the Telltale games are always very high quality and absolutely worth spending money on.

#11 Posted by Jay_Ray (1075 posts) -

Great Scott!

#12 Posted by Legend (2657 posts) -
@Jay_Ray said:
" Great Scott! "
This.
#13 Posted by Jackel2072 (2248 posts) -

this is heavy

#14 Posted by Phoenix87 (477 posts) -

When this blu-ray hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious shit.

#15 Posted by Sammo21 (3250 posts) -

Man, on top of all the sweet bonus stuff...I really hope the BD transfer is top notch.  I watched  The Thing on BD yesterday and was impressed how decent it looked.  Must be because of  Craven's love of widescreen or something.

#16 Posted by RocketFacepalm (36 posts) -

He looks frozen today.

#17 Posted by cikame (987 posts) -

I'm confused... so am i buying the game or what?

#18 Posted by Silentium (20 posts) -

Can't wait to see what they have done with the game :)

#19 Posted by AWhiteSinner (3 posts) -
@cikame said:
" I'm confused... so am i buying the game or what? "
No, just wait until their website allows you to enter the code and then you'll have it for free.
#20 Edited by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Huh, so there's still gonna be some people who pay money for the game totally unaware of the free code.  Kind of weird that it's a code anyone can use.

#21 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -
@cikame said:
" I'm confused... so am i buying the game or what? "
Like I said, you probably need to buy the blu-ray to get a code, I doubt they will be multi use.
But if you do get a code, you put it into the website and get the first episode for free.  You'll have to buy the rest.

Telltale typicall release 5 episodes for each game, a month apart from each other.  I'd highly recommend checking them out, if you're into adventure games.
#22 Posted by Creamypies (4059 posts) -

I cannot fucking wait for this game.

#23 Posted by djames216 (369 posts) -

Assuming (and hoping) that the game is any good, I think this is a shrewd move on Telltale's part.  They know that gaming fans such as ourselves will somehow get hold of the code without buying the blueray set.  So I think they are giving the undecided "gaming public" a way to get hooked into buying the future episodes by giving this first one away.

#24 Edited by frostyxc (20 posts) -
@sammo21 said:

" Man, on top of all the sweet bonus stuff...I really hope the BD transfer is top notch.  I watched  The Thing on BD yesterday and was impressed how decent it looked.  Must be because of  Craven's love of widescreen or something. "

Someone should notify John Carpenter that he didn't actually make "The Thing"...
#25 Posted by Sammo21 (3250 posts) -
@frostyxc: lol, ass.  I knew that, just typoed.  Watched in the Mouth of Madness and Vampires yesterday to remind me how far he has fallen. :(
#26 Posted by Aeterna (1117 posts) -
@RocketFacepalm said:
" He looks frozen today. "
dude-yes.
#27 Posted by MjHealy (1837 posts) -

YES! I am really tempted to pick this up on Blu-Ray but I already own it on DVD twice. But more Back to the Future in sexy HD sounds like very tempting as my first Blu-Ray purchase.

#28 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

MARTY!

#29 Posted by President_Barackbar (3448 posts) -

Where we're going, we don't need roads!

#30 Posted by xombi242 (188 posts) -
@RocketFacepalm said:
" He looks frozen today. "
Great way to completely stall any conversation!
#31 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5253 posts) -

It's always been my density to own this on blu-ray at some point.

Now I just need a blu-ray player.

#32 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1477 posts) -

Damn!

Damn, damn!

#33 Posted by ExcessDan (18 posts) -

code should have been 121JIGAWATS

#34 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3780 posts) -

I wonder if this game will release on time...

#35 Posted by Kieran_ES (258 posts) -

Awesome?

#36 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -

The code works now, but you can only get the first episode of the series for free.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.