First Details On Telltale's Back To The Future Game Emerge

• 78 results
Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

The developers at Telltale are getting busy. Between the completion of the current season of Sam & Max : The Devil's Playhouse, the announcement of new episodic games currently in development, and the reveal of that bizarre teaser trailer--hinting at a partnership between Telltale, Valve and Hothead--the little developer that does episodic adventure gaming right has a full docket of new projects ahead of them. And today, we got to hear the first concrete details about one of those projects: a new episodic adventure game series based on the classic film series, Back To The Future.

Over on USA Today's "Game Hunters" blog, Mike Snider revealed just a small taste of what we can expect from Telltale's latest. For starters, Telltale has secured the likenesses of both Michael J. Fox and Christopher LLoyd for their iconic roles as Marty McFly and Doc Brown. Furthermore, according to Snider, Christopher Lloyd will be reprising the role of Doc Brown for the game.

We have to stop Doc Brown before he builds his freeway straight through ToonTown!

Beyond the revelations about the core characters returning in game form, Telltale told Snider that many of the film's classic locations and inventions will appear in the game. Expect to spend time in Hill Valley, California, driving, of course, a DeLorean time machine car vehicle transport. The most interesting thing Telltale revealed about the game is that it will take place in 1985, the same year as the first film. This is no "modern retelling" of the events of the original film, and I couldn't be more pleased. I can't wait to see the mid-'80s, and all of its fashions and trends, modeled in Telltale's exaggerated art style. I bet that could make portions of the game look bizarre.

And last, but certainly not least, Telltale told Snider that Bob Gale, the screenwriter of all three films in the franchise, is working with Telltale on the story and its arc over one season. Gale is a perfect fit for this project, as, unlike so many Hollywood screenwriters, he has video game experience. After all, Gale wrote the original story idea for Tattoo Assassins. And that game was rude

Doesn't that video make you feel good about a Back To The Future game?
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

The developers at Telltale are getting busy. Between the completion of the current season of Sam & Max : The Devil's Playhouse, the announcement of new episodic games currently in development, and the reveal of that bizarre teaser trailer--hinting at a partnership between Telltale, Valve and Hothead--the little developer that does episodic adventure gaming right has a full docket of new projects ahead of them. And today, we got to hear the first concrete details about one of those projects: a new episodic adventure game series based on the classic film series, Back To The Future.

Over on USA Today's "Game Hunters" blog, Mike Snider revealed just a small taste of what we can expect from Telltale's latest. For starters, Telltale has secured the likenesses of both Michael J. Fox and Christopher LLoyd for their iconic roles as Marty McFly and Doc Brown. Furthermore, according to Snider, Christopher Lloyd will be reprising the role of Doc Brown for the game.

We have to stop Doc Brown before he builds his freeway straight through ToonTown!

Beyond the revelations about the core characters returning in game form, Telltale told Snider that many of the film's classic locations and inventions will appear in the game. Expect to spend time in Hill Valley, California, driving, of course, a DeLorean time machine car vehicle transport. The most interesting thing Telltale revealed about the game is that it will take place in 1985, the same year as the first film. This is no "modern retelling" of the events of the original film, and I couldn't be more pleased. I can't wait to see the mid-'80s, and all of its fashions and trends, modeled in Telltale's exaggerated art style. I bet that could make portions of the game look bizarre.

And last, but certainly not least, Telltale told Snider that Bob Gale, the screenwriter of all three films in the franchise, is working with Telltale on the story and its arc over one season. Gale is a perfect fit for this project, as, unlike so many Hollywood screenwriters, he has video game experience. After all, Gale wrote the original story idea for Tattoo Assassins. And that game was rude

Doesn't that video make you feel good about a Back To The Future game?
#2 Edited by bellmont42 (325 posts) -

omg a game i'm looking forward to...

#3 Posted by CookieMonster (2448 posts) -

yessssssaaaaa

#4 Posted by Kindrik (71 posts) -

If this was anyone but Telltale I'd be worried.

#5 Posted by The_Philosopher (570 posts) -

If anyone can do it it's Telltale. I'm glad it's an adventure game. i could see a Back to the Future 3rd person action game being really bad.

#6 Posted by Deathpooky (1443 posts) -

They really should have gone all out and gotten the real Christopher Lloyd likeness instead of his zombie likeness.

#7 Posted by RaceKickfist (206 posts) -

oh man, thats so awesome!

#8 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -

I remember taking a super long survey about this game! I hope my answers were considered.  :P

#9 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Awesome.

#10 Posted by Buttonbasher (23 posts) -

Day one

#11 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -
@Kindrik said:
" If this was anyone but Telltale I'd be worried. "
#12 Posted by RampageAssassin (427 posts) -

I'm really looking forward to this !

#13 Posted by Milkman (17314 posts) -

I literally had to physically stop myself from squeeing while reading this article. FUCKINGCANTWAIT!

#14 Posted by Ghostiet (5318 posts) -

About stuff with Mr. Lloyd in, I'd like a Toonstruck sequel much better.

#15 Posted by DrBeardface (260 posts) -

Why the hell did I watch that entire video?  It was so bad, but I couldn't turn away...

#16 Posted by Zzzleepy (162 posts) -

Wonder if this will be done sort of like Day of the Tentacle, with the two characters in different timelines working to do stuff? That could be cool! Hope they get MJF on board as well, though I doubt it.

#17 Posted by Druminator (1687 posts) -

Drool.

#18 Posted by Mmmslash (2170 posts) -

There are no words to describe how pants-shittingly excited I am about this.

#19 Posted by TheJohn (552 posts) -

I love Telltale so much I'll probably buy this one just on principle

#20 Posted by VicRattlehead (1400 posts) -

telltale seem to do shit right when it comes to these games.... think ill be buying this when it comes out

#21 Posted by randiolo (1106 posts) -

great scot!

#22 Posted by CaptainFish (454 posts) -

I love the generic names in that tattoo game.

#23 Posted by DragonBloodthirsty (470 posts) -

Hmmmm.  I barely remember those movies, because they were a long time ago.

#24 Posted by TheVideoHustler (404 posts) -

I wish I had played Tattoo Assassin

#25 Posted by Spiritof (2092 posts) -

Has Tattoo Assassins ever shown itself at EVO?

#26 Posted by Mister_Snig (638 posts) -

If they can get Michael J Fox to play Marty McFly, I will flip. My. Shit.

#27 Posted by Inks (28 posts) -

sick music in that video

#28 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2443 posts) -

Please deliver. A BTTF adventure game has always been my dream for a movie adaptation. Ideally by Day of the Tentacle-era LucasArts, but Telltale will do (even though they have not lived up to the whole "successor to LucasArts" thing that everyone puts on them).

#29 Posted by Bones8677 (3276 posts) -

Yes...YES...YEEEESSSS

#30 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

4:00 

WATCH IT!!!!

#31 Posted by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -

God that video is so mind-destroyingly bad. I can't believe anyone actually made that game. It was like a train wreck in slow motion.

#32 Posted by Artemis_D (817 posts) -

All I saw was "Back to the Future" and "Telltale". Count me in.

#33 Posted by PlasmaMachine (251 posts) -

If this game gets a Metacritic review under 88, you're gonna see some serious shit.

#34 Posted by koolaid39 (255 posts) -

When this baby hits 88 mph!

#35 Posted by DiscoDuck8k (499 posts) -

Aren't they also supposed to be doing one for Jurassic Park? I can't recall.

#36 Posted by HeadNodShy (72 posts) -

Jesus, Doc Brown really let himself go

#37 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

Excitement GET!
I've only recently gotten into point-n-clicks, but Telltale does it so well I can't believe I've missed so many years of it.

#38 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

I'm lovin this, Tattoo Assassins be damned.
I think the characters here could use a bit more work. Marty McFly could look a bit less sharp n the Doc could look a bit less dead, but y'know.
Let's make like a tree n get outta here.

#39 Posted by Cybexx (1226 posts) -

Sounds good, I am very excited for this. Kind of wish they managed to get Micheal J Fox, he has done voice acting before of course, and apparently he did it for the Atlantis video game; I hope they are hiding a big announcement about that but I am not holding my breath.  

Getting  Christopher Lloyd is cool but his career has not been stellar as of late so I'm sure it wasn't very hard to get him, still cool that he is reprising his role. 

Now I am dying to know about the Jurassic Park game. So curious to know what it looks like and the tone they are going for.

#40 Posted by Jost1 (2078 posts) -
@PlasmaMachine said:
" If this game gets a Metacritic review under 88, you're gonna see some serious shit. "
hahahahahahahaa
#41 Posted by xthemusic (38 posts) -
@Ghostiet said:
" About stuff with Mr. Lloyd in, I'd like a Toonstruck sequel much better. "
Fuck. Yes.
#42 Posted by Sweep (8976 posts) -

That's pretty heavy...

Moderator Online
#43 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

This games framerate better be at 80fps or else!
#44 Posted by Inzzy (106 posts) -

Can not....look away...from video....S.O.S..

#45 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

hmm I have faith in telltale but I dont know about this game.

#46 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Oh hey that caricature artist down at Myrtle Beach got a gig at Telltale.

#47 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Christopher Lloyd will be reprising the role of Doc Brown for the game

the game will take place in 1985

Sold.
#48 Posted by Livebythesword (80 posts) -
@FunExplosions said:
" 4:00  WATCH IT!!!! "
I was thinking the same thing...
#49 Posted by Evilsbane (4738 posts) -

DUDE FUCK YES! AWWW Childhood fantasies of a Not Sucky Back to the future game is gonna come true thank god!!!!

#50 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6395 posts) -

Really, really stoked about this, and I particularly like the art style in that little image.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.