Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 21, 2000

Take hold of your destiny as you journey across mysterious lands, encounter many magical creatures and meet many memorable characters in a large fantasy world.

A Difficult Game

AEKtzis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AEKtzis

Even though this is one of my favorite RPGs ever, I found it to be really tough. The combat in certain situations seemed impossible and i had to lower the difficulty. Anyone have to do the same.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By skrutop

Part of the key is to have a well-balanced party and use all of them effectively.  I always took my time, using a stealthy character to sneak around and locate the enemy groups.  Once I found out where they were, I'd move my characters to just outside their range of sight, have my mages/clerics cast their buffs and then send area-of-effect spells into the enemy groups.  That softened them up enough to make them tolerable.  When the enemy came at me, I'd move my fighters to the front, while the archers and mages picked them off from afar.

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HitNRun

This game rules, I just played it again last year.

Yes, it's difficult. They key is to have as many fighters and fighter-types as possible. This is hard because there are so many mage and half-mage characters. But if you have too many casters, you'll get stuck when you get to parts of the game where virtually everything has Magic Resistance. Archers are fine too, but you need a solid front of phyiscal damage, which never goes out of style.

My first playthough with a Sorcerer was excruciating. Having my third best tank be Viconia didn't help, either.

Evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Evilross

You need a solid grasp on 2nd Edition AD&D to make the most out of your party.  A good mix of divine magic, arcane magic, melee and ranged weapon attacks will serve you well. 

Also, you must make use of your summons, minions, and pets. Disposable melee targets are a great asset to just about any combat situtation. For melee encounters, when you have to get a character into the thick of it, a Palidan / Cavalier class makes a great tank. They can use the hefty tower sheilds with the bonuses vs missile weapons that make them almost immune to archers and other natural ranged weapons. Add to that the ability to heal, smite, and the basic divine protection spells, and you can roll in on just about anything.

Furthermore, don't horde your pots, scrolls, and wands, use them as you need them. There are lots of stuff to found in the game, and they can turn the tide of a battle.

Anything that improves your saves is a must have item. Try to get as much gear as you can with saving bonuses. Choose equipment wisely when deciding who needs what when you come across powerful gear. 

And if you have Baldur's Gate 1, then play through it first. You'll get a much better understanding of the characters and how they fight and what they are capable of when you start them from low level. Also, you can import you main character, and you will be much more powerful due to permant stat increasing items you will have used in the first game. You'll probably also be a level or two higher then the default starting level of BG2.

Hope that helps. Enjoy playing one of the best games of all time!

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By skrutop
    Evilross said:
    "a Palidan / Cavalier class makes a great tank. They can use the hefty tower sheilds with the bonuses vs missile weapons that make them almost immune to archers and other natural ranged weapons. Add to that the ability to heal, smite, and the basic divine protection spells, and you can roll in on just about anything."
    I forgot about how overpowered the Paladin class is in BG2.  Not only do they get some great armor and basic cleric spells, they also can wield the +5 Holy Avenger.  Run around with that thing equipped and they'll slaughter anything.
    Evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Evilross
    skrutop said:
    "Evilross said:
    "a Palidan / Cavalier class makes a great tank. They can use the hefty tower sheilds with the bonuses vs missile weapons that make them almost immune to archers and other natural ranged weapons. Add to that the ability to heal, smite, and the basic divine protection spells, and you can roll in on just about anything."
    I forgot about how overpowered the Paladin class is in BG2.  Not only do they get some great armor and basic cleric spells, they also can wield the +5 Holy Avenger.  Run around with that thing equipped and they'll slaughter anything."

2nd Edition Paladin's are mean.

Get the right attributes rolled on them and they are nigh unstoppable. The Cavalier subclass is particulary usefull in BG2 because of all the bonuses. The only restriction they have is not being able to use missle weapons, but really, what pally is gonna be using a missle weapon anyway?
    xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By xymox

I can't do more than to agree with the title: A Difficult Game. 

Just started playing this game.
    Now, I've had my fair share of D&D, I know it to be ruthless and unforgiving. But this game asks me to be clairevoyant. Everyone in my party is dead. Well, Imoen ran off. 
    I'm in the first fucking dungeon. 
    I've stepped into this room and an alarm went of. That's cool and all. 
    But if I go back, a huge thing comes and kills me in like one hit. I'm a Kensai. Bad choise aparently. 
    If I go inside the room, one of 30 traps will destroy me instantly from full hp to 0. 
    I've decided to not play this game until I can start fresh and import my mage/thief from baldur's gate instead. 
    Because there is NO way in hell to play this game without someone who can deal with traps, at least from a role playing point of view. I don't like the idea of reloading a save game and then avoid the trap that killed me... Makes no sense that your character would suddenly run a completely different direction... Well, unless he's chaotic neutral :>
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hexpane
    Evilross said:
    "You need a solid grasp on 2nd Edition AD&D to make the most out of your party.  A good mix of divine magic, arcane magic, melee and ranged weapon attacks will serve you well. 

Also, you must make use of your summons, minions, and pets. Disposable melee targets are a great asset to just about any combat situtation. For melee encounters, when you have to get a character into the thick of it, a Palidan / Cavalier class makes a great tank. They can use the hefty tower sheilds with the bonuses vs missile weapons that make them almost immune to archers and other natural ranged weapons. Add to that the ability to heal, smite, and the basic divine protection spells, and you can roll in on just about anything.

Furthermore, don't horde your pots, scrolls, and wands, use them as you need them. There are lots of stuff to found in the game, and they can turn the tide of a battle.

Anything that improves your saves is a must have item. Try to get as much gear as you can with saving bonuses. Choose equipment wisely when deciding who needs what when you come across powerful gear. 

And if you have Baldur's Gate 1, then play through it first. You'll get a much better understanding of the characters and how they fight and what they are capable of when you start them from low level. Also, you can import you main character, and you will be much more powerful due to permant stat increasing items you will have used in the first game. You'll probably also be a level or two higher then the default starting level of BG2.

Hope that helps. Enjoy playing one of the best games of all time!"
    All fantastic advice.  I just started playing this game and I love it. I also love that it is hard.  I find early parts of quest easy, then as I get to the "bottom levels" or whatever, I get my ass kicked.

Turned out, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT 2nd ed D&D rules.  And they are confusing as fuck.

I was looking at my +1 plate mail and wondering why the stats sucked so bad.  0 AC?? SUCKAGE!!!!  So I tossed it on the ground and kept my much better "leather armor" on my Warrior.  The whole time I was wondering, "Why the fuck can I not find some decent platemail w/ good AC? Why is all the platemail CURSED?  WTF??"

Then I read that in 2nd ed  LOWER AC = better?  If that aint the most fucking confusing thing in the world for RPG videogame players then IDK what else is!!!!  I cant wait to get done from work and finally put platemail on my warrior, maybe then I will not get pounded so hard ROFL.

Also I did 3 points in DUAL WIELD, but your big shield tank idea makes sense to me (I come from Everquest background) where tanks are not damage dealers like they can be in WoW.  maybe I should restart?
    Spam101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Spam101

reading spell descriptions is key.

got to find the right counters. Guessing your trouble is with spellcasters

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.