Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baldur's Gate

Franchise »

Baldur's Gate is a fantasy-themed RPG utilizing the AD&D system from Dungeons and Dragons.

Baldur's Gate Coming to iPad? Yes, Please

• 121 results
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By the8bitNacho

This is a great idea. 9" is the perfect screen size for a game like Baldur's Gate, and its mouse-heavy control scheme will probably translate well. If they put virtual joysticks in this thing I will slap someone. No reason for it.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By Skald

I am totally into this (as long as the UI holds up).

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By stinky

@wonko33 said:

I'll say the same thing I said when I bought my Atari 2600: OMG I will never be bored again!!!

edit: And OMG Boo is on my iPad!

i promise mom, this will be the only thing i will ever want again.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Skald

@BenderUnit22 said:

With the exception of Neverwinter Nights, I never had the patience of finishing an AD&D-based game. Even though I enjoyed them immensely, the combat always felt so slow and you'd always have to rest to recharge your spells. Like, in BG2, it probably took me an in-game week to get out of the first dungeon. Plus, these games were so gigantic that I'd lose myself in sidequests until I lost track of everything. Too bad, because those game worlds were fascinating, especially Planescape.

I wish they'd remake Planescape Torment, but remove all the combat and just make it a sort of adventure game since the dialogue is what I really came to these games for.

Ditto. I love playing them, but I can never commit enough time to finishing them.

Porkellain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Porkellain

is there any way i can hope for this to come for my galaxy tab too? that might be the first (and only) game i'd allow in there!

leem101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By leem101

@AMyggen said:

First of all, I wouldn't really want a new Baldur's Gate from people needing Kickstarter funding to fund it. I seriously doubt they could get the investment needed for such a big project through Kickstarter (what Double Fine got isn't nearly enough).

i think a kickstarter for baldurs gate 3 would be an amazing idea, i reckon they'd be able to get the cash needed to make the game as well, hopefully someone picks up on this and markets the kickstarter well....

Stubee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Stubee

No Android? No sale

xxxlynchxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By xxxlynchxxx

I think this is a great place for these older games. I would love to see some of the Ultima games.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#59  Edited By Red

Looks good, but I'm actually playing through the original on my PC now for the first time, and it's pretty great, aside from the odd resolution I'm forced to play it at.

Mode7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Mode7

If I have to buy an iPad for this I will never live it down. I've been smugly looking down on people who own iPads since the first one rolled out.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By me3639

So throw aside my 27 inch monitor, 56 inch TV to play on a 9 in touch screen? Not for me.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By BaneFireLord

So now I have to buy an iPad, huh? I guess I'm okay with that. 
    EDIT: Cross-platform cloud saves, please!

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By llamaegg

I honestly can't lie, considering I'm on the fence for an iPad 3 as it is, this is probably enough to actually push me over to buy one. Baldurs Gate is a phenomenal game, and BG2 is still easily within my top 3 games of all time, so the ability to just sling around a light device and play it is freaking amazing.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Patman99

@llamaegg said:

I honestly can't lie, considering I'm on the fence for an iPad 3 as it is, this is probably enough to actually push me over to buy one. Baldurs Gate is a phenomenal game, and BG2 is still easily within my top 3 games of all time, so the ability to just sling around a light device and play it is freaking amazing.

Im kinda in the same position. Except I know that if I actually get an iPad, it will basically be a dedicated Baldur's Gate machine... must..... resist....

Avatar image for everydayodyssey
    EverydayOdyssey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#65  Edited By EverydayOdyssey

Sweet! Never played it, but always wanted to - never had a great PC and when it came out for Playstation I never made the purchase. I got an iPad 3 and have been playing a lot of Catan. Looking forward to this game stealing my attention.

clapperdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By clapperdude

@mobbus said:

It's probably more playable on the iPad.

More playable then with what? Like a mouse? I kinda doubt it heh.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MikkaQ

Hell yeah count me in, Baldur's Gate on the go is a sexy proposition.

Avatar image for beautifulspacecowboy
    BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I am looking forward to the enhanced edition in any format because I never played the original. The iPad sounds/looks like a good fit.

Throat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Throat

This is the same BG image as the Gamespot site.

Bahh...

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By llamaegg

@Patman99 said:

@llamaegg said:

Im kinda in the same position. Except I know that if I actually get an iPad, it will basically be a dedicated Baldur's Gate machine... must..... resist....

See, I've almost bought one just for gaming books. I mean, I own an e-reader for novels, but they don't work well for tabletop games like Pathfinder, Warhammer and so on, so if I can just bring a light device with me that will hold every book I'll need for gaming instead of multiple hardcover (I seriously bring 4 Pathfinder books with me to every session) then that in itself nearly makes it worth the price of admission.

And now with BG arriving on it, well, suddenly it's become much, much more tempting.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#71  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@EverydayOdyssey said:

Sweet! Never played it, but always wanted to - never had a great PC and when it came out for Playstation I never made the purchase.

The playstation version of Baldur's Gate was never released. A year or two ago, a private collector released the iso files from a version playable start to finish, and let me tell you: It's REALLY bad. There is a reason why it was canceled.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ichthy

I remember loving BG2 years back when I played it, but holy crap my patience has dwindled over the year with trying to deal with D&D rulesets. As someone that doesn't play the pen and paper game, trying to get into NWN2 recently was a gigantic pain. This game needs a huge pdf manual or something with it.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Zelyre

@EverydayOdyssey said:

Sweet! Never played it, but always wanted to - never had a great PC and when it came out for Playstation I never made the purchase. I got an iPad 3 and have been playing a lot of Catan. Looking forward to this game stealing my attention.

Dark Alliance was as much a Baldur's Gate game as Final Fantasy Dierge of Cerebus was a FF game. The PS2/XBox Baldur's Gate was a fun hack and slash loot romp. The PC Baldur's Gate was a more complicated Dragon Age Origins on the PC. The first game more so, as it could be brutally hard. If your main character died, it was game over even if the rest of your party was alive. Death for party members was permanent. Oh, and if you played a mage? You had 4 hit points. A single dagger hit could kill you. Even a warrior in plate and a shield could go down in a hit if luck was against you.

@llamaegg said:

@Patman99 said:

See, I've almost bought one just for gaming books. I mean, I own an e-reader for novels, but they don't work well for tabletop games like Pathfinder, Warhammer and so on, so if I can just bring a light device with me that will hold every book I'll need for gaming instead of multiple hardcover (I seriously bring 4 Pathfinder books with me to every session) then that in itself nearly makes it worth the price of admission.

As someone who owns numerous Android devices, a HP touchpad, and an iPad 2, for PDF content the iPad blows away all the Android and webos devices. Browsing large 40k, warmachine, sheet music, and college textbooks on the iPad is snappy. Scrolling is smooth, and you can literally just thumb through your PDFs as if it were a book. Not so on any of my Android devices. They constantly have to stop and cache every 3-5 pages. It's much easier to manage my files on Android, as I just drag and drop, but being able to swap out content is useless if I can't browse it in a satisfactory way.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#74  Edited By Claude

It would be cool if the Wii U gets remakes like this.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Skald

@ArbitraryWater said:

@EverydayOdyssey said:

Sweet! Never played it, but always wanted to - never had a great PC and when it came out for Playstation I never made the purchase.

The playstation version of Baldur's Gate was never released. A year or two ago, a private collector released the iso files from a version playable start to finish, and let me tell you: It's REALLY bad. There is a reason why it was canceled.

That probably shouldn't surprise anyone. Interesting historic oddity though.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#76  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Skald said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@EverydayOdyssey said:

I kinda want to see someone do a LP of it, for as superfluous as that would be. Every aspect, from the controls to the music (totally different) to the graphics are barely recognizable. Also it would have shipped on like 5 disks.

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By llamaegg

@Zelyre: I still remember the first time I played BG2 when I was a kid, I honest to god died on the first encounter in the second room. You had to be prepared for anything, and I loved it for it, too many games hold your hand, this never did.

And yeah, I have a buddy with in iPad 2 and bought it just for gaming books and he loves it for it, and with how gorgeous the iPad 3 screen is, well, it's hard to say no.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Skald

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Skald said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@EverydayOdyssey said:

I kinda want to see someone do a LP of it, for as superfluous as that would be. Every aspect, from the controls to the music (totally different) to the graphics are barely recognizable. Also it would have shipped on like 5 disks.

I'm actually so tempted to do that now. It sounds so terrible, and yet slightly compelling.

searinglight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By searinglight

I never really got into Isometric RPGs, mainly due to me finding them incredibly boring... I have to admit, however, that the possibilities for iPad-style interaction with this style of game is really quite appealing. If I ever end up getting a tablet, I have a feeling this will be a must-buy.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#80  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

not bad at all, just might get it.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#81  Edited By viking_funeral

I would love to see this work well, but I've learned to temper my reactions to these kind of announcements.

Cautiously optimistic.

CrazyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By CrazyNinja

@ckeats said:

I've been begging for this since I got my iPad. THANK THE HEAVENS ITS COMING.

PS: Neverwinter Nights 2 is only $0.99 on the Mac App store, if that's your thing.

Thanks for the tip on NWN 2, just picked it up. Probably won't be able to play it for awhile though unfortunately.

Rabbidrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Rabbidrat

Looking forward to ipad and pc versions!

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By PandaBear

Where's the usual "Whhhaaaaa no iPad stories on Giant Bomb!!!!!" posts? I love those ones.

Here's hoping my iPad 1 can run this ... but at the moment it can barely run Safari.

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Jumanji

Why would you play BG1 on a tablet if it means forgoing all the baller mods?

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#87  Edited By DG991

Glad I bought this iPad... so ready.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#88  Edited By kalmis

Will this be available from their on DD-store like MDK2 HD? Looking forward to the PC enhanced edition of this, as long as I can get it from the usual DD's

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#89  Edited By Danteveli

damn I will have to but crappy ipad now.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By beforet

And I just bought it on PC. Harmony.

Edit: That said, kinda cool seeing RPGs go to mobile platforms. With this and Chrono Trigger, I might just buy an ipad instead of the android tablet I was planning on.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#91  Edited By Marz
    Zace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Zace

Wow. First iPad game that actively makes me want an iPad.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#93  Edited By Giantstalker

Playing BG without any hotkeys... yeah, have fun with that.

hoechst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By hoechst
    TommyH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By TommyH

Amazing game, hope the port does it justice, wouldn't mind getting into this again. Might be hard going back to the old rulesystem though...

jasaldo_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By jasaldo_1

@duggshammer said:

Fuck! Now I have to buy an ipad.

My thoughts exactly! Unless they port it to vita as well...

Pikapichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Pikapichu

If this takes off, maybe Blizzard would consider porting Diablo 1 and 2 to the iPad as well. :D

dyong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By dyong

I'm kind of glad I don't feel the urges to buy new devices whenever someone decides to remake an old game on those platforms.

Fasckira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Fasckira

@believer258: It has been confirmed on the PC, the fact that its coming to the iPad as well is a new addition to the BG:EE news. :)

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Vexxan

If only I had an iPad nearby :<

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.