Bualder's Gate returning?

• 86 results
#1 Edited by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

http://www.baldursgate.com/

Apparently word got out, their servers have been effectively slashdotted.

#2 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

This could be good or very very bad. I hope it doesn't end up being some cynical cash in that shits all over what the original game was. e.g. Xcom, Syndicate, Fallout....

#3 Posted by believer258 (11665 posts) -

Baldur, not Baulder.

Yeah, I'll go get my grammar nazi cap now. Sue me.

Anyway, cool beans. As soon as I finish Dragon Age Origins and KOTOR, I might either be sick of or in love with Bioware RPG's. Whether I ever play Baldur's gate depends on which one.

#4 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

KOTOR is basically Baldurs Gate for babies. Play that over KOTOR imo.

#5 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

This showed up months ago and it was determined fake wasn't it? Or more or less a fan project?

I remember digging to see who had the IP and who owned the domain and found nothing to connect the two.

#6 Posted by owack6 (213 posts) -

I thought it was like ex bioware doing an HD remake or something like that.

Would love a less D&D version of the game never could get around the crazy combat system of games like this but the characters seemed outstanding.

#7 Posted by Twinsun (468 posts) -

@owack6: Yeah, had the same issue.

#8 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

I have no expectations after Dragon Age 2. This will either be a Diablo clone or another DA2-like action game with long talking sequences thrown in.

#9 Posted by FreakAche (2950 posts) -

@ShadowSkill11: It's EXTREMELY unlikely that BioWare will be making this game.

#10 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

I'm not sure I want them to...

@believer258 said:

Baldur, not Baulder.

It's 'Baldur, not Bualder', not 'Baldur, not Baulder'. Please get his incorrect spelling correct before you correct him on his incorrect spelling.

#11 Edited by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

iOS & Android version of the game, I betcha.

#12 Posted by artofwar420 (6258 posts) -

It's spelled Baldur's not Bualder's. It's even on the "link" you put.

Also, I bet 20 Brad bucks that it's a new game for the new iPad.

Also, it's spelled Baldur's.

#13 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@mandude said:

@believer258 said:

Baldur, not Baulder.

It's 'Baldur, not Bualder', not 'Baldur, not Baulder'. Please get his incorrect spelling correct before you correct him on his incorrect spelling.

Wait.. what? 
#14 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

f-f-f-f-Facebook

#15 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@mandude said:

@believer258 said:

Baldur, not Baulder.

Wait.. what?

He spelled the incorrect spelling incorrectly. Of course, I'm not serious.

#16 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

It's going to be a facebook game made by Zynga with an IOS tie-in.

#17 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@mandude said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@mandude said:

@believer258 said:

Baldur, not Baulder.

Wait.. what?

He spelled the incorrect spelling incorrectly. Of course, I'm not serious.

Ah! I didn't catch that since both of the wrong spellings of Baldur were too hard to watch :P 
#18 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@believer258 said:

As soon as I finish Dragon Age Origins and KOTOR, I might either be sick of or in love with Bioware RPG's. Whether I ever play Baldur's gate depends on which one.

Sadly Kotor, Jade Empire and DAO have sunk down to the bottom of my backlog, looking up to me in hatred. When the fuck am I gonna get around to playing them..
#19 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

A good western RPG can't make money anymore so I have basically zero hope for whatever this is.

#20 Posted by Patman99 (1558 posts) -

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

iOS & Android version of the game, I betcha.

Probably that or.... *shudder*.... a facebook game....

#21 Posted by Marz (5643 posts) -

it's gonna be an Ipad Remake.

#22 Posted by FreakAche (2950 posts) -

Why does everyone keep saying iOS? Is there something you guys know that I don't?

#23 Posted by falling_fast (2190 posts) -

someone posted this here about a week back.

anyways, not sure what to think. Maybe something will be announced come e3.

#24 Posted by Jayzilla (2555 posts) -

no thanks.

#25 Posted by believer258 (11665 posts) -

@mandude said:

@FreakAche said:

@believer258 said:

Baldur, not Baulder.

Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, than it's spelled B-A-L-D-U-R. And that's how I spelled it.

#26 Edited by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@owack6 said:

I thought it was like ex bioware doing an HD remake or something like that.

Would love a less D&D version of the game never could get around the crazy combat system of games like this but the characters seemed outstanding.

Crazy?

Do you have to be crazy to know what a 6d4 is?

Do you have to be crazy to know what an AC 10 is?

Do you have to be crazy to know why a guy with an Chaotic Evil alignment would never hang out with a guy whose alignment is Lawful Good?

If the answer is yes, then i must be crazy.

#27 Edited by believer258 (11665 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@believer258 said:

As soon as I finish Dragon Age Origins and KOTOR, I might either be sick of or in love with Bioware RPG's. Whether I ever play Baldur's gate depends on which one.

Sadly Kotor, Jade Empire and DAO have sunk down to the bottom of my backlog, looking up to me in hatred. When the fuck am I gonna get around to playing them..

Well, I have played DAO on Xbox for 20 hours. But I just found out today that it runs admirably on my laptop, which is awesome. So I'm not sure if I'm going to completely restart on PC or keep going through the 360 version that I've played on and off forever.

KOTOR, on the other hand, I picked up on Steam for $5, played it for two hours, and promptly forgot about it. I want to play it when I can sink a good amount of time into it.

Also, if you haven't played it yet do you already know the twist? Yeah, I do, and that makes me wonder if KOTOR's still worth it...

#28 Edited by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@mandude said:

@FreakAche said:

@believer258 said:

Baldur, not Baulder.

Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, than it's spelled B-A-L-D-U-R. And that's how I spelled it.

you're missing the joke, he's saying you misspelled the op's misspelling. It was pretty clever so I'm sad I explained it just now.

#29 Posted by llamaegg (216 posts) -

See, I only the other hand really hope they don't change the systems, or maybe just update the what version of D&D they're running, or better yet, change to Pathfinder. If they changed it to something like Dragon's Age 2, I will probably lose all hope in humanity, BG2 is still one of the best games I've ever played.

Be we all know it's going to be a FPS.

#30 Posted by believer258 (11665 posts) -

@ThatFrood said:

@believer258 said:

@mandude said:

@FreakAche said:

@believer258 said:

Baldur, not Baulder.

you're missing the joke, he's saying you misspelled the op's misspelling. It was pretty clever so I'm sad I explained it just now.

...well shit. I see it now.

#31 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

All I know is that I have some really, really fond memories of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II so I hope that whatever this is doesn't go and defecate all over them. Only 16 hours until we find out.

#32 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@mandude said:

@FreakAche said:

@believer258 said:

Baldur, not Baulder.

Yes, but you spelled "Baldur, not Bualder" incorrectly. You spelled it as "Baldur, not Baulder". Don't fret, however. It's a common mistake.

I'm totes being mega serious, right now.

#33 Posted by p00rdevil (158 posts) -

I never played either of the original Baldur's Gate games. I might be interested enough to check it out if they just re released the game with updated graphics. Suppose to be a classic RPG of some kind, amirite?

#34 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

Baldurs gate is hand painted. Graphics don't mean much. resolution and UI can be modded.

#35 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@damnable_fiend said:

It has a timer now, hence the repost and the renewed excitement. It didn't have one when it was first posted afaik.

#36 Posted by p00rdevil (158 posts) -

@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

Baldurs gate is hand painted. Graphics don't mean much. resolution and UI can be modded.

Hand painted? Does that mean it can't be redone to look like, say Diablo 3 ?

#37 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

This could be good or very very bad. I hope it doesn't end up being some cynical cash in that shits all over what the original game was. e.g. Xcom, Syndicate, Fallout....

I love when people dismiss things by calling them cynical without a hint of irony.

#38 Posted by falling_fast (2190 posts) -

@NickL said:

@damnable_fiend said:

It has a timer now, hence the repost and the renewed excitement. It didn't have one when it was first posted afaik.

huh. I hadn't noticed that, actually. thanks!

#39 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@believer258 said:

And yet you play ME3 as a ME hater instead...

#40 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

I want to be cynical and hateful too! It's just that, well, why would they have a countdown for a facebook game?

#41 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@p00rdevil said:

Hand painted? Does that mean it can't be redone to look like, say Diablo 3 ?

It can be whatever it wants to be. However with a game like Baldurs Gate, graphics age better due to the way they are produced.

Older 3d games with cube heads and low poly enviroments look like shit two or three years after release.

#42 Posted by lightsoda (540 posts) -

Agh, opened that page and thought the air horn was sounding at 5:30 in the morning...

Can't wait to see what'll happen when the time runs down.

#43 Posted by Draxyle (1795 posts) -

I really can't wait, BGII being my most favorite game of all time. If you looked at the meta data behind the site you would periodically see quotes from all the BG games, so whoever is in charge of this knows very well why Baldur's Gate is so great I would think. Sad to say that I'm glad that modern Bioware no longer own the rights to it.

iOS seems like the most likely option, since modding can already fix a lot of the problems with resolution. Though an official enhanced version would definitely not be unwelcome.

There's no way in heck this is another sequel. The guys in charge, I forget their names, I think they're way too small for something like this. I think they've only done HD and iOS ports before.

#44 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

Imagine the rage produced if this is brought back as first person Bethesda style game.

#45 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11486 posts) -

HD remake that cocks everything up by using 4th edition rules. You heard it here... first?

#46 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

I know this isn't it, but what are those Interplay guys doing? I'd love a Dark Alliance 3...

Anyway, those old BG games are on my list of "Games I haven't played, but respect a ton and really want to play but I don't even have time for the new games I want to play more so I probably never will"

#47 Posted by captain_clayman (3319 posts) -

but i liiiiiiiiike fallout

#48 Edited by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@p00rdevil:

u trollin lazy

#49 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

Also, I like that graphic, so I made an android wallpaper out of it:

#50 Posted by Rusputin (75 posts) -

@TooWalrus: lulz i'm totally using that

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.