Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baldur's Gate

Franchise »

Baldur's Gate is a fantasy-themed RPG utilizing the AD&D system from Dungeons and Dragons.

Should I play BG1 before I play Baldur's Gate 2?

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Tally_Pants

Seriously contemplating downloading BG2 from GOG.com after work today... but I haven't played any of the BG games. Should I play the first one first...or does it matter? I don't necessarily have the time to play through both games+expansions so if I could get away with playing just BG2+expansion that would be better. The games been around long enough that I'm sure people have input!
    Let me know, thanks!

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Vade

Yes and you should continue to BG2 with the same character. Install Tutu so you can use BG2 engine and new kits, etc.

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By The_Patriarch

It's not necessary, no. I still think you should though. 

If you're worried about how BG1 is holding up, you can actually mod both games A LOT, and make both games plus their expansions run as 1 game. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/cebua/step_by_step_moddingguide_turn_baldurs_gate_and

Here's an easy guide. It takes a while to do, but it's not very difficult at all.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    Baldur's Gate is easily moddable into widescreen, higher resolutions, and BG2 engine, so yes. If you find the exploration dragging a bit cheat yourself boots of speed. There are direct links in the story between the two games, so it's not really optional.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#5  Edited By Jazz

And that answered the same question for me. 
    Something to do next year once i've finished all the crap i've downloaded this past week 
    ergh my bank balance

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tally_Pants

Thanks for all the tips guys. I think I will get BG1+2 and prob going to mod BG1 for the upgrade. I was mostly concerned on how heavily the story carried over from 1 into 2. This will be my first PC based RPG...so I'll see how it goes!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.