Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baldur's Gate

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 21, 1998

Bioware's first RPG, you must assemble a party of adventurers and investigate the mystery of the iron crisis and a darker threat that looms in the city of Baldur's Gate.

More Details on Rad-Sounding Baldur’s Gate Update

• 112 results
    MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By MikeHawk

Baldur's Gate was a little before my time, but I really enjoyed the KOTOR games and Dragon Age. I'm glad that now I can get the chance to play the game that influenced them on my Nexus 7, no matter how inaccessible it is. 

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Efesell

I'm less stoked about this particular one since I already have TuTu and played it extensively..but it seems like all of this will lead to more Infinity Engine goodness down the line so I'm definitely picking it up in support.

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#53  Edited By boj4ngles

Anybody who hasn't played it yet will probably be disappointed. The game is dated as hell. I think people can still appreciate Torment, but I seriously doubt modern audiences will enjoy BG1 or 2.

Now if they did an entire 3D remake with controls similar to Dragon Age: Origins, now that would be a hit.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I have BG1 and 2 and on my newish PC, running W7. I've got high-res mods too. So... not trying to be an ass, but what do these versions really add? Two characters, a six-hour arena quest, and bug fixes?

It's cool they've added multiplayer but I'm not sure many BG players will care to use it. Maybe I'm wrong though.

What they should add is a super extensive integrated tutorial to hold your hand throughout the first couple hours. So many people are going to play this game and turn it off near-instantly.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Efesell

@boj4ngles said:

Anybody who hasn't played it yet will probably be disappointed. The game is dated as hell. I think people can still appreciate Torment, but I seriously doubt modern audiences will enjoy BG1 or 2.

Now if they did an entire 3D remake with controls similar to Dragon Age: Origins, now that would be a hit.

I think if you can get into Torment you can get into BG2. It's still very story focused and has a much better game built around it.

The original BG is probably a much harder sell though, I will admit.

@GERALTITUDE said:

What they should add is a super extensive integrated tutorial to hold your hand throughout the first couple hours. So many people are going to play this game and turn it off near-instantly.

From what I remember the starting area actually is a pretty damned good tutorial of almost everything you really need to do to play, and you really have to tell some of the NPCs to back off and stop helping you.

Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Chumm

IF by rad-sounding you mean sounds like the worst, then yes I agree. Microtransactions and arena stages for double the price, what could go wrong? As many have said, buy on GOG for 6 bucks, mod to your delight. And for fuck's sake don't play a 100 hour d20 game on a phone.

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By boj4ngles

@Efesell said:

@boj4ngles said:

I think if you can get into Torment you can get into BG2. It's still very story focused and has a much better game built around it.

The original BG is probably a much harder sell though, I will admit.

Maybe, but I actually think people might have a harder time playing BG2 if they never played BG1. BG2 does have a better story, but it develops slowly, it depends on loads of background lore that players aren't familiar with (and which is not easily accessible in-game), and does so through fairly mediocre written text. I just don't think players have the patience or the focus to get through it all.

The difference with Torment is that: A) Background information is introduced as it becomes important (which means players can ease into the story better), B) Unlike BG2, the setting is pretty unique and interesting in and of itself, C) Quality of writing is way better overall

Now I sense this could quickly degenerate into a Which is Better: BG or Torment? argument, (which I admit I do not have the stamina for right now) so I'll concede any last words to you good sir.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
    Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By Gladiator_Games

Wait.. I hope we get to make our chars ad that the "new ones" are npcs like Kahleed. Man, i hated him...

drjota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By drjota

Awesome,now if only Fallout and Planescape could get the same treatment...I'd break out the old CRT in memoriam.

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BitterAlmond

Just might have to buy this.

YapaPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By YapaPanda

I wonder if they will continue and do BG2 and result in something like the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mods but with more fixes and content? I would kickstart the shit out of that

Lorem_lpsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Lorem_lpsum

MDK2 HD was released exclusive on Beamdog last year and is just now coming to steam next week. I bet Baldur's Gate HD will be a Beamdog exclusive for six month - year and then come out on steam too.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#63  Edited By jakob187

@Ravenlight: It will more than likely just be a DRM-free copy through them on their own website, much the same way that Frictional handles Amnesia and Penumbra directly through themselves in a DRM-free version as well as Steam and such.

Personally, I don't understand how ANYONE could say they've rather get the Steam, GOG, or whatever else version compared to something DIRECTLY FROM THE DEVELOPER.

@Dagbiker said:

Oh, 6 hours of aditional gameplay? In a game with only 100 hours?

I cant wait to get this on sale for 9.99.

I'm REALLY hoping this is a joke...

As for the story, I'm fucking stoked. I've been playing through BG 1 & 2 as well as ID 1 & 2 again lately, so I'm ready to get going on the Enhanced Edition already.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#64  Edited By JBG4

I'm excited because I want to support something that I really enjoyed. I own the game and I do f'ing play it but I want this to be a success so hopefully they decide to support the franchise a bit more.

Ebu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By Ebu

This will probably sell me a new iPad.

vaulttec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By vaulttec

man i hope its not cancelled on android

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#67  Edited By Dagbiker

@jakob187 said:

@Ravenlight: It will more than likely just be a DRM-free copy through them on their own website, much the same way that Frictional handles Amnesia and Penumbra directly through themselves in a DRM-free version as well as Steam and such.

Personally, I don't understand how ANYONE could say they've rather get the Steam, GOG, or whatever else version compared to something DIRECTLY FROM THE DEVELOPER.

@Dagbiker said:

Oh, 6 hours of aditional gameplay? In a game with only 100 hours?

I cant wait to get this on sale for 9.99.

I'm REALLY hoping this is a joke...

As for the story, I'm fucking stoked. I've been playing through BG 1 & 2 as well as ID 1 & 2 again lately, so I'm ready to get going on the Enhanced Edition already.

I already own BG1 and 2 from gog. Why would I pay 20 dollars for a game I already own when all that comes with it is 6 more hours and 3 new charactures.

It was not a comment on the quality of the original BG. In fact, quite the opposite, i don't want to spend the money because I doubt anything they add would live up to the quality of the orignal.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#68  Edited By veektarius

I would only replay Baldur's Gate if it came with a whole new set of mechanics. The graphics aren't a big deal, but the light speed combat (when it wasn't paused) just frustrated me to no end. Not to mention the generally uninteresting nature of the melee side of the game.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By FunExplosions

Careful, man. This is a whole 'nother level of fantasy game. Hope you like no run button and permadeath.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By WarlordPayne

They better fix the combat and the pathfinding, both were abysmal in the original.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By kpaadet

@boj4ngles said:

I totally disagree, I think the Baldurs Gate games have aged fairly well (Im not to sure about Torment though), atleast if you know what you are going into. The way I see it, is its a much worse looking DA:O expect it have better voice acting (of the little there is), better music and a better story.

Psychohead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Psychohead

Glad to see this is happening, but I gotta be honest. I'd be much more excited to see BG2 get this treatment. Hope this does well and they roll through to that one next.

Jon Irenicus, son.

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By steveurkel

There was almost nothing more satisfying than taking that thick as fuck box home and installing 7 fuckin CDs. Oh god, it was such a long process and I just sat there biting my nails so excited - so god damn excited.

I fought some stuff, explored a city, went outside and got ABSOLUTELY BUTT FUC K RAPED BY CUNT BANDITS AND PISS DOG WOLVES IT WAS FUCKING BULLSHIT AND NOTHING HAS MADE ME MORE UPSET IN GAMING HISTORY I SWEAR TO GOD

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Jumanji

@ArbitraryWater said:

Ok. So basically they're adding what modders have accomplished over the past 15 years and then charging double. For that money, you could get both Baldur's Gate games and install mods that do the same thing. New characters are all well and good, but if they're more fleshed out than the relatively shallow characters of the first BG it's going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Right on, Sandro. For people who are actually into BG already, the value proposition of this "re-release" is even worse because you lose the ability to add all those brilliant mods!

I mean, forget Tutu and all that stuff, which is great. There are some AMAZING AI mods that turn the combat into something really incredible...

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By liako21

played and beat the BG2 but i have never touched the first one. should be nice.

iconboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#76  Edited By iconboy

In app purchases!?

WTF!? are you fucking kidding me!?

FFFUUUUUUUUUU

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#77  Edited By Tordah

I guess this is cool news for those unfortunate few who have never played the game. As for myself, I don't see any real reason to get excited for a game I already own.

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By boj4ngles

@kpaadet said:

@boj4ngles said:

I totally disagree, I think the Baldurs Gate games have aged fairly well (Im not to sure about Torment though), atleast if you know what you are going into. The way I see it, is its a much worse looking DA:O expect it have better voice acting (of the little there is), better music and a better story.

Well I've played through both BG's multiple times over the years and I'm not sure where you're coming from. There is almost zero voice acting in either game, most of the zones have ambient sounds in the background rather than music (though I admit that some of the main menu tracks are better than Dragon Age), and my own personal opinion is that the stories are not in any way exceptional. To say it is much worse looking than Dragon Age is an understatement. I don't really see how anyone could dispute that Torment has a better story simply because the quality of the writing is so much better than in BG.

I still think this whole package is a plan to get younger gamers to buy "classics" that they "need" to play. Problem is that games aren't like films, even the great ones don't usually age well. I predict most people will buy it, play one hour of it, and never pick it up again. BG1 in particular because that game requires a lot of old fashioned exploration that gamers won't be motivated to do it in the old ass infinity engine. After playing Skyrim, Dragon Age, Fable and other modern titles, they will not want to experience the pre-graphics card past.

Edit: I should have included in my initial thought on remaking BG that in addition to 3D it would need full voice acting and redone audio.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#79  Edited By dagas

@steveurkel said:

There was almost nothing more satisfying than taking that thick as fuck box home and installing 7 fuckin CDs. Oh god, it was such a long process and I just sat there biting my nails so excited - so god damn excited. I fought some stuff, explored a city, went outside and got ABSOLUTELY BUTT FUC K RAPED BY CUNT BANDITS AND PISS DOG WOLVES IT WAS FUCKING BULLSHIT AND NOTHING HAS MADE ME MORE UPSET IN GAMING HISTORY I SWEAR TO GOD

That is pretty much my experience with the game too. Going out of the first time means certain death. I'm hoping the enchanced edition will be better at teaching how to play or have an option for noobs like me. I love Dragon Age but the BG and IWD games are games are just too hard for me. And they take for granted that you know all the D&D rules. As someone who grew up with Final Fantasy rather than Dungeons and Dragons I can understand MP or mana and such. Just give me spells and a mana bar and I know what to do, but scrolls and spellbooks and having to sleep to use a spell again and whatnot. What kind of lazy wizard has to take a nap after every spell? common, that stuff should have a cooldown in seconds or minutes not having to sleep all night. Sorry if I offend D&D people who love BG and think I am a complete noob, but I just have never liked that system.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, $20.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#81  Edited By viking_funeral

I'll get this eventually, but I think I already own enough versions of this game.

Sarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Sarx

I still see no reason why this is better than BG1 + BGtutu mod. 20 bucks for an arena mode? no thanks.

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#83  Edited By benjo_t

@jakob187: I think the benefits of Steam are pretty obvious. People are committed to the service and like to have their games in one library, rather than spread all around various developer websites or separate launching clients. I understand that buying from the developers directly is a nice way of showing some support, but I think it's also understandable why someone would want to grab it on Steam. I don't think the developers would mind, either, considering they're putting it on those services to be bought.

GreatMadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By GreatMadness

What's with all the hate? "Urgh, looks like they're re-releasing one of the greatest games of all time for only 20 bucks. Arseholes." Seriously, sure you may have played it to death as I have, but better modding and modern OS compatibility combined with multiplayer that hopefully might actually work this time around? Count me in. Plus it's a great opportunity for the apparently huge number of people that didn't pick it up back in '98.

To summarise: I know you already bought the game a bunch of times and enjoy running your tutu patches, but stop being douchebags.

Stubee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Stubee

Its on android?

Dammit now I cant NOT but a nexus 7....

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#86  Edited By xymox

@Sarx said:

I still see no reason why this is better than BG1 + BGtutu mod. 20 bucks for an arena mode? no thanks.

Yea, starting to think the same. And whoever has a hold on them on the software side is ruining this whole thing. The sprites stand out like a wet puppy in the desert. And the areas just look like blurry backdrops, instead of interactive environments.

And this one only takes "features" from BG2 as opposed to BGTutu which brings the entire BG1 & 2 + expansions together as a seamless experience.

I think I'll pass, but I might check it out if it ever goes 75% on steam and the mod community embraces it to fix it since the developers seem to have their hands tied.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By AMyggen

@WarlordPayne said:

They better fix the combat and the pathfinding, both were abysmal in the original.

Pathfinding was fucking awful in both games, but I always thought the combat was okay in BG1. I absolutely love the combat in BG2 though, which might still be my favourite game of all time.

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By falling_fast

the part I'm looking forward to is actual working multiplayer. with the original Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II, I believe you have to unhook yr router to get multiplayer working, which is unacceptable.

also, here's hoping they put in the feature from bg2 where party members nudge each other aside, and the feature from throne of bhaal where the tab key highlights all the items you can pick up.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By cikame

As long as they've fixed the ai pathfinding stuff, moving your party in the first game was horrendous.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By falling_fast

I really like the painted levels from the infinity engine games. they're beautiful in a way that most modern games can't match.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#91  Edited By Jimbo

@doobie said:

@Jimbo said:

I kinda have a feeling that BG1 isn't going to be all that well received by people who are new to it. I played it for the first time in about a decade last year and there are significant parts of how that game operates that just wouldn't be accepted by a modern audience. It'll be interesting to see how far they go to adapt it to modern expectations.

don't under estimate the modern audience jimbo, im sure there are some as clever as you

Doubtful, but that isn't what I was getting at. I mean shit like how big a part luck potentially plays in combat for the first few hours. You can fight, lose, then reload and do everything exactly the same except you win because the dice fell better for you this time. It does gradually become less of an issue as the game goes on (because the numbers get bigger), but I don't think people have any patience for that kind of thing anymore.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#92  Edited By Chris2KLee

Looking forward to this, haven't played BG1 in years.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By probablytuna

I'm assuming this will have full screen support + 16:9 resolution support right? I bought the Baldur's Gate collection last year and couldn't stand the 800x600 visuals.

Smithers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Smithers

On one hand, this seems kinda lame given how cheap and moddable this game already is. On the other hand, if people can get into BG in 2012 because of this new release I'm ok with that. Maybe it leads to some bizarre Infinity Engine renaissance.

Avatar image for deactivated-57eb29307696e
    deactivated-57eb29307696e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Retrolicous

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#96  Edited By Undeadpool

Unless they've changed the ULTRA-clunky AD&D mechanics, there is going to be a MASSIVE nostalgia shock for a lot of people. Don't get me wrong, I play this game frequently and absolutely love the plot, characters and voice-acting, but oh my GOD, the systems could not be MORE antithetical to having a good time.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By kennybaese

Nice. I never played this either, but I've heard so much about it that it's definitely on my list. I'll be interested to see how the tablet versions of the game shake out.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#98  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Undeadpool said:

Unless they've changed the ULTRA-clunky AD&D mechanics, there is going to be a MASSIVE nostalgia shock for a lot of people. Don't get me wrong, I play this game frequently and absolutely love the plot, characters and voice-acting, but oh my GOD, the systems could not be MORE antithetical to having a good time.

2nd ed AD&D isn't that clunky. It's unintuitive and needlessly obtuse, yes, but it's no Das Schwarze Ague. Believe me, there are worse rulsets out there than one that uses the trick that smaller numbers are better and only humans can be paladins.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#99  Edited By Undeadpool

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Undeadpool said:

2nd ed AD&D isn't that clunky. It's unintuitive and needlessly obtuse, yes, but it's no Das Schwarze Ague. Believe me, there are worse rulsets out there than one that uses the trick that smaller numbers are better and only humans can be paladins.

It's not just that, I more mean the parts that work just fine in a tabletop setting, but are horrendously out of date in a videogame. Like having to rest to restore your spells and skills, or for that matter having a limited number of spells/skills as opposed to a mana/stamina pool so that you're basically just resting after almost every encounter, even in the middle of a dungeon.

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Laiv162560asse

Personally I never had much of a problem with resting to memorise spells, even as someone who never touched pen & paper RPGs. It just meant I had to use spells sparingly and not have my mage break out the big guns in scrub encounters. If my party was taking a hammering, if I needed to rest and was having trouble doing so, then I considered that just another facet of the game's difficulty. Most times, too, it was a sign that I was in an area that I was poorly equipped/skilled for. It also heightened the atmosphere of the towns, the sense of relief and comfort you got after moving from the wilds back into civilisation.

In fact I came to the BG series completely cold and soaked up the ruleset as if it was the most natural thing in the world. While I think this will struggle on touch devices due to the massive time investment and unforgiving difficulty, I have no 'nostalgia shock' going back to Baldur's Gate. Both games still fit me like a glove and look gorgeous - I just don't have the damn time to play them again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.