Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

Nuts & Bolts takes the platformer series in a wild new direction, as Banjo and Kazooie return to battle Gruntilda using unique, player-customized vehicles.

Bought the bolts...not as big a fan of the nuts..

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By SonicFire

Ok, so this isn't going to be another lengthy Blog post from me, because I have yet to do my Winter round-up of game views and opinions. I'm happy to say that I've made my rounds through the majority - though not the entirety - of the high profile fall releases, and once we get further into the new year, I'll finally have time to reflect. For now, this crosses of Gears 2, Fallout 3, Little Big Planet, Fable II, Dead Space, and Far Cry II. 

But after moving past these huge, high-profile games, I decided to pick up Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, solely on the recommendations of Brad and the rest of GB. Now that I've had a chance to finish it, I will say that it is time and money well-spent. I think the GOTY discussions on the Bombcast capture many of my sentiments in this regard: simply put, there is nothing quite like it out there. Yes, it is still indebted to the Mario 64 formula the way it always has been, but the vehicle mechanic takes an entirely new direction with the collect-a-thon. And yes, the game still is a collect-a-thon, though not in the way that some of the series' previous entries have been. Let's see, you have Jiggies, Notes, Jinjo Tokens, Mumbo Crates, and Cart Parts just to name the major items. But all this is to say that BK:NB is the closest thing we've come to digital legos. 

The challenges are unique, and the engineering/creativity involved is second to none. This is primarily because you can build some truly outlandish things if you want to. I know for one mission, I had to push a bunch of blocks out of a ring. To do this I simply made an enormous vehicle that consisted of a tall cage that was literally wider than said ring, and won it almost instantly. 

So from this aspect, the game truly excels. What I'm not so convinced of is the writing that Brad seems to gush over. I do think it's interesting how it is self-aware and sarcastic. But for the most part, the slight chuckle I may have had was overwhelmed by the relatively jejune nature of the dialogue. But still, Rare could have done a lot worse here, and the game (given it's low price) is certainly deserving of everyone's attention, if not their GOTY nominations.

Final verdict: listen to those GB editors, they seem to know what they're talking about. 
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SonicFire

Ok, so this isn't going to be another lengthy Blog post from me, because I have yet to do my Winter round-up of game views and opinions. I'm happy to say that I've made my rounds through the majority - though not the entirety - of the high profile fall releases, and once we get further into the new year, I'll finally have time to reflect. For now, this crosses of Gears 2, Fallout 3, Little Big Planet, Fable II, Dead Space, and Far Cry II. 

But after moving past these huge, high-profile games, I decided to pick up Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, solely on the recommendations of Brad and the rest of GB. Now that I've had a chance to finish it, I will say that it is time and money well-spent. I think the GOTY discussions on the Bombcast capture many of my sentiments in this regard: simply put, there is nothing quite like it out there. Yes, it is still indebted to the Mario 64 formula the way it always has been, but the vehicle mechanic takes an entirely new direction with the collect-a-thon. And yes, the game still is a collect-a-thon, though not in the way that some of the series' previous entries have been. Let's see, you have Jiggies, Notes, Jinjo Tokens, Mumbo Crates, and Cart Parts just to name the major items. But all this is to say that BK:NB is the closest thing we've come to digital legos. 

The challenges are unique, and the engineering/creativity involved is second to none. This is primarily because you can build some truly outlandish things if you want to. I know for one mission, I had to push a bunch of blocks out of a ring. To do this I simply made an enormous vehicle that consisted of a tall cage that was literally wider than said ring, and won it almost instantly. 

So from this aspect, the game truly excels. What I'm not so convinced of is the writing that Brad seems to gush over. I do think it's interesting how it is self-aware and sarcastic. But for the most part, the slight chuckle I may have had was overwhelmed by the relatively jejune nature of the dialogue. But still, Rare could have done a lot worse here, and the game (given it's low price) is certainly deserving of everyone's attention, if not their GOTY nominations.

Final verdict: listen to those GB editors, they seem to know what they're talking about. 
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, I will say that I haven't found the dialogue to be quite as hilarious as Brad's suggested, but overall I think it's been pretty decent. I've definitely enjoyed the game quite a bit, and I should get back to it so I can finish it up. Heh, I do think "digital legos" is a fair description. One thing I like is it seems instead of building a vehicle specifically for each mission, once you get pretty good with the vehicle creation tools you can often begin to create vehicles that will perform a variety of tasks and can be used in many different missions. In some cases, you might have to make a couple slight modifications, but that's no big deal and only takes a couple minutes.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By RHCPfan24

Title is a bit misleading but I think I now understand what you mean. Yeah, this game is awesome, and it is among my favorites of last year. GB does have their facts straight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.