Oh wow Banjo-Kazzooie Nuts & Bolts is...

#1 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -

This game is hilarious! I love the constant jabs at itself and the way the game has jokes for adults. For example, in the XLOD 720 level, the "Cliche Girl Gamer" says something along the lines of "Now bear can play at the level of manufactured gaming clan". Oh god, I LOL'd. 

Someone please tell me this game was a financial hit so there's a sequel.

#2 Posted by Somadude (549 posts) -

I never finished that game. I've tried 3 times now, but I can never get to the fifth world.

#3 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

The game didn't do that well actually.
Hoping they take Banjo back to the adventuring, its where he belongs!

That said, yes this game is freaking awesome with their references and jokes!
I recently replayed Banjo Tooie and some bits are just too funny.
I kinda miss such things in games nowadays!

#4 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

It cracks me up how an opening gag is running in a straight line to collect tokens and it's an actual game mechanic in the Super Mario Galaxy games.

#5 Posted by AlisterCat (5530 posts) -
@papuccino1:  it was a dramatic failure. They didn't sell anywhere near enough to break even, so no. Rare will likely never make another Banjo game... or maybe never a non-kinect based game again. Which sucks.
#6 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -
@AlisterCat: That completely and utterly sucks. Fuck! This game is too good and it's a shame they might not make another one. I guess the industry is content with creating the typical Call of Honor: Black Ops Americuh 2010 shooter where you play John Smith taking on the Afghan's/Rebels/Terrorist/Muslims and preventing 'terrism.
#7 Posted by Cincaid (2955 posts) -

I absolutly love nuts. And bolts.

But yeah, that game is truly amazing, really a shame it didn't sell better (around 700,000 worldwide I think).

#8 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -

I got it by buying the XBOX360 Arcade bundle that came with Viva Pinata. I especially love that you can spend notes to upgrade Banjo's speed etc. Does he change visually the more stats you buy?

#9 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I saved this from 4chan a long time ago because it pretty much sums up how I, and seemingly, many others, felt about Nuts and Bolts: 

#10 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -

Hahahaa, that's pretty much spot on. I wish it was more moves and less putting spikes on shit that feel like a chore to drive. Still, I like this game!

#11 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6296 posts) -
@HandsomeDead:  That picture is great, I felt the exact same way. I tried to get into it but I just couldn't. The writing was good, though.
#12 Posted by Brendan (7752 posts) -

I only played it at a friends house, but that game has an awesome vehicle creator and a writing.  Unfortunatly, the few actual missions I tried out weren't that great.  If I see it super cheap somewhere maybe I'll buy it.  Or maybe if every game ever made just came out on Steam that would be awesome.  Wait what were we talking about?
#13 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -

The problem was that most missions relied heavily on driving and getting to a place in a given amount of time.

#14 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:
" @papuccino1:  it was a dramatic failure. They didn't sell anywhere near enough to break even, so no. Rare will likely never make another Banjo game... or maybe never a non-kinect based game again. Which sucks. "
Ummmmmmmmm. 

I want to say that they teased a sequel a long time ago. Maybe that will end up being a Kinect game though. Or maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be Nuts and Bolts 2. Or maybe it's dissolved into nothing by now.
#15 Posted by CharleyTony (923 posts) -

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts is an okay game, and it is funny at times but making jokes about bad game design and then using that design in the actual game ? Wow, that might be funny at first , or maybe a little meta , but in the end, it made me stop playing the game. 
Stupid item collection ! 
You can't use that as the main way to progress in a game ! You make me finish a stage to get to the next AND THEN collecting item could unlock something else... 
Maybe better parts for vehicules in order to set better times on the leaderboards... NOT GETTING TO THE NEXT LEVEL !
#16 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

On a semi-related note, I just read this on the Wikipedia:

In the early 1990s, GamesMaster was one of Channel 4's biggest shows and was wanting to profile what went on inside Rare. However, Bad Influence, a rival show—aimed for a much younger audience—was also keen to film a piece on the company. In not wanting the hassle of having two separate TV crews come and visit, Rare's management came up with a plan. They would grant a filming request only to the Yorkshire Television production team that made Bad Influence, on the provision that the show would then provide Gamesmaster with selective clips of what they filmed. Further clips would also be used to cut together the aforementioned promotional VHS tape.

The plan, however, backfired, when Gamesmaster's producers took offense in losing out to a rival show. Dominik Diamond was always known as a provocateur and as such insisted in vocalising his irritation in the way the show had been shunned by describing Tim and Chris Stamper as the "Physically unattractive Stamper brothers" in his voice-over. Since the broadcast of this episode to an audience of three million viewers, Rare turned their back completely on the broadcast media.

Dominik Diamond is a fucking legend.
#17 Posted by Vao (328 posts) -

it was a good game, just felt like MS didn't have faith in the game, was put out at 40 dollars if i remember right, little to no marketing and set under the radar of most. its a great game, though i'll admit i still need to finish it. 

#18 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -

I thought Nuts 'n Bolts was great.

:(

#19 Posted by n11n12 (101 posts) -

Still one of my favorite games on the 360, and one of the few games I bought entirely because of other peoples' negative opinions. Seriously, most people bashed it simply for being different and original, and to me that's a strong point in its favor.

But it ain't perfect. It has a serious learning curve, it's very slow paced, and bogged down in pointless busy work. The missions are a bit simplistic and repetitive but since you're free to tackle them however you feel, that's a non-issue to me. Also, if you think the physics are bad, than you've no one to blame but yourself.
#20 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@Brendan said:
"Or maybe if every game ever made just came out on Steam that would be awesome.  Wait what were we talking about? "
If this was the case then I would permanently drop consoles and buy everything on Steam.

I buy everything I can on Steam atm.

Steam is such a great gaming platform.

*foams at the mouth* Did I mention I love Steam?

...and Nuts 'n' Bolts. That game was really great.
#21 Posted by ClaritySam (594 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" On a semi-related note, I just read this on the Wikipedia:

In the early 1990s, GamesMaster was one of Channel 4's biggest shows and was wanting to profile what went on inside Rare. However, Bad Influence, a rival show—aimed for a much younger audience—was also keen to film a piece on the company. In not wanting the hassle of having two separate TV crews come and visit, Rare's management came up with a plan. They would grant a filming request only to the Yorkshire Television production team that made Bad Influence, on the provision that the show would then provide Gamesmaster with selective clips of what they filmed. Further clips would also be used to cut together the aforementioned promotional VHS tape.

The plan, however, backfired, when Gamesmaster's producers took offense in losing out to a rival show. Dominik Diamond was always known as a provocateur and as such insisted in vocalising his irritation in the way the show had been shunned by describing Tim and Chris Stamper as the "Physically unattractive Stamper brothers" in his voice-over. Since the broadcast of this episode to an audience of three million viewers, Rare turned their back completely on the broadcast media.

Dominik Diamond is a fucking legend. "
Yes he is, I sometimes have this horrible nightmare where they replace him with Dexter Fletcher........
#22 Posted by Hailinel (24382 posts) -

I could tell you that the game was a huge financial success, but I'd be lying.  It tanked rather badly, and its performance probably has something to do with the fact that Rare has been doing little more than avatar and Kinect-related things for Microsoft for the past couple of years.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.