Barack - Most Popular character on Giant Bomb?

Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

No, not Baraka, but Barack Obama. We checked it out and it looks legit. I also noticed when I checked out the page that it had been vandalized (uncool dude). This also brings up the question of whether or not people should be attached to games simply because they show up in ads. My vote would be no, but I'll let the community fight this one out. What do you think? Should a dynamic ad in a game count as a reference in a game?

As an aside, check out Political Base, Whiskey Media's political site / blog. Before Jeff came over, most of us were working on that site. It's got some cool functionality like the ability to view how people in your area contribute to campaigns. For web geeks, you can also see how much our editing system has progressed since those days.
#1 Edited by snide (2413 posts) -

No, not Baraka, but Barack Obama. We checked it out and it looks legit. I also noticed when I checked out the page that it had been vandalized (uncool dude). This also brings up the question of whether or not people should be attached to games simply because they show up in ads. My vote would be no, but I'll let the community fight this one out. What do you think? Should a dynamic ad in a game count as a reference in a game?

As an aside, check out Political Base, Whiskey Media's political site / blog. Before Jeff came over, most of us were working on that site. It's got some cool functionality like the ability to view how people in your area contribute to campaigns. For web geeks, you can also see how much our editing system has progressed since those days.
#2 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Umm...i dont really care if he is in the "data base" pr anything. It does not really make much of a differect to me. But i do think its cool that he is having ad's in some games. Gettting people more polically aware and all.

#3 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

All I can say is that I agree 100% that a person/character shouldn't be attached to a game that features them as a ad...that's stretching the connection quite a bit, at least in my eyes.

#4 Posted by TheGamerGeek (2498 posts) -

I would say yea, they should. I mean, they're being featured in the game and can be considered a "character" in the game, so yeah, no doubt, I'd say yes.

#5 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

I agree. An ad should not count as an in-game appearance. I meant to raise that issue, but never ended up doing so.

I mean, he's not a character. He's just a picture on a billboard. He's not alive, you can't interact with him, he never speaks. I don't consider that an appearance.

#6 Posted by Oni (2098 posts) -

Yeah, I don't think a dude's picture on a billboard constitutes a character.

#7 Posted by Sweep (8844 posts) -

I clicked the Barack wiki page after seeing it was the most visited. I dont know if its directly relevant to computer games but i'd rather see people editing the Barack Obama page than adding screenshots to the Breast Bounce page. It adds a touch of class to the site I guess...

#8 Posted by Disgaeamad (1342 posts) -

Wasn't Barack included due to his appearance in that one politics simulator?

I'm not really sure about including characters in the database solely because they were featured in an in-game ad, mainly because they're not really related to the game itself.

#9 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
Disgaeamad said:
"Wasn't Barack included due to his appearance in that one politics simulator?

I'm not really sure about including characters in the database solely because they were featured in an in-game ad, mainly because they're not really related to the game itself."
Yeah, that's why he has a page, but people have also been adding him to games in which his image appears in an advertisement.
#10 Posted by Jeff (3486 posts) -

Agreed, he should be in here for his in-game appearance in whatever that political game was, but he shouldn't be attached to the EA games he advertised in.

Staff
#11 Posted by coonce (1429 posts) -

dude - politicalbase rocks! we need to get battles working on GB!

#12 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

Obama is in the database due to an appearance as a character in Stardock's Political Machine, but I wouldn't count appearances on ads as actual games he's been featured in.

And also, I find it dis... OOOH! I am off to edit the Breast Bounce page now! Thank you Sweep!

#13 Edited by banned8921 (1246 posts) -

Yes they should be if there on ads ssss 

#14 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

No, they shouldn't be in a game because of ads, but I can understand how Barack can be in it through his appearance in The Political Machine or a future game. Overall, though, I don't care much.

#15 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
coonce said:
"dude - politicalbase rocks! we need to get battles working on GB!"
Hell yeah! Then we can finally see who's more powerful, Barack Obama or Superman.
#16 Posted by Elijah (139 posts) -

I don't think ads are a good enough connection to be considered part of a game.

#17 Posted by Thordain (959 posts) -

I think Obama should only be connected by the political Machine game. In game advertising is a completely different from the games themselves. Unless they make an actual appearance as a character in a game, it shouldn't count.

#18 Edited by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -

Yeah, appearing in an advert in a game shouldn't count as an appearance, unless the advert has some sort of direct impact on the gameplay. If you could drive through the obama billboards on burnout paradise, I could see an argument for that being an appearance, but as it stands, its a no from me.

I checked out political base a short while ago, but I found nothing on international politics, it was all US based, and I didn't find any guidelines about if the site was US politics only, or if it was just that no-one had bothered to add international politicians yet, or that I was blind and they were there.

#19 Posted by breton (1437 posts) -

Considering they're dynamic ads, it's a definite no from me. Play the game a year from now, and you won't see him.

#20 Posted by Milkman (16657 posts) -

Definitely agree that he should not be attached to the EA games. Like I said in the other post on this forum, that's like adding a Gillette Fusion character page and attaching it to Burnout Paradise.

#21 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Barack Obama bought a billboard. He should not be credited for the game. He did nothing to develop for the game. Or publish it. Get him the hell out of here.

#22 Posted by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -
Jayge said:
"Barack Obama bought a billboard. He should not be credited for the game. He did nothing to develop for the game. Or publish it. Get him the hell out of here."
It's a character page not a person page, so it wouldn't be for developing or publishing, but for being in the game. It still shouldn't count though.
#23 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"Jayge said:
"Barack Obama bought a billboard. He should not be credited for the game. He did nothing to develop for the game. Or publish it. Get him the hell out of here."
It's a character page not a person page, so it wouldn't be for developing or publishing, but for being in the game. It still shouldn't count though."
Oh that. If it's a character page, it needs to be about the character. I couldn't tell from the way it was written that he was ever in a game at all. So either someone writes it up nicely to describe him in the game Political Machine, or...
#24 Posted by Aaron_G (1612 posts) -

No I don't think the page should be on the site. Even though I do support Barack Obama for president. 

#25 Posted by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -
Aaron_G said:
"No I don't think the page should be on the site. Even though I do support Barack Obama for president. "
He is a character in political machine, therefore he definitely deserves a page on the site.
#26 Posted by Sgt_T1bbs (116 posts) -

He should get an appearance credit for political machine but not because he was in an ad inside a game.

#27 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -

Oh god, a new community argument. What hath you wrought, Snide?

#28 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
Sgt_T1bbs said:
"He should get an appearance credit for political machine but not because he was in an ad inside a game."
I agree.
#29 Posted by AlexMarra (310 posts) -
snide said:
"Should a dynamic ad in a game count as a reference in a game?"
If Jeff Gerstmann can have his own page for having his name misspelled in the credits of Guitar Hero II, then yes, I believe someone can have their own page for an ad found in a game. I do, however, believe they should have their own category though, since they're not really video game "characters", but instead video game "references".
#30 Edited by pyromaniac (1703 posts) -

There should be a limit to the characters you can put on the site..I mean what is to stop someone from putting themselves down as a game "developer" and writing a big ass page . I guess super important figures like Mccain and Obama are okay but this situation warrants a close eye

#31 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

Although he deserves a page, anything that appears solely as part of a dynamic ad should not have a page.

#32 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -
#33 Posted by AttackedCamo (817 posts) -

I don't agree with the ad attachment. But he has been in a couple of political games for the PC.

#34 Posted by Tearhead (2161 posts) -
Kush said:
"All I can say is that I agree 100% that a person/character shouldn't be attached to a game that features them as a ad...that's stretching the connection quite a bit, at least in my eyes."
TheGamerGeek said:
"I would say yea, they should. I mean, they're being featured in the game and can be considered a "character" in the game, so yeah, no doubt, I'd say yes."
I agree with Kush; he was featured in an ad, he has no roll in the gameplay.  Just because someone being "featured" in an ad doesn't mean they should have a page. 
#35 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Nay, to allowing advertising connections.

#36 Posted by Giantkitty (808 posts) -

>No, not Baraka, but Barack Obama

lol, I'm imagining Barack(a) jumping on McCain and biting him in the neck. Wiggle your joystick John!

His political advertisements should be mentioned somewhere, they're "historically" important. At the very least on his own page.

Would this count as a cameo appearance? Or would ads be the exception to that? Or what if someone made an "in game advertisement" or "political ad" concept?

If he is allowed in, people should explain it in that text field. That way nobody thinks he's a playable character or anything (or just put in for lulz)

#37 Posted by Virago (2486 posts) -

<3 whiskey media.

I started as a comic viner back in the day, and man. the layouts, the updates, everything: i adore it all.
#38 Posted by XaiaX (110 posts) -

The thing I find most hilarious is the list of "Friends" and "Enemies".

Bill Clinton is #1 on both.
#39 Posted by GamespotNoMore (856 posts) -

I definitely think BARACK OBAMA is the most popular POLITICAL character on this great website BY FAR...as for CHARACTER pages for people that HAVE NOT BEEN FEATURED in a game (and are just in there for an IN-GAME AD) I say no...BUT you know, Barack Obama and the candidates in the 2008 USA election CAN STAY because there is a game with them FEATURED...POLITICAL MACHINE 2008

#40 Edited by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

I seriously read somewhere that Cole Train was made to be related to him somewhow, so why not let him stay? Change Baby WHOO!

#41 Posted by GamespotNoMore (856 posts) -

the only characters on this website that might be more popular are Solid Snake, Master Chief, or Mario

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.