Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Barack Obama

Character » appears in 28 games

The 44th President of the United States of America, Barack Obama appears in a surprising number of games, usually in a cameo or peripheral fashion.

Obama said he'd close Guantánamo Bay... today is the deadline!

Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Superchris129

I came across this news story today.

On his second full day in office, President Obama signed an executive order to close the prison within a year. Today, the date that the prison was to have been closed, the facility remains open.

While this doesn't surprise me (closing Gitmo is a tough thing to do), it does bug me how it was promises like this that got the man elected, and he hasn't fulfilled most of them. I mean, it's seeming more and more like George W. Bush and Barack Obama share the same goals: to Close Gitmo Eventually. What are your feelings?
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Oh, do politicians make promises to get into office nowadays? I had no idea.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Whoa, he's been in office a year already.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Phished0ne

wait.....a politician who cant get things done by his deadline?... 

NO WAY

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Snipzor

I thought the deadline was yesterday. Oh well, he already failed at this because of this. Where's the Price is Right losing horn when you need it?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By rjayb89

I wouldn't mind another Harold & Kumar movie filmed somewhere based on 'ol Gitmo.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Evilsbane

Just one more thing in a laundry list of unfulfilled promises.

Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Superchris129

So it seems like more and more people are moving from the "Obama is a godsend who's going to make massive changes and fix our country" side to the more sensible "He's a politician like any other- of coarse he's going to lie to get elected" side.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @Superchris129 said:
    " So it seems like more and more people are moving from the "Obama is a godsend who's going to make massive changes and fix our country" side to the more sensible "He's a politician like any other- of coarse he's going to lie to get elected" side. "
    I know i will never fall for it again thats for sure... I'm never voting ever again.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

I've been to Guantanamo Bay, that place is fucking hot as hell. The worst two weeks of my Navy life.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By TheHBK

Fuck those terrorists.  Let them rot in there some more. Fair trial my ass, they are combatants, not some kind of misguided criminal.  They take away other people's rights, they dont deserve the same.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @TheHBK said:
    " Fuck those terrorists.  Let them rot in there some more. Fair trial my ass, they are combatants, not some kind of misguided criminal.  They take away other people's rights, they dont deserve the same. "
    What happened to the presumption of innocence?  What happened to a fair trial?  What happened to evidence and the testing of it?   

When they are found guilty in a fair trial I have no sympathy for them but until then I remain open minded.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By TheHBK
    @oldschool said:
    " @TheHBK said:
    " Fuck those terrorists.  Let them rot in there some more. Fair trial my ass, they are combatants, not some kind of misguided criminal.  They take away other people's rights, they dont deserve the same. "
    What happened to the presumption of innocence?  What happened to a fair trial?  What happened to evidence and the testing of it?    When they are found guilty in a fair trial I have no sympathy for them but until then I remain open minded. "
    I understand that we want fairness, but in my mind, this is fair.  They would not be there if they had not been caught shooting at US soldiers or in those terrorist training camps.  A lot of people want to treat them as if they just shot a person in a robbery or that they stole a car.  Thats not how this works.  They took up arms against the United States, against other countries.  Not just one person or a small group, they are military combatants.  And so they are POWs.  Can you imagine how fucked up the Nuremberg trials would have been had they just been murder trials, and not war trials?  All those fools would have ran out on bail, said that they could not be kept locked up, and just ran off to Argentina.  Thats what these guys want so they can get off on technicalities, but there is no due process in war.  And thats what people need to realize.  Its not like someone accused them either, they were caught in the act.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By oldschool
    @TheHBK said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @TheHBK said:
    What happened to the presumption of innocence?  What happened to a fair trial?  What happened to evidence and the testing of it?    When they are found guilty in a fair trial I have no sympathy for them but until then I remain open minded. "
    I understand that we want fairness, but in my mind, this is fair.  They would not be there if they had not been caught shooting at US soldiers or in those terrorist training camps.  A lot of people want to treat them as if they just shot a person in a robbery or that they stole a car.  Thats not how this works.  They took up arms against the United States, against other countries.  Not just one person or a small group, they are military combatants.  And so they are POWs.  Can you imagine how fucked up the Nuremberg trials would have been had they just been murder trials, and not war trials?  All those fools would have ran out on bail, said that they could not be kept locked up, and just ran off to Argentina.  Thats what these guys want so they can get off on technicalities, but there is no due process in war.  And thats what people need to realize.  Its not like someone accused them either, they were caught in the act. "
    For purposes of discussion, don't assume I actually agree with what I say entirely, as I am not set in stone on this and am talking about principles. 

Those who shot at coalition forces were "defending" their country from an invasion.  That doesn't make them terrorists.  The government of Afghanistan prior to the invasion was a "legitimate" one and had the right to defend itself.  You can't hold them because the war isn't over as the concept of a War on Terror isn't even slightly real.  It is a never ending concept.  They invaded Afghanistan and now a new government is in charge.  If anything, those prisoners who are from Afghanistan should be handed to the Afghanistan government and dealt with them within their own system.  That could be a hell of a lot harsher than Gitmo, but so be it.  America only damages itself by the creation of and continuation of Gitmo.  If, however, they are 'terrorists" and have committed a terrorist act, then they should be given a trial and a fair one at that.  When you allow the state to change the rules you open the door to many abuses that will follow and it is totally against what the founding fathers would have forseen for their country. 
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Snipzor said:

" I thought the deadline was yesterday. Oh well, he already failed at this because of this. Where's the Price is Right losing horn when you need it? "

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho
    @WitchHunter_Z said:
    " Oh, do politicians make promises to get into office nowadays? I had no idea. "
    He made the promise after being elected. Signed the paperwork.
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By sopranosfan

The problem here is that nobody wants most of these prisoners.  Not us, not European governments, in most cases their home countries don't want them back either free or to deal with in their legal system.  The reason is you don't get sent to Gitmo for jaywalking because there are too many cheaper easier methods to deal with minor criminals.  The problem with a fair trial is also not as easy or noble as it seems because in our judicial system you are innocent until proven guilty and lets be honest O.J. got off because a glove didn't fit so how many of these prisoners do you honestly believe with a good lawyer would end up proven guilty.  Then even after the trial once again what happens?  Do you really want a prisoner from Gitmo moving next door to you well guess what most other people feel the same way.  War on Terror, Close Gitmo, No Child Left Behind, Free Health Care.  These are all great sound bites that politicians love to throw around but the reality usually isn't as glamorous as the soundbite seems.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Jimbo

Guantanamo Bay is unbecoming of the US.  It's embarassing.  Not just because of the rights of the detainess, but because the American public won't admit to themselves that when it came down to it, they chose Security over Justice & Liberty, just like everybody else.  So much for land of the free and home of the brave.  Rather than looking each other and the world in the eye and saying "These are our enemies, we will treat them as such", they chose to use some bullshit technicality to try and protect the illusion that Justice is more than just a US slogan - something that can't be discarded as soon as it becomes inconvenient.  Not so long ago it would have been unthinkable for Americans to try and justify holding anybody indefinitely without trial - that is the very antithesis of what America is supposed to stand for.

It's heartbreaking that when the American public finally woke up and remembered that they're supposed to stand for something more, elected a President to give them their country back, handed him a cast iron mandate to get things done; the guy they got elected turned out to be a world class choker.  I have never seen the US Presidency looking weaker than it does right now.  Sure, his recent predecessors are never going to be on Mt. Rushmore, but at least they looked like they were in charge.  Right now it looks like your President is no more than a glorified PR guy who talks a good fight in front of the cameras and then never delivers on any of it.  What's the point electing a President if he can't even achieve the major things he campaigned on?

Don't get the impression I think Britain has come out of the last decade looking any better, because I don't.  There are CCTV cameras on every street corner, we almost implemented compulsory ID cards, letting Europe tell us how to run our country - Europe! - it's tragic.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

If you haven't seen it, go see the movie Catch a Fire. Highly relevant. The subtitle should be 'aka how to create a terrorist out of fear for future terrorism".

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Gabriel

He realized it would be stupid to close it, it's a perfect place for them. I don't understand why people want to close down Guantanomo so bad, we would just have to spend more money to jail them here.  Now put them on trial to shut everyone up, and send them back.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I always though closing Guantanamo was a stupid idea. Guantanamo is a place. People aren't angry that we have a prison. Everyone has prisons. People are angry that we are abusing our power. Change the policy. Closing down Guantanamo is meaningless.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Snail

He's really busy with the Health Care issue right now, give him time. Besides, you can't really expect promises like that to be kept.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Feser

He still has two hours and 15 minutes.

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By r0k1ll

Why do I care? Right now, I'm blocking myself from politics, even though I'm american. Why does everyone hate obama? At leasts he's not Bush.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By StaticFalconar

This would not be a problem if he was King instead of President. Truly, then he would make good on his words if he could just say them, calp his hands and it gets done immediately.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By demontium

I love the responses to the topic 

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Every politician is exactly the same, they're all about grandiose ideas and making the country better until they get elected, and then they don't do shit except bitch about what the other team wants to do. This is why no one votes any more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.