I am teh greetest bass player evar."
what style do you play?
#4 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Endogene said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"WOOT!

I am teh greetest bass player evar."
what style do you play?"
I'd like to think that I have my own style, but after watching some of his videos, I'd most closely associate how I play to Larry Graham's stuff when he isn't slapping. But I still play widely differently than him.
#5 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

is larry graham ever not using slap in his music?

#6 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Endogene said:
"is larry graham ever not using slap in his music?
"
When he soloes, sometimes. It's rare. But, as I said, I've found my style to be pretty unique, and that's just a rough sketch.

Wha abou you?
#7 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -

I play bass :)

#8 Edited by Endogene (4741 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Endogene said:
"is larry graham ever not using slap in his music?
"
When he soloes, sometimes. It's rare. But, as I said, I've found my style to be pretty unique, and that's just a rough sketch.

Wha abou you?"
somewhat between blues and slow jazz.
i'm interested in trying some drum'n bass I havent really been able to find a drummer to back me up since i live way from the civilised world, but i intend to move in not to long so that part will be covered then.

Shawn said:
"I play bass :)"
welcome to the club
#9 Posted by Bonesofwar (262 posts) -

Ah, the simplicity and enjoyability of some good improvised jams between a bassist and a drummer. Without those whinny, distortion humping guitarists. Not that I don't like guitarists, I just haven't been able to really play extensively with a decent one.

#10 Posted by DeathStar (253 posts) -

I'm learning to play bass =]

#11 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
Bonesofwar said:
"Ah, the simplicity and enjoyability of some good improvised jams between a bassist and a drummer. Without those whinny, distortion humping guitarists. Not that I don't like guitarists, I just haven't been able to really play extensively with a decent one."
same here, most of them play guitar to be in the spotlight not to make good music
#12 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Endogene said:
"Bonesofwar said:
"Ah, the simplicity and enjoyability of some good improvised jams between a bassist and a drummer. Without those whinny, distortion humping guitarists. Not that I don't like guitarists, I just haven't been able to really play extensively with a decent one."
same here, most of them play guitar to be in the spotlight not to make good music"
Don't mind him, he just hates being stuck in the back while I take all the glory.
#13 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Endogene said:
"Bonesofwar said:
same here, most of them play guitar to be in the spotlight not to make good music"
Don't mind him, he just hates being stuck in the back while I take all the glory."
no its not that, its that guitar players often limit the potential of a bass player, and therefore the song in general
#14 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Endogene said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Endogene said:
"Bonesofwar said:
Don't mind him, he just hates being stuck in the back while I take all the glory."
no its not that, its that guitar players often limit the potential of a bass player, and therefore the song in general"
I know, but he's just upset at my bass hax when he can't play teh drums!

I'd like guitar more if all the people I played with didn't either suck or do the same thing over and over.
#15 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

yep guitar players really like their famous  chords, especially those who play acoustic
shame really that they limit themselves with those chords most of the time

#16 Posted by Kane (317 posts) -

i play a pretty shitty bass, not the bass itself, just my playing

#17 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

*raises hand*

#18 Posted by GalvanizedNails (552 posts) -

I would like to learn how. Mostly just to cover Muses' stuff :)

#19 Posted by Bonesofwar (262 posts) -

I play bass, er, bass drum.

....Ark is just mad that I can play teh 32nd note quadruplets, while he is stuck playing gimpy bass.

#20 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Bonesofwar said:
"I play bass, er, bass drum.

....Ark is just mad that I can play teh 32nd note quadruplets, while he is stuck playing gimpy bass."
O U R TEH BAWWWWLZ.
I can quadruplify too........with meh fingaz. No pix here.
#21 Posted by JonDavis (611 posts) -

Fairly ashamed to be here.

#22 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

I would notice this topic is very dead, however I play bass aswell, mostly slap.

#23 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2414 posts) -

One of these days Id like to pick it up,I occaisionly play acoustic.

#24 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

...Keytar is pretty rad...

#25 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6987 posts) -

Does plastic bass count?

#26 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
Endogene said:
"Other than me who here plays the base?"
bass. 

there was an almost identical thread not too long ago. 

So yea I play the bass. 
I've played in several bands. I even played in a jazz band for like 4 1/2 years. 
I have a lot of different styles I like to play. Anything from Victor Wooten to Billy Sheehan. Actually, you could say I fall in between them. I like to play fast melodic stuff, and lots of funky/groovy stuff too. 

So what kinds of Bass's do you guys own/play/like the most?

I love Ernie ball bassmans. like Flea from RHCP uses, that thing packs a punch dude. 
But i'm really into some of the top of line Yamaha's. Especially Billy Sheehans custom. They're so friggin easy to play, the neck is just the way i want it to be. here it is, i love this thing: Attitude
#27 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

I played bass for a little bit.  I quit playing when I realized that the only song I really enjoyed playing at all was Offspring's "Bad Habit".  lol

However, I've played guitar for about 12 years and did drums for about 4 years in high school (and no, not marching band drums).  Needless to say, though, I just haven't had any ambition to do anything but scream into a mic and homebrew my own recordings with buddies and family.
#28 Posted by Skillface (562 posts) -

I do play bass. I'm currently learning, been playing for around 10 months now.

I sort of grew tired of Guitar, which is where my interest in bass blossomed, and here I am!

#29 Posted by darksamus (12 posts) -

I also play bass, been playing for almost a year now :)

#30 Posted by Atlantus_Air (187 posts) -

Here I am.

#31 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -
@Atlantus_Air said:
" Here I am. "
you're a year late :P 
#32 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -
@Endogene: I thought the title said bass player nude, and yes I can
#33 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

I slap bass....ists

#34 Edited by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

Bass sounds cool, but most the time you can't here it... at least in the music I listen too, it's too loud and heavy lol.  But at the same time if it wasn't there you would totally notice and the song would sound like shit.  Bass is a weird instrument.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.