Amazing Bastion analysis

#1 Posted by LiquidSword (73 posts) -

Great analysis of Bastion. Just wanted to share it with the Giantbomb community.

#2 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

Yeah that was really good. I should pick up bastion sometime.

#3 Edited by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Reason why I love Giantbomb; it's one of the few places where positive criticism seems to be appreciated. People shouldn't need to feel that they need to rip apart a game for every one of it's failing just to hold an audience.

#4 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1573 posts) -

Hey guys, Bastion is really good!

#5 Posted by DeF (4903 posts) -

That was really cool. Makes me wanna experience the game for the first time again.

Online
#6 Posted by TheBlindChessman (241 posts) -

Great video about a great game.

To sum up; great.

#7 Posted by Vager (1654 posts) -

Subscribed to his channel yesterday. He has some very interesting intellectual opinions on games and the industry.

#8 Posted by Brendan (7817 posts) -

If I haven`t played Bastion yet should I not watch this

#9 Edited by Jeust (10680 posts) -

Awesome!

@Brendan said:

If I haven`t played Bastion yet should I not watch this

You shouldn't. it's spoils much of the story.

#10 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

The connection to the whole game being about a bad breakup is kind of shaky. I'd say the game revolves around loss and uncertainty, and having part of the narrative include elements of losing a girl reinforce that. But it certainly isn't the core conceit.

#11 Posted by Brockly46 (645 posts) -

@ThatFrood said:

The connection to the whole game being about a bad breakup is kind of shaky. I'd say the game revolves around loss and uncertainty, and having part of the narrative include elements of losing a girl reinforce that. But it certainly isn't the core conceit.

I agree it seemed like he was making his own connections to represent a bad break up.

#12 Posted by LiquidSword (73 posts) -

@ThatFrood: At the end of the video he says that that is just one reading of the game. Even if you don't agree, he makes the point that it's refreshing to have a game that can have multiple interpretations. I'm sure anyone can agree that it is great to be able to have an intelligent discussion on the hidden meanings and metaphors behind a game.

#13 Posted by TwoLines (2813 posts) -

Nah, he was digging kind of deep to get to that conclusion.

#14 Posted by Sign (292 posts) -

Excellent video. I think I might check out the Chrome version of the game just to give me another reason to play it again. Anyone else immediately go to youtube and listen to Zia's Theme after watching this video?

#15 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

@liquidsword said:

@ThatFrood: At the end of the video he says that that is just one reading of the game. Even if you don't agree, he makes the point that it's refreshing to have a game that can have multiple interpretations. I'm sure anyone can agree that it is great to be able to have an intelligent discussion on the hidden meanings and metaphors behind a game.

My thoughts exactly. That's one of the reasons I love Bastion so much. The story provides a good foundation for the lore, but allows the player to fill in and interpret the plot for themselves.

#16 Edited by Dtat (1623 posts) -

I didn't really like this guy's Half Life rant very much. I think he was a wee bit overly critical of some flaws that are found throughout the industry. Still, he's well-spoken, and this was a good video.

I think he's reading too much into the whole "relationship/break-up" angle.

#17 Posted by jackshan (17 posts) -

The bastion was designed to offer a full range on which to attack oncoming troops.Previous fortifications were of little use within a certain range.The bastion solved this problem.By using a cannon to cover the curtain side of the wall, the forward cannon could concentrate on oncoming targets.However if a bastion was successfully stormed it would provide the attackers with a stronghold from which to launch further attacks.

#18 Posted by ch3burashka (5088 posts) -

@Sign said:

Excellent video. I think I might check out the Chrome version of the game just to give me another reason to play it again. Anyone else immediately go to youtube and listen to Zia's Theme after watching this video?

Who wouldn't?

On a related note, if you like that kind of music, check out Anais Mitchell. I don't know much of her material, but "Why Do We Build The Wall" is pretty amazing.

On an even more related note, I first heard this track on Unoriginal Soundtracks, a podcast based on making soundtracks based on the video game material/narrative/themes. I highly recommend you check out the podcast and website.

http://www.cerebralpop.com/2011/01/unoriginal-soundtracks-podcast-space.html

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.