Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bastion

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 20, 2011

Bastion is a story about a Kid, his hammer, and a world gone all kinds of wrong.

Bastion Controls on the PC Version

BlueKranz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlueKranz

I've eagerly awaited the release of Bastion on the PC after watching all the preview material. It's hard not to be excited for such a great looking game! I took the opportunity to download the Steam Demo of Bastion for PC, and I have a concern about the possible control schemes. There doesn't seem to be a way to play this game using only the keyboard, rather than having to use a keyboard-mouse combo. Binding the attack keys to keys on the keyboard allows me to swing, but the direction in which I swing is aimed towards the location of the mouse, rather than where the Kid is facing. Is the only way to play this game to use a mouse?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invest in a wired Xbox 360 controller. It comes in handy quite a bit.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By mesklinite

@Keenblaze said:

Invest in a wired Xbox 360 controller. It comes in handy quite a bit.

Yup, this right here.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Dizzyhippos

The mouse/keyboard controlls are fine. It just takes  a little getting used to. Think beat hazard on the PC and you get the idea

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Is there not a cursor on screen for your mouse? If not, just get a gamepad for your PC, their cheap and totally worth it.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Thor_Molecules

The PC controls are excellent once you get used to it, almost too good, even. You have such direct control over your aiming that the game almost becomes too easy.

I just finished the game last night. It has been my personal GOTY so far!

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Liber

After playing both 360 and PC versions, all I can say is that Mouse-Keyboard controls are far more superior.

BlueKranz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BlueKranz

Pardon the pun, but I appreciate the input! :) 
    I certainly thought about trying out the Xbox controller, considering the game was first released on Xbox. I may just have to stomach using the mouse combo until I can grab an Xbox controller. As you may have guessed, playing on a laptop is the reason that using the mouse is so uncomfortable for me!

Additionally, I apologize for replying so late. I was not allowed to make more than 5 posts total per day. :)

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Wuddel

@BlueKranz: I am totally with you. I play with mouse & keyboard on a laptop. I just have to cram out my old wired PS3 controller. Or get a new one.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By BombKareshi

I haven't played much yet, but I find the mouse and keyboard controls quite comfortable.

Of course, if you're playing with a touchpad and not a mouse, that explains a lot.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By probablytuna

I've only played it using my PS3 controller right now and I think it's fine with it, might try using keyboard and mouse later to see how big the difference is.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By BulletproofMonk

The keyboard controls aren't super smooth, but they work well enough.

GregK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By GregK

Hey guys, we just released an update today that makes diagonal movement using the WASD controls adhere more closely to the isometric perspective. Details on our Steam forum. Thanks for your support, hope you're enjoying the game.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Subjugation

@BlueKranz said:

There doesn't seem to be a way to play this game using only the keyboard, rather than having to use a keyboard-mouse combo. Binding the attack keys to keys on the keyboard allows me to swing, but the direction in which I swing is aimed towards the location of the mouse, rather than where the Kid is facing. Is the only way to play this game to use a mouse?

@Dizzyhippos said:

The mouse/keyboard controlls are fine. It just takes a little getting used to. Think beat hazard on the PC and you get the idea

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Is there not a cursor on screen for your mouse? If not, just get a gamepad for your PC, their cheap and totally worth it.

Cleared that up for you two. No mouse.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous

@GregK said:

Hey guys, we just released an update today that makes diagonal movement using the WASD controls adhere more closely to the isometric perspective. Details on our Steam forum. Thanks for your support, hope you're enjoying the game.

Great to see you guys actively patching, Greg. These days it seems like the PC version is often overlooked and it'll only get a bugfix patch a few months after release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.