Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bastion

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 20, 2011

Bastion is a story about a Kid, his hammer, and a world gone all kinds of wrong.

Bastion: Greg Kasavin Blog

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Claude

Sorry to bombard the forums with my threads, but I thought this was an interesting read. 
    http://kasavin.blogspot.com/

It's Greg Kasavin's blog. There's a lot in his latest writeup about Bastion and thoughts behind it. And some thoughts about games themselves.

I've been following Bastion on Giant Bomb, of course, and it seems like a game I would play. Being a fan of Greg Kasavin doesn't hurt, I guess. Call me biased.

Pretty cool though.. enjoy the read.

Avatar image for michaelfossbakk
    michaelfossbakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By michaelfossbakk

Good read and thanks. I didn't know Greg had a blog.

MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By MrRedwine

Thanks for the link.

Greg's old blogs on GS, "Updated My Journal", were always outstanding reads. When Greg announced he was leaving GS to make games, I was really excited, but I haven't played any of the games he worked on so far because they didn't really appeal to me.

With Bastion, the team at Super Giant Games has done something that I think is going to be amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on this game next month.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By niamahai

did Greg ever said why he quit the Spec Ops dev team?

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jasta

In Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, which I think is a stunning and well crafted game overall, if you don't know how to sneak around as well as Nathan Drake knows how to sneak around, then there's a good chance you'll get flustered in one of the opening sequences. There's no explaining why Nathan Drake is suddenly incompetent in what should be a routine mission -- immersion is broken and you're reminded that you're just a poor schlub playing Uncharted 2 and failing at it.

That made me laugh. 

Cheers for posting this, mate.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

@Jasta: Thanks, it really is an interesting writeup into how Greg looks at games and his own game. I like what you quoted. Man, I can't count how many times I've failed at games. It's not the games fault, I just sucked at it. Haha.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

I just want Greg to review a game, any game for old times sake:)

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jasta
    @Claude said:

@Jasta: Thanks, it really is an interesting writeup into how Greg looks at games and his own game. I like what you quoted. Man, I can't count how many times I've failed at games. It's not the games fault, I just sucked at it. Haha.

I imagine games of a completely opposite nature could fall into this trap as well. Take Silent Hill for example, the characters you play are meant to be average Joe's, who have no combat experience whatsoever, yet because I've played so many similar games, I seem to have a lot more experience and know-how than the games protagonist is said to have. I no longer feel vulnerable to what the game throws at me, but frustrated because I know what is meant to be done and how to do it, the character just wont co-operate. Vinny was talking about something similar in a discussion about LA Noire a few Bombcasts ago. He was concerned that the players would be able to get too far ahead of the characters in-game, to the point where they know who the murderer is, and how to prove it, but just haven't been presented with the correct dialogue option to make it happen.

It's really not that big a problem, it doesn't ruin games by any means, but it's an interesting point Kasavin brought up nonetheless.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I love how Kasavin feels he owes the Industry after all those year reviewing games he just such an intelligent guy I really hope Bastion get the attention it deserves and they go onto bigger things.

Really interesting read, it's so tough to decide between the player and the player character and how much control to give the player.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.