Different Dialogue on New Game +?

#1 Posted by InertiaticESP (72 posts) -

I noticed as I begin NG+, some of the dialouge is altered to be more "Deja-vu" ish. Like in the first level when you enter the Tavern/Saloon, on playthrough 2, the narrator says something along the lines of "Wait, haven't I been here before?" 
 
Anyone else notice this/have confirmation?

#2 Posted by JeanLuc (3795 posts) -

Yup I noticed this too. Its pretty awesome that they put so much effort into the dialogue.

#3 Edited by CharlesAlanRatliff (5711 posts) -

Yep, this happened to me, as well. I'm not sure if they do anything past that sequence, though.

#4 Posted by Irvandus (3074 posts) -

Yep it's pretty cool.

#5 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (4218 posts) -
@InertiaticESP said:
I noticed as I begin NG+, some of the dialouge is altered to be more "Deja-vu" ish. Like in the first level when you enter the Tavern/Saloon, on playthrough 2, the narrator says something along the lines of "Wait, haven't I been here before?"  Anyone else notice this/have confirmation?
Also if you picked the ending where you go "back" and not "forward", the narrator says something at the end like "see you in the next one, kid".  When you begin a new game after that, the game opens with those same words echoed over a black screen before the game starts.  I took this to mean that no matter how many times you go backward, everything would just keep happening again.
#6 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1283 posts) -
@SpaceInsomniac said:
@InertiaticESP said:
I noticed as I begin NG+, some of the dialouge is altered to be more "Deja-vu" ish. Like in the first level when you enter the Tavern/Saloon, on playthrough 2, the narrator says something along the lines of "Wait, haven't I been here before?"  Anyone else notice this/have confirmation?
Also if you picked the ending where you go "back" and not "forward", the narrator says something at the end like "see you in the next one, kid".  When you begin a new game after that, the game opens with those same words echoed over a black screen before the game starts.  I took this to mean that no matter how many times you go backward, everything would just keep happening again.
He gave me the 'See you in the next one kid' line after I went 'forward' (nice way to put it btw)
#7 Posted by jjnen (680 posts) -
#8 Posted by InertiaticESP (72 posts) -
@Rappelsiini said:
This is awesome right here. Put a LOT of effort into it, clearly.
@SpaceInsomniac said:  

He gave me the 'See you in the next one kid' line after I went 'forward' (nice way to put it btw)
It's still really cool that the dialogue is different for NG+ based on which ending you completed first. A lot of possibilities. Who knows? There could be significant item location/gameplay differences in NG+ based on the ending you got in your first playthrough.
@InertiaticESP said:
I noticed as I begin NG+, some of the dialouge is altered to be more "Deja-vu" ish. Like in the first level when you enter the Tavern/Saloon, on playthrough 2, the narrator says something along the lines of "Wait, haven't I been here before?"  Anyone else notice this/have confirmation?
Also if you picked the ending where you go "back" and not "forward", the narrator says something at the end like "see you in the next one, kid".  When you begin a new game after that, the game opens with those same words echoed over a black screen before the game starts.  I took this to mean that no matter how many times you go backward, everything would just keep happening again.

 I agree with you. I suspect that the canon is that The Kid picks restoration, goes back, lives his life with the ability to save his mother, amongst other things. However, eventually the Calamity occurs again, the Kid goes through a second, more difficult Calamity using the skills/equipment he acquired during the first Calamity. This time, knowing that restoration will only delay the inevitable, he chooses to Evacuate. 
 
As for whether or not Zulf is saved, and whether or not the canon has him being saved in one playthrough and killed in the second, that's beyond me. The game doesn't really give enough clues. Perhaps as I play through NG+, i'll pay special attention to the dialogue to see if there are any indications. 
 
I'm almost 100% positive that canonically, the Kid chooses restoration first. The different dialogue on New Game + pretty much confirms it. 
#9 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5711 posts) -
@Rappelsiini said:
He said this to me on my first playthrough. It isn't referencing New Game Plus or anything.
#10 Posted by Sogeman (897 posts) -
@Vito_Raliffe said:
@Rappelsiini said:
He said this to me on my first playthrough. It isn't referencing New Game Plus or anything.
Yes, he means when you first met him and took him to the Bastion. I just walked and he said the same.
#11 Posted by iDarktread (1263 posts) -

I'm not done with my second playthrough quite yet, but I'm liking the little hints that are tossed in. Really cool.

#12 Posted by MEATBALL (3958 posts) -

I don't think it's worthwhile to get hung up on "canon", really.

#13 Posted by InertiaticESP (72 posts) -
@MEATBALL said:

I don't think it's worthwhile to get hung up on "canon", really.

it's just harmless speculation for the sake of fun.
#14 Posted by MEATBALL (3958 posts) -

@InertiaticESP said:

@MEATBALL said:

I don't think it's worthwhile to get hung up on "canon", really.

it's just harmless speculation for the sake of fun.

All good then, as long as you're not putting too much stock into what might or might not be canon. I do love the fact that it's a story well worth talking about.

#15 Posted by quadracer131 (34 posts) -

Can anyone help me remember the quote regarding the stars in  Bastion? Something about we always wondered what was up there, just couldn't reach...until now. It was something like this, and I'm to lazy to go fire the game back up. Thanks!

#16 Posted by Soapy86 (2674 posts) -

So did I play the ending wrong by leaving Zulf and evacuating? : / 

#17 Edited by hungrynun (461 posts) -
@Rappelsiini said:

#18 Posted by buft (3409 posts) -

the main difference i noticed is right at the start he says Here we go again or something like that

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.