Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bastion

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 20, 2011

Bastion is a story about a Kid, his hammer, and a world gone all kinds of wrong.

First impressions of Bastion. (PC version)

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

Edited By D_W

Like many of you I have been excited about Bastion ever since I first heard of it in the way back time of early 2010. After hearing how well the game was received on the 360, I could not pre-order it soon enough once it appeared on Steam. Well today was the day that Bastion was released on Steam.

1 pm rolled around and I downloaded/installed it as quickly as possible. Booted it up, played for about 2 hours, and wow... I'm really enjoying what I've played so far. The keyboard controls are not prefect. I found only being able move in 8 directions makes movement a bit unsuitable for the types of environments, but I have yet to encounter a real problem with it other then just general clumsiness. I'd imagine each control scheme has it own issues.

Currently, I'm running with the Repeater and Bow as my weapons as I didn't really enjoy any of the melee weapons I've found so far. Both are pretty satisfying, especially once they're leveled up a bit. It's get a bit hairy once if I get surrounded, but rolling is really useful. The story is also really interesting, and I don't think I'll ever get enough of Rucks' voice.

I can't wait to get back into it once the Bombcast is over!

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By D_W

Like many of you I have been excited about Bastion ever since I first heard of it in the way back time of early 2010. After hearing how well the game was received on the 360, I could not pre-order it soon enough once it appeared on Steam. Well today was the day that Bastion was released on Steam.

1 pm rolled around and I downloaded/installed it as quickly as possible. Booted it up, played for about 2 hours, and wow... I'm really enjoying what I've played so far. The keyboard controls are not prefect. I found only being able move in 8 directions makes movement a bit unsuitable for the types of environments, but I have yet to encounter a real problem with it other then just general clumsiness. I'd imagine each control scheme has it own issues.

Currently, I'm running with the Repeater and Bow as my weapons as I didn't really enjoy any of the melee weapons I've found so far. Both are pretty satisfying, especially once they're leveled up a bit. It's get a bit hairy once if I get surrounded, but rolling is really useful. The story is also really interesting, and I don't think I'll ever get enough of Rucks' voice.

I can't wait to get back into it once the Bombcast is over!

af7lm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By af7lm

Yeah I've been excited to play it as well after all the talk, and I agree 100% with you about the controls.  Feels a goofy using wasd, contemplating picking up an adaptor to use my 360 controller to play.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Rockanomics

@af7lm: I feel it's really important to have a 360 pad for PC gaming nowadays. I bought an extra wired controller when I got my console for that specific purpose and even though I don't even have a 360 anymore I still bought another wired pad to replace my dying one.

The game didn't blow me away with the demo, but it seems solid enough for 15 buck so I cut the demo short and bought it a couple minutes ago.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Vexxan

Just tried the demo, the controls feel a little awkward somehow but I've played the game a lot on the 360 so might just be that. Still recommending anyone who haven't bought it yet to buy it!

af7lm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By af7lm

why is it only a few dollars more to get a wired controller than to get the wireless adapter? Microsoft products upset me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Playing the demo with a 360 controller felt really good to me. Not my kind of game, and not in the mood to see it out right now I'll prolly pick it up in a sale at some point.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By alternate

Moving with the keyboard isn't great but aiming ranged weapons is better.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By D_W

@alternate: Yes, that seems to be the trade off.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Dude it's out? Fuck yes! This really looks like a game where the 360 controller is probably recommended.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By 49th

I figured they would let you use the mouse to look around and aim, that seems really dumb to be only WASD

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By OneManX

The moment I booted up Bastion, I plugged in my wired 360 Controller, and I'm pretty much good.

Really loving this game so far

softcoregamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By softcoregamer

I just tried it using a mouse and keyboard and I lasted about 2 minutes. Those controls are unacceptable as far as I am concerned. I am going to try to get my hands on an Xbox controller and hopefully that will be more enjoyable.

Philedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Philedius

Game is dope, yo.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

Bastion crazy good but I agree that a controller is the ideal way to play through it.

softcoregamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By softcoregamer

So, I finally got my hands on a controller and I love this game.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Buscemi

I played this without a controller and it blew my mind... how bad it wasn't.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.