I was really anticipating Bastion for pc...

• 57 results
#1 Posted by doe3879 (779 posts) -

bought it off steam the moment I get off work and got home, played it for like an hour and half

found myself falling asleep...

The game looks very interesting, is there something i'm not getting or is this simply not my type of game. I love melee combat games like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden. I was planning on Dual wielding melee combo. But all the melee weapons seem to only work when I'm standing still, which gave me a big WTF!!!. I can move around and attack with the Hammer but it just keeps on repeating the 1st few frame animation when I do that.

#2 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

I think you're focusing on the wrong thing here. While the combat in Bastion is pretty good, it's the storytelling and soundtrack that kept me absolutely hooked to it when I got it on the 360.

#3 Posted by AlisterCat (5480 posts) -

I think you got the wrong idea about the combat.

#4 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

Im not sure if it's a controls problem because I had no problem on the Xbox, but I recommend you give this game a chance I enjoyed it very much.

#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

It's more secret of mana, less ninja gaiden. Use that mentality and you'll enjoy it a lot more.

#6 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

Yeah it's really nothing like those games.

#7 Posted by louiedog (2333 posts) -

Is the demo not long enough to get a feel for the combat?

#8 Posted by Obsidian (346 posts) -

I think if the developers saw someone comparing Bastion to Ninja Gaiden, they would laugh their asses off.

#9 Edited by Irvandus (2808 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:

I think you got the wrong idea about the combat.

#10 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I haven't tried Bastion yet, but Bastion's meant to be an action-RPG, which makes it nothing like those two games you've mentioned.

#11 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

It's my understanding that the game is similar to games such as Deathspank. So maybe you misjudged it, give it another chance and try to play it from another perspective.

#12 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Seems like you expected a different kind of game. 
#13 Posted by Bravestar (380 posts) -

People who think of DMC when they see Bastion make me feel really old.

@louiedog said:

Is the demo not long enough to get a feel for the combat?
It is long enough.
#14 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Yeah, I don't know where you got the idea it would be anything like those games, but it's just the way the game is. The combat is enjoyable, but there is a lot more to the game than just the combat.

@Obsidian said:

I think if the developers saw someone comparing Bastion to Ninja Gaiden, they would laugh their asses off.

Pretty much what I was thinking, yeah.

#15 Posted by probablytuna (3532 posts) -

How are the controls for the PC version? I'm thinking of using a gamepad for Bastion.

#16 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

I was also put off by this game. I was turned off by the system which seems to have a heavy focus on the dodge rolls but playing on an area with holes in the ground everywhere and an odd camera angle. Falling off frustrated me and I wasnt really invested in the story or the narrative style. This game doesnt seem bad, I just dont think it for me either.

#17 Posted by dragonzord (811 posts) -

The game's incredibly dull and repeittive. It's a top down Dynasty Warriors with a roll button, which is why I find it funny that the GB guys praise it so much.

#18 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

I've been playing with the Hammer and Bow, I usually don't stop to use the hammer even though I'm aware it does more damage while standing still. It's more or less an alternative play style if I get tired of the bow during a mission because the bow is much more efficient. Either way, I'm really enjoying it a lot.

As for the controls, I didn't play long with a keyboard but they didn't seem bad, I switched to a gamepad early on and it seemed more natural, aiming isn't a big part of the game, and the stick is very valuable for more precise movement when it comes to the tight one square paths.

#19 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@zoner said:

The game's incredibly dull and repeittive. It's a top down Dynasty Warriors with a roll button, which is why I find it funny that the GB guys praise it so much.

I don't think you've actually played a Dynasty Warriors game.

#20 Posted by DharmaBum (1045 posts) -

@zoner said:

It's a top down Dynasty Warriors with a roll button

Give me a break, dude. Bastion's enemies actually provide a challenge in combat as opposed to just standing around the player in circle to give the illusion of a massive battle. If you're just button-mashing your way through the game I could see how it would be dull and repetitive. Try cranking up the difficulty and you should notice there's a satisfying rhythm to evading, blocking, and attacking.

Also, there are no characters named Pang Tong.

#21 Posted by President_Barackbar (3432 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@zoner said:

I KNOW he hasn't, because Dynasty Warriors HAS a roll button.

#22 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

seems pretty boring to me :/ I thought the narration was a nice aspect, but overrated. I just played the demo though

#23 Posted by DeanoXD (608 posts) -

i bought it at launch for the 360 and played for a couple three hours and haven't went back, i am not sure i can even put my finger one one particular thing about the game that hasn't worked for me but every time i think about firing it up again i go an do something else. it just doesn't seem that interesting to me and from all the coverage that GB did i was pumped for this game, heck maybe it was all the coverage that skewed my expectations.

#24 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Laketown: The narrator becomes more and more integral as you go on. People played up the "he's saying what you're doing!" thing too much. The primary usage of the narrator is to exposit events and the nature of the world around you. As it goes on, and you meet the other characters, this becomes incredibly engaging.

I have played this game twice in a short period, everything about it seems perfectly executed to me. I suppose the combat is take-it-or-leave-it, but the story and it's integration are absolutely phenomenal. It really goes as deep as you want it to.

For example, later on there is a point where the narrator is essentially trying to convince himself that you are doing the right thing. It's an internal struggle that probably wouldn't have occurred to the player unless there was somebody IN THE WORLD bringing up the issue at hand. Because the narrator is there alongside you hashing out this issue, you also have to come to terms with it.

#25 Posted by doe3879 (779 posts) -

I only mention DMC and Ninja Gaiden as game genre I enjoy playing, made no comparison to Bastion. I was simply shock at the way the game deals with melee combat.

I took a break after the 1st hour or so, now I have a better idea of what this game is and the fact that the range weapons ingame are great. I'm having a lot more fun with the combat.

Maybe I was just tire from work >.>

#26 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@nintendoeats: fine, but the gameplay was super boring to me anyway so I probably wouldn't enjoy playing it.

I'll get it when it's half off during the steam sale or something

#27 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Laketown: Yo, the story is seriously good enough. It's really good. Just gonna say.

#28 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -
@Laketown said:

seems pretty boring to me :/ I thought the narration was a nice aspect, but overrated. I just played the demo though

The narration gets really annoying the deeper you get into the game.
#29 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

@Laketown: Yo, the story is seriously good enough. It's really good. Just gonna say.

it's not like I'm doubting you, it's just that there's money restraints I have and I don't want to buy a game that I already know I don't like the gameplay and risk not finishing

#30 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I'm the total opposite, while I thought the game looked cool and the narration was awesome, I thought I wouldn't enjoy playing it.  I usually don't like isometric character-action games, but I just played the demo and that was extremely fun.  I really want the full game now.

#31 Posted by cinemandrew (711 posts) -

@akiz_jack said:

How are the controls for the PC version? I'm thinking of using a gamepad for Bastion.

From what I've played so far, gamepad might be the best option. It plays great on the 360, but I found myself a little frustrated with the 2 mouse/keyboard options for the PC. They do have gamepad support though.

#32 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -
@Laketown

@nintendoeats said:

it's not like I'm doubting you, it's just that there's money restraints I have and I don't want to buy a game that I already know I don't like the gameplay and risk not finishing

fair enoug. I wasn't going to get it for monetary reasons, but I was hearing too many good thing. I enjoyed the combat (especially one I got the scrap musket) so I guess it was a different calculation for me.
#33 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

I don't like the feel of the controls on the keyboard myself. I wish the game recognized my PS2 controller via USB adapter, but unfortunately it doesn't. I'll still play it because the game is just that good, but I really do wish I could play this on a controller.

#34 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

I can't fathom how you got the impression that Bastion's combat would be anything at all like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry.

#35 Edited by MrKlorox (11203 posts) -

What the hell is wrong with some of you? The combat is intense and challenging, especially with un-upgraded weapons. You just seem to be refusing to play it until it gets hard.

"ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz this tutorial is too easy. Fuck this game!"

#36 Posted by probablytuna (3532 posts) -

@cinemandrew: Cheers, I guess I'll be playing it with gamepad then.

#37 Posted by dragonzord (811 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@zoner said:

Check the achievements.

#38 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

Same exact thing happened to me.. It just doesn't click with everyone.

#39 Edited by Evilsbane (4528 posts) -

Ninja...Gaiden? Wtf would make you think this is Anything like DMC or NG? First off this game has an actual Story...

#40 Posted by MrKlorox (11203 posts) -
#41 Posted by MattClassic (422 posts) -

I don't understand how someone could be disappointed with a game purchase when there's a demo of said game readily available. Isn't that exactly what demos are for, getting a taste of the game to see if it's something you might want to pay for?

Question about Bastion: does the HUD in the full game accurately represent controls if they've been changed form the default setting? I'm on a gamepad (tried briefly with KB/M and didn't like the feel of it all) and used X and A as my primary and secondary attacks in the demo, but the HUD still said X and B. Seems like a strangely sloppy mistake when the rest of the visual design is so polished.

#42 Posted by OneManX (1680 posts) -

@MattClassic said:

I don't understand how someone could be disappointed with a game purchase when there's a demo of said game readily available. Isn't that exactly what demos are for, getting a taste of the game to see if it's something you might want to pay for? Question about Bastion: does the HUD in the full game accurately represent controls if they've been changed form the default setting? I'm on a gamepad (tried briefly with KB/M and didn't like the feel of it all) and used X and A as my primary and secondary attacks in the demo, but the HUD still said X and B. Seems like a strangely sloppy mistake when the rest of the visual design is so polished.

If you are using an wired 360 controller, then all you have to do is go Help and Options, Controls and on the side click the gamepad and it should change the UI to reflect the gamepad.

#43 Edited by MattClassic (422 posts) -
@OneManX: Ah, OK. Thanks. Why wouldn't they make it automatically do that?

EDIT: Actually, that didn't do anything :/ 

Game tells me to use X in the tutorial because that's what I have it mapped to, but the HUD still says B.
#44 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

I purchased it last night, and ended up playing it 6 hours straight until 3 in the morning. Such an amazing game.

It's a difficult though, but the combat really rewards player skill, and it's SO satisfying when you succeed.

For me Bastion vastly exceeded my expectations. Different strokes, I guess.

#45 Posted by Redbullet685 (6024 posts) -

I wasn't looking forward to it all that much, then decided to at least DL the trial on XBL.
I finished the trial and soon after bought it. It's now my favorite game of the year so far, and the best XBLA game that I've played.

#46 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

To update my earlier mention of the controls, I just beat the game and played the second half with mouse/keyboard. I have to say, I much preferred it to a controller once I realized there was a mouse centric control scheme. The music is gorgeous.

#47 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

@MrKlorox: Ah thanks for the heads up, I'll tinker around with that and see what's up.

#48 Posted by Brendan (7685 posts) -

I don't know how you got to DMC from seeing videos of Bastion's gameplay.

#49 Posted by Hailinel (23846 posts) -

@MattClassic said:

I don't understand how someone could be disappointed with a game purchase when there's a demo of said game readily available. Isn't that exactly what demos are for, getting a taste of the game to see if it's something you might want to pay for?

Demos aren't always the best way to judge a game. A lot of demos are poor because they either don't do a good enough job of highlighting what a game does well and why the game is great, or they strip out all of the elements in the game that are terrible, leaving you with a better impression than it really deserves.

#50 Posted by emem (1960 posts) -

@Buckfitches said:

I purchased it last night, and ended up playing it 6 hours straight until 3 in the morning. Such an amazing game.

It's a difficult though, but the combat really rewards player skill, and it's SO satisfying when you succeed.

For me Bastion vastly exceeded my expectations. Different strokes, I guess.

I feel exactly the same way about it. After watching all of the "Building the Bastion" episodes and trailers I was expecting a decent game, but nothing "special". Now that I've played Bastion for about 6 hours, without knowing how it'll turn out, it's already my most favourite game of the year so far. I honestly did not see that coming.. everything about this game is brilliant, i can't even put into words what I'm thinking/feeling.. if I had to describe Bastion in one word it would be "AHHHHHHHHH" with a gigantic smile on my face and tears in my eyes. :) I'm just so damn happy that there are still games out there that make me feel that way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.