Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bastion

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 20, 2011

Bastion is a story about a Kid, his hammer, and a world gone all kinds of wrong.

Is anyone here not enjoying this as much they thought they would.

• 80 results
    kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#51  Edited By kraznor

Yeah, feeling exactly the same. I think a lot of my issue is not really being in love with dungeon crawling in the first place, but pretty much every element, from the narrator to the visual style to the music is striking me as decent, but hardly exceptional. Maybe when I've beaten it my opinion will change but thus far, I agree.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#52  Edited By project343

Current year in review:
    - Portal 2
    - Bastion
    - Else

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By I_smell

I liked it at first, I thought it was alright. Then the weapon upgrades, the idols, and all the backstory opened up and I started really loving it. I'm totally into the world and collecting all the new weapons n tonics and whatever.

I enjoy the proving grounds and the arena challenges. I always feel like there's something cool I can't quite afford yet, and the other weapons would be cool if I would start usin em. I'm interested in what everyone has to say and I'm gonna be sad when I've ran out of dialogue.

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By FrankWeidner
    @project343 said:
    Current year in review: - Portal 2 - Bastion - Else
    Yup. Portal 2 and Bastion are currently fist-fighting in my brain over which I preferred.
    Avatar image for deactivated-63ce64d7ef40c
    deactivated-63ce64d7ef40c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having the opposite experience, and am enjoying it much more than I thought I would.

Can't wait for the soundtrack.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I loved it.

readymix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#57  Edited By readymix

I can definitely say it's much more enjoyable on new game plus with upgraded weapons. But it was a great game to begin with anyways.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#58  Edited By Sooperspy
    @GilbertMordinAndSullivan said:
    @project343 said:
    Current year in review: - Portal 2 - Bastion - Else
    Yup. Portal 2 and Bastion are currently fist-fighting in my brain over which I preferred.
    This. Bastion lasted me longer, but Portal 2 was really good.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By BBQBram

It seemed kind of generic at first (the gameplay, the production values are amazing). Then it really opened up and it just sucked me in; the weapons, spirits, challenges everything. I played it for 5 hours and am pretty much near the end (I think). Will probably finish it tonight.

Definitely a contender for my favorite XBLA game.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By thomasnash
    @Jonny7892 said:

@Cwaff said:

I don't always have the urge to play it, but when I do I can barely put it down. Absolutely love it.

My exact feelings on the game.

Yeah. It's not like some games where I think about it when I'm not playing, but when I do play it I find it really engaging. I wasn't that into it at first, but I like the style of it, so that kept me going to a point where the story got its hooks in me, I think.

I guess maybe I don't think about it because it's normally mechanically complex games that I think about a lot when I'm away from them - about how I'm going to spec my character or whatever - but that doesn't necessarily mean the games that do that are better I suppose
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I stopped playing about half way through (from what I hear). I definitely agree. It seems like an awesome game.. It just didn't click for me.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Rafaelfc

I had way more fun than I was expecting, I was never that excited from watching the building the bastion videos. But I had a blast with the game itself.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By JoeyRavn

I'm feeling the same way towards this game. I just don't find it entertaining at all. I think I'm halfway through, from the look of things, and I have to force myself to play it, but I don't think I've enjoyed any moment of the game so far. The weapon challenges can be extremely frustrating, the story has not caught my attention at all so far and I'm finding the narrator quite annoying the more I play. The art style is great, though. I'm not saying it's a bad game by any means, it just doesn't agree with me. If it didn't come with The Maw for free, I think I would have regretted buying this a lot. I let myself fall prey to the huge hype surrounding this game and, so far, it hasn't paid off for me.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#64  Edited By Twiggy199
    @Yorick said:

I was interested in it until I played the demo. I didn't really like anything about it except the art style.

100% agreed.
    Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Pudge

It's fun and everything, but I hate not being able to replay levels. Just a pet peeve of mine. It's not GOTY or anything like people keep saying. And NO WAY is it better than Portal 2 in any regard, or even close.

Also I got nauseous listening to the Bombcast after it came out where it was 20 min of them saying EVERYTHING was perfect, even if it got into joke territory. It's nice that their friend made a fun game but COME ON.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
    deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It didn't click for me right away but after finishing it, I wanted to get back in and after that, I loved every moment of it.
    It took a while but I found it alot more fun towards the end and in my second playthrough but I definitely can see how you feel.

One thing I could take away from it is that all the gameplay and design stuff is all pretty standard. I don't see how it one ups any of its contemporaries but its presentation seemed to carry it in many ways. It seemed like a typical action RPG with great direction and art style.

intelekshual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By intelekshual

Bastion is an excellent example of style over substance, which explains the hype but not the praise. I, personally, couldn't get into the game. I appreciate the art direction and the groovy narrator, but everything else just seems so... mediocre.

I think @VaddixBell makes a decent point in saying the game is carried by its presentation. The game fell short for me because there wasn't enough to sink my teeth into; presentation alone just doesn't do it for me.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
    Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68  Edited By Gladiator_Games
    @Cwaff: I see what you did there, and I made this for you sir!

No Caption Provided
    Oh, and about Bastion. Played the demo, didn't really like the feel of it. It's very cool looking, but the gameplay didn't grab me like I hoped it would.
    donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#69  Edited By donutfever

Loved it. Best combat of any game I've played this year, retail or not.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#70  Edited By Cwaff

@Gladiator_Games said:

@Cwaff: I see what you did there, and I made this for you sir!

No Caption Provided
    Oh, and about Bastion. Played the demo, didn't really like the feel of it. It's very cool looking, but the gameplay didn't grab me like I hoped it would.

Bravo sir!

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I genuinely think its one of the best games I've played in years. Absolutely stellar.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By jimi

At first I hated the combat, it felt sluggish and slow. But the further I got into the game the more I grew to love it and ended up enjoying it far more than I expected.

One of my top games this year.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By jozzy

I am actually one of those that wasn't a huge fan of the artstyle, but loved the basic oldschool gameplay. Totally S-ranked it within a week of getting it, couldn't put it down. Once I got some weapons that really clicked with me (Mortar and Flamethrower) it became hugely enjoyable.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#74  Edited By OneManX

For me, it's once I got into it and got through the first stages, and I had a bit more combat options, it started to click with me.

Def. my fav downloadable title this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

How well does the demo represent the game and how long is it in relation to the full game? I ask because it didn't fullly convince me to buy the full version.

GrandMarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By GrandMarshal

I liked it more than I thought I would

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Binman88

Haven't really touched it since the first few days of release on the PC. It didn't quite grab me the way I hoped it would. 

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ventilaator

Played a bunch more of Bastion and yeah. Bastion stops being a 5 star game as soon as the one playing it stops being a Giant Bomb user.

fluxbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#79  Edited By fluxbit

At first I was going to agree with the OP… but then I realized the problem, for me, was the keyboard/mouse controls on the PC version -- not the (rest of the) game itself. The game feels so much better with a console controller -- even a PS3 controller -- and I'm loving the game now.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#80  Edited By JasonR86

I didn't have expectations before I played it.  That said, I enjoyed it a lot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.