Is it worth the extra $10 to play Bastion on console?

#1 Posted by Tophar01 (142 posts) -

Bastion is on sale on steam for $5, its $15 on Xbox, I kinda wanna play it on my couch, but that deal is hard to pass up. Is it worth the extra dough?

#2 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -

If you want to spend 10 bucks to play it on your couch, spend 10 bucks.

If not, don't.

It's a good game. Both versions are good. I don't understand this question.

#3 Posted by Tomkang (251 posts) -

Do you value the comfort of your couch at $10?

You could just hook up your pc to the tv, a lot of people seem to be doing it these days

#4 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Hell yeah. I paid 15 on launch and loved it. Totally worth the price.

#5 Posted by TobbRobb (4650 posts) -

That depends on how much you vaule sitting on the couch.

I personally don't think it's worth it. At all. But I have easy access to plug my computer into a tv if I want to (usually don't though).

#6 Posted by CheapPoison (731 posts) -

I think it is crazy not to get it on steam now.

#7 Posted by Tophar01 (142 posts) -

@InfamousBIG: I guess I'm asking more if there are any significant issues with the controls on either side, it seems more like a game meant for a game pad

#8 Posted by L1GHTN1N (457 posts) -

@Tophar01: It controls fine with keyboard/mouse, if you want a gamepad you can hook up a 360 controller and play it with that. The PC version also comes with the DLC, it's $1 on 360.

#9 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -

@Tophar01 said:

@InfamousBIG: I guess I'm asking more if there are any significant issues with the controls on either side, it seems more like a game meant for a game pad

wired 360 controllers are plug n play for PC. for wireless 360 controllers you may already have, buy the wireless PC receiver online. both great investments if plan on gaming on a PC.

#10 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

Wherever you play it, play with a controller. Maybe it's just me but I vastly preferred to play with a controller over mouse/keyboard.  

#11 Posted by Tophar01 (142 posts) -

@Vexxan: is that for Bastion specifically? or just in general?

#12 Posted by MikeFightNight (1110 posts) -

I'm writing you this message from my 47" TV right now, buy it on Steam and move your PC to the TV. If that's not possible buy it on xbla, it's worth the price and couch gaming is always better.

#13 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -
@Tophar01 said:

@Vexxan: is that for Bastion specifically? or just in general?

That's for Bastion. Having an analog stick for such a game is great.
#14 Posted by AlisterCat (5568 posts) -

Crazy that 'couch' trumps better versions of a game and cheaper prices... no wonder PCs are in the state they are, developers can't really do anything about that, but I don't play any games sitting down in such a way so I guess I just don't get it.

#15 Posted by Savage (327 posts) -

@Vexxan: For the sake of balance, I'll note that I ended up preferring to play the game on PC with the mouse and keyboard. I started out using a 360 controller, assuming it would be better, but as I unlocked shooting weapons and gravitated toward using them exclusively over melee, I came to prefer the speed, precision, and tactile feeling of aiming that the mouse affords. Unlike many games, I think Bastion plays very well with either mouse and keyboard or controller, so I think many players' preference will come from which control interface they feel more at home with.

#16 Posted by Warchief (657 posts) -

pc version is fine, just hook up a 360 controller.

#17 Posted by Jokers_Wild (211 posts) -

I'd get it on PC, if you have a controller

#18 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Get an HDMI cable for your TV and a wired 360 pad/wireless receiver.

#19 Posted by TruthTellah (9100 posts) -

Buy Bastion on both for $20. Then celebrate being able to play it on the couch or on the PC while also supporting an amazing indie developer.

#20 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

The steam version is worth it for the soundtrack, so just get that

#21 Posted by Getz (3013 posts) -

No, it is not worth it.

#22 Posted by AndrewB (7617 posts) -

Plus $1 for the DLC,

I'm the opposite. I bought it for 360 not knowing a PC version would exist. Even at an equal price, I'd have preferred that version.

#23 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -

It has free DLC on Steam and you can use a M&KB or controller

#24 Posted by Tophar01 (142 posts) -

I decided to go with the 360 version, its technically only $5 more since I already have like a 500 point balance. I would have gone steam if there was a way to use a controller with it, however I don't have a controller I can hook up to my PC, and buying a new controller so I can get a game for $5 cheaper just doesn't make sense.

I'm looking forward to playing =D, thanks for all the input duders

#25 Posted by WhyBeAre (73 posts) -

@Tophar01: Have fun, you should grab a wired X-Box 360 controller or the adapter some day though as they are really useful.

#26 Posted by doomguy64 (18 posts) -

I agree. Grab an Xbox PC controller. You'd be suprised of how many games already have plug n play preset controls for it.

#27 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

Crazy that 'couch' trumps better versions of a game and cheaper prices... no wonder PCs are in the state they are, developers can't really do anything about that, but I don't play any games sitting down in such a way so I guess I just don't get it.

How is the PC version any better?

#28 Posted by TopSteer (657 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse: Higher resolution, choice of mouse and keyboard or controller and free DLC. Granted, it's not a dealbreaker but it is slightly better.

#29 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

I actually tried the demo with a controller when it came out and hated the game; then I bought it for $7.50 on a Steam sale and played it with a mouse and keyboard and thoroughly enjoyed the combat. Honestly, I think playing that game with a mouse and keyboard is the right way to play. The movement just feels way too... sluggish?... or something? to use with an analog stick. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it was terribly offputting until I played it with a keyboard and mouse.

#30 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
I actually tried the demo with a controller when it came out and hated the game; then I bought it for $7.50 on a Steam sale and played it with a mouse and keyboard and thoroughly enjoyed the combat. Honestly, I think playing that game with a mouse and keyboard is the right way to play. The movement just feels way too... sluggish?... or something? to use with an analog stick. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it was terribly offputting until I played it with a keyboard and mouse.
how the HELL did you manage to walk on that irritating edgy ground with WASD? I almost kicked my goddamn monitor, then I plugged in my Dualshock 3 and good times were had. 

Well, not really, since I don't like the game and haven't touched it in a week, but still, i enjoyed the first couple of levels with a gamepad stick better.
#31 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:
@ajamafalous said:
how the HELL did you manage to walk on that irritating edgy ground with WASD? I almost kicked my goddamn monitor, then I plugged in my Dualshock 3 and good times were had.  Well, not really, since I don't like the game and haven't touched it in a week, but still, i enjoyed the first couple of levels with a gamepad stick better.
I don't really know what you're referring to; before taking a break, I had beaten half of New Game+ with all 10 idols on. Didn't have any issues with keyboard control, and can't even imagine not being able to aim the ranged weapons with a mouse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.