Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bastion

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 20, 2011

Bastion is a story about a Kid, his hammer, and a world gone all kinds of wrong.

Just a thought about certain criticisms (Spoiler Free)

Fisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fisco

So I bought Bastion ASAP yesterday and beat the first playthrough as quickly as I possibly could, it was incredible. I could spend all day praising the gameplay, art, music, narration, and everything else but the story stuck out in my mind as well. Many reviewers and comments about the game state its lack of story as a negative factor of the game. However, it seems to me that the game had a very deep story that was told in a minimalist fashion to create intrigue and mystery. Just wondering what everyone else thought about Bastion's story. (Try to keep it spoiler free for those who haven't experienced it, thanks!)

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By buft

I have had no complaints about the story so far, i like the waking from amnesia type of storytelling, getting information on the history of the world, the kid and what has happened as you progress really drives you on through the levels so you can gradually build together in your mind what went on. 

I really like it but i guess there are people that don't and thats fine too, to each their own.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Heltom92

From the complaints I saw it wan't that there was a lack of story, it's just that it wasn't that great. However, I am only a couple of hours in but I am enjoying the story and the mystery so far.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By MEATBALL

There have been criticisms about the story, or a supposed lack thereof? I haven't *quite* finished it yet, but I feel like I can safely say it has one of the best stories of any title available on XBLA. It's a bit of a slow boil, but the pay-off is outstanding.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cookiemonster

I thought the story was decent. The only problem I have with it is that its a bit hard to concentrate on what the narrator is saying sometimes in the heat of battle, like on those Who Knows Where levels.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GunslingerPanda

What? Lack of story? I just beat it, and that's a ridiculous argument.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Cloudenvy

Good story told in a minimalist fashion, in my opinion.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Slaker117

So, I haven't actually read a review for this game the whole way through, could you point me to one where they criticize the lack of story? I want to see how they justify it in context, because having beaten the game, that seems objectively not true.

Fisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fisco

From what I've seen based on reviews (both user and critic) the complaints about the story are, as said earlier by Heltom92, more that it lacks story. Most likely meaning that since it is told in a minimalist fashion it is not always apparent and obvious to everyone. As for a clear example the best I could find was Xplay's review of the game. I think the criticism is more about how the story isn't always easy to pick up because focusing on the narrator is difficult for some players. I guess that is understandable.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rockdalf

I thought the story was amazing and said so in my review.  They really should have pushed subtitles more in this game.  I didn't play with them off, but I could imagine the difficulty in listening to everything the narrator says while you're fighting.

Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Alphonzo
    @Rockdalf: Tried it, and It's waaay harder to read and fight than listen and fight! DEAD

But I think the presentation of the story is the best thing about it. The writers make clever and artful use of ambiguity to make it cooler and more interesting than it would be if everything was smoothly plotted out in front of us.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.