Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bastion

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 20, 2011

Bastion is a story about a Kid, his hammer, and a world gone all kinds of wrong.

"Just think, without that man, we wouldn't be here right now."

InertiaticESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By InertiaticESP

This thread is going to have a ton of SPOILERS. It's a short game, beat it and join the conversation. 

SPOILERS 

SPOILERS 

Did anyone else get struck by this quote the way it hit me? The narrator says it right before you first meet Zulf. Now, whether the Narrator is speaking about the game in the past or present tense is left ambiguous on the first playthrough. Most of the time, it appears the Narrator is talking about the kid in basically a present tense, and if not that, in the very recent past tenset (i.e. saying something moments AFTER something happens, and thus referring to it in the past tense). 

Towards the end of the game, and within the conversations you have with the old man (obviously), he begins to speak directly towards your character in the obvious present tense, first pereson. 

However, there were moments where it appeared that the narrator was speaking in the past tense. Upon closer observation during NG+, most of these incidents revealed themselves to be the narrator simply hinting that he knows more. 

This quote is unique however, because if you take it in my assumed canonical context (1st Game you Restore, NG+ you Evacuate), it could be the narrator already having knowledge of what Zulf did, something we don't learn until later in the game (am I correct about that? I'm not 100% clear but I think I'm right). It indicates that the Narrator has experienced the Calamity before, and considering he says it on the first playthrough as well, it's possible there were more Calamities than the two we play. 

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone come to any sensible conclusions about what tense the narrator is speaking in? I think the quote in the title of this thread is in the present tense, as is much (the rest?) of the game.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

Wait..I may have misunderstood something about your question, but isn't it made very clear that he's retelling your adventures to Zia up until the point where you go after Zulf? basically, he's speaking in past tense up until the point where you go after Zulf.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By iDarktread

Oops, I probably should have tagged this before I posted, since it will probably show up untagged on my profile... dammit. 

GOTTA GO POST ON LOTS OF DIFFERENT TOPICS, FAST!
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cloudenvy

@iDarktread said:

Oops, I probably should have tagged this before I posted, since it will probably show up untagged on my profile... dammit.
    Yeah, he's relaying the information to Zia.
    GOTTA GO POST ON LOTS OF DIFFERENT TOPICS, FAST!

Shit, totally didn't think about that, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iDarktread
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cloudenvy

@iDarktread: This is not good.. D:

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iDarktread
    @Cloudenvy: Oh noes! D:
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iDarktread

By the way, I really liked Bastion. I thought it was great.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By MEATBALL

New Game+ definitely uses the fact it's a subsequent playthrough of the game to play with the idea that after restoration the Calamity has happened again, and that at the very least, those involved have fragments of memories/instincts from their prior experience.

H7O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By H7O

what if you evacuate at the beginning? what would happen then? I'm actually at that very option right now. It's my first playthrough and I'm about to choose whether or not to evacuate or restore.

what will happen if I evacuate?

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By mesoian

You get a different ending. Honestly, the ending I liked way better.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By GunslingerPanda

That quote pretty much means "without that man, Rucks and Zia wouldn't be waiting for The Kid to get the last shard right now" given how the last level plays out.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Kyle

How bout dont put a quote from the game in the topic name? thanks.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Jadeskye

@Cloudenvy said:

Wait..I may have misunderstood something about your question, but isn't it made very clear that he's retelling your adventures to Zia up until the point where you go after Zulf? basically, he's speaking in past tense up until the point where you go after Zulf.

This.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.