Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bastion

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 20, 2011

Bastion is a story about a Kid, his hammer, and a world gone all kinds of wrong.

One of a Kind Game

Xtophre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Xtophre

After having finished the game, I feel that this is a perfect example of why gamers call video games art.

In a sea myriad by gore, sex, violence; this game shines as a perfect example of a old artform that many gamers might not have experienced for years.

A game with both a deep and touching story as well as gameplay to match. You grow attached to seemingly shallow and placeholder characters. You learn how they got there and the personal disasters that seemingly brought you all together.

This is a game that all gamers who appreciate stories must play.

I hope Supergiant games makes more games like this.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Call me when it comes out for PC kay?
    Really, the more people call video games art, the more doubtful i become...
    Does it even really matter? Games are f***ing awesome, just shut up, play them, enjoy them and love them. No need to make a golden pedestal ;)

antoniocmf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By antoniocmf
    @TheDudeOfGaming: Sorry but I agree with  Sphinxks  , because there are some games that make you feel you're playing a master piece , like you were in the Louvre museum , and one of these games is Bastion...
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Dany

@Sphinxks said:

A game with both a deep and touching story as well as gameplay to match. You grow attached to seemingly shallow and placeholder characters. You learn how they got there and the personal disasters that seemingly brought you all together.

This is a game that all gamers who appreciate stories must play.

I agree, I hope that their next venture is something great and expansive. I feel an open world game done by them would be perfect.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By TobbRobb
    Goddammit, I'm already hyped as hell, threads like this only increases my suffering! WHEN IS PC VERSION COMING.

At least I finally got to play Limbo.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @antoniocmf: Perhaps, the only game I've played that comes close to me considering it art was Grim Fandango. Anyway i am looking forward to playing Bastion as soon as it comes out on PC.
    Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Quipido

I bought this game despite of some scepticism, the art style didn't really hit me right of the bat. 

Now, after 2 playthroughs (second one with all idosls on as soon as possible) I can say it is one of the best games I have played in recent years.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By buft
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    Call me when it comes out for PC kay? Really, the more people call video games art, the more doubtful i become... Does it even really matter? Games are f***ing awesome, just shut up, play them, enjoy them and love them. No need to make a golden pedestal ;)
    couild not agree more though apart from the pc part, i have it on 360. games are games and to me thats more important than art.
    antoniocmf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By antoniocmf

I wish bastion came out for PS3 , it would be awesome

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By amomjc

I love Bastion, but really don't understand how people become attached to any of the characters within the story. You can defend all you want, I've heard it all, and I still don't understand why people feel attached to them.

BerserkingGuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BerserkingGuts

I love everything about this game, from the raw gameplay down to the production quality of the sound effects, music, and art. As far as I'm concerned Bastion has ticked off every criteria I look for in a game. Love it.

If I had to nitpick though, I really, REALLY wish they gave us a 'restart' button for the proving grounds.

Tiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tiz

@BerserkingGuts: There is. It's a switch on the ground.

BerserkingGuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BerserkingGuts

I know. I meant I wish there was a way of restarting mid-game when you know you've already failed. The switch only works after you've finished.

Tiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tiz

Ah. I only noticed the button so late that I did't have a chance to try it during a proving ground. I think it prompts you if you want to restart if you kill yourself, but that can take a while in some of the challenges.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Quipido

You can use those buttons anytime durning the challenges... and in the larger ones there even are multiple to be found...

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fini_fly
    @antoniocmf said:
    I wish bastion came out for PS3 , it would be awesome
    Yes it would. I plan to hold my breath until it comes out.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#18  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Bastion is certainly unique in the downloadable space it occupies, but I wouldn't call it one of a kind. I remember Greg Kasavin being a huge fan of Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden, and the combat is clearly directly inspired by both of those, albeit a lot less combo heavy. I was surprised by how good the story was, and I do like the art style though. It will probably be pretty high up there once GOTY lists start to be made.

Xtophre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Xtophre

I will not reveal any spoilers;

The characters@TheSpartanDon said:

I just beat it,

But I kind of feel like people are giving this game too much credit. Sure it's good but people are acting as if this game is the second coming of christ.

I don't understand how people can speak so highly of the story when the ending choice is flawed. The story itself is also highly confusing, it's hard to keep track of what's going on and the only way the game tells the story is through the Narrator. It becomes really annoying when the Narrator is telling you something important during a Combat Sequence.

I probably sound like I'm being super negative on the game though, so I'll stop before I'm told I'm wrong for having an Opinion. I still liked it a lot however.

This is a specific type of game that many people actually hate because you won't have a grasp of everything that is going on unless you specifically listen to the narrator AND beat all of the "dream" challenges. You have to pay attention, you have to listen.

If you simply play the game through, have it on mute, you really won't have a clue to the story.

This is a game made for people who love a story, a story that seems so simple at face value but is more complex as you go through it and complete it.

They present you with each character, and each of them has a specific reason why they are there. Each character in this game has a specific story to them that can span maybe 2 pages at most. But you don't get to that until you play through to the end and play the challenges.

The biggest reason, at least for me, that I feel like I care about these characters is that in each "nowhere" challenge, you learn the tragedy of how they ended up where they did. You learn about the moments that led them to where they are.

And these stories that are told, are heart-breaking. You feel for the characters. I care about those characters because those stories touch you emotionally as they are realistic. The specific situations are obviously fantasy, but the tragedy felt by them is not. Every single character experiences significant loss and there is nothing more moving.

------

The best part has got to be at the end of the game when you learn about Zia's Father and how everything occurred.(Don't worry, no spoilers)

By then, you would have played Zia's "no where" challenge and learned her story. Now you learned the other part of Zia's story and why her father told her what he did.

Zia's father knew everything, and they almost escaped the city.

There is a lot to be said for a narrator telling a story, and you using your imagination to visualize that story. They could have easily just showed you a Video, but they decided instead to tell you a story and let you visualize it.

I personally consider this game a work of art, because its a game that can move you. It is a game that people who play it to its fullest and learn all of the story will remember because it will touch them in a way that many other games wish they could.

Many Game Developers search for ways to make you care about their characters and their stories, very few can actually pull it off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.