Out of Nowhere, Bastion's on iPad Tomorrow

Posted by patrickklepek (4588 posts) -

Those Supergiant Games guys ‘n gals know how to keep a secret. Bastion arrives on iPad tomorrow.

The tweaked version of Bastion, which includes a revamped approach to combat specifically designed to accommodate touch controls, will be available in your country’s App Store in the next day. If you want something more traditional, there is the option to play with virtual analog sticks.

With the touch-based controls, touching anywhere on the screen moves The Kid around, touching and holding your finger triggers running, a double tap rolls him in that direction, and firing of weapons happens automatically.

Based on this new approach, some of the weapons and upgrades have been changed slightly, but the iPad version doesn’t feature any new narrative content. There is, however, some new dialogue. The Stranger’s Dream sequence, which was released as downloadable content elsewhere, is included.

This version of the game costs $4.99, and there aren’t any current plans to release it on iPhone.

“We also felt the game experience might not translate well to the iPhone’s smaller screen, so we decided to focus only on the iPad in this case,” said the studio. “That said, we appreciate the interest in having a version of the game on the smaller device, and haven’t ruled anything out for the future.”

You’ll also need at least an iPad 2 to run Bastion, as developers begin leaving the original iPad behind.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4588 posts) -

Those Supergiant Games guys ‘n gals know how to keep a secret. Bastion arrives on iPad tomorrow.

The tweaked version of Bastion, which includes a revamped approach to combat specifically designed to accommodate touch controls, will be available in your country’s App Store in the next day. If you want something more traditional, there is the option to play with virtual analog sticks.

With the touch-based controls, touching anywhere on the screen moves The Kid around, touching and holding your finger triggers running, a double tap rolls him in that direction, and firing of weapons happens automatically.

Based on this new approach, some of the weapons and upgrades have been changed slightly, but the iPad version doesn’t feature any new narrative content. There is, however, some new dialogue. The Stranger’s Dream sequence, which was released as downloadable content elsewhere, is included.

This version of the game costs $4.99, and there aren’t any current plans to release it on iPhone.

“We also felt the game experience might not translate well to the iPhone’s smaller screen, so we decided to focus only on the iPad in this case,” said the studio. “That said, we appreciate the interest in having a version of the game on the smaller device, and haven’t ruled anything out for the future.”

You’ll also need at least an iPad 2 to run Bastion, as developers begin leaving the original iPad behind.

Staff
#2 Posted by Maajin (1063 posts) -

And no PS3 after all, eh?

#3 Posted by The_Nubster (2134 posts) -

Wow, this is a versatile game. I'm really impressed with the way this game is making rounds on platforms.

#4 Posted by Morningstar (2158 posts) -

I want their next project!

#5 Posted by SomeJerk (3246 posts) -

Retina support, hot diggity I want to see that with my own eyes

#6 Posted by kabukijoe (6 posts) -

I'll be interested to see just how well the controls translate. Regardless, work is definitely going to regret the staff ipad initiative.

#7 Posted by WesleyWyndam (160 posts) -

Looks pretty nice.

#8 Posted by theimmortalbum (497 posts) -

What. I'm buying this game AGAIN? It's like Plants vs Zombies all over again.

#9 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

im buying this

i enjoyed the fuck out of bastion

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

"Kid tries to poke me in the face repeatedly. Eventually, he's gotta learn to respect the elderly."

#11 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

I loved the shit out of this game (got my bandana, soundtrack, shirt, and two prints to prove it) but I feel like making the shooting automatic would remove a huge part of what made me love the gameplay so much.

#12 Posted by hermes (1480 posts) -

@Maajin: My thoughts exactly.

Its cool that the iOs crowd can get this game, but I am still waiting for a PS3 version to jump in...

#13 Posted by zacharai (87 posts) -

Oh geez. Yet another thing I'm buying again. At least it's only $5, that's really nice. I paid $10 for Avernum, and that was totally worth it.

#14 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Probably too frantic to play with virtual thumbsticks, but I'm curious to see how the alternate control options work.

Who am I kidding, I know I'm going to buy this.

#15 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5425 posts) -

I wonder how great this game would look on my retina display. That might be work the $5 alone.

#16 Posted by 014 (353 posts) -

@kabukijoe said:

I'll be interested to see just how well the controls translate. Regardless, work is definitely going to regret the staff ipad initiative.

That reminds me: I have an iPad at work I can use. Mua hahahaha. But I already have this game on Steam.

#17 Posted by believer258 (11903 posts) -

This game is not gonna control all that well.

Great game, yes, but play it on an Xbox or computer.

#18 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Hopefully Rucks has some funny dialogue for the different play style of the iPad. Like "Hey kid quit poking me." if you repeatedly touch Rucks on the screen.

#19 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I don't even own an iPad and I'm considering buying Bastion again.

#20 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

combat specifically designed to accommodate touch controls

touching anywhere on the screen moves The Kid around, touching and holding your finger triggers running, a double tap rolls him in that direction, and firing of weapons happens automatically

That sounds like they made a tightly controlled fast paced game with a fairly demanding combat into, touch the screen anywhere to win. I guess some of the weapon challanges are completely removed or changed. And those arenas and idols? brrrrrr.

Well at least the atmosphere, art, music and narration still remain, not sure how well will it feel without the fun combat to fill the gaps tho as glue.

#21 Posted by SuperSonic1305 (43 posts) -

Play an action oriented game on a iPad? LOL!

#22 Posted by aceofspudz (938 posts) -

@theimmortalbum said:

What. I'm buying this game AGAIN? It's like Plants vs Zombies all over again.

A kindred spirit. I own Bastion for PC and 360 and PvZ for PC, iPad, and iPhone.

#23 Posted by Hunter5024 (5682 posts) -

Man I was hoping for a ps3 version. Than I'd have an excuse to play it again.

#24 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -

Bastion on an iPad sounds outrageously fun.

#25 Posted by BBQBram (2236 posts) -

@Morningstar said:

I want their next project!

You said it!

#26 Posted by cosi83 (397 posts) -

I played it for 3 hours for the first time today on iPad whilst waiting at some seedy warehouse in China. Time flew by. A steal at £2.99

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.