SPOILERS My little Bastion song theory.

Posted by Kookro (109 posts) -

Seriously, there are some endgame level spoilers going on here...

Alright, before I start things off let me just say that this may be one of the worst theories you may ever hear. It might make no sense, it might make me sound straight up stupid. Hell, the Supergiant Games devs themselves might shun me forever just for coming up with something so off. But you know what? I don't care, I NEED to get this theory off my chest.

So what's the theory you ask? Well it's about one song in particular, Zulf's Theme. My theory is that it wasn't sung by Zulf at all.

First things first, let's look at the lyrics;

"I set my sail

fly the wind it will take me

back to my home, sweet home

Lie on my back

clouds are making way for me

I'm coming home, sweet home

I see your star you left it burning for me

Mother, I'm here

Eyes open wide

feel your heart and it's glowing

I'm welcome home, sweet home

I take your hand

now you'll never be lonely

not when I'm home, sweet home

I see your star, you left it burning for me

Mother, I'm here"

At first glance some people might think that the song was what Zulf sang when you first met him, about committing suicide. It's a great theory, probably the right one. Yet for some reason it doesn't seem right to me. So who do I think sang the song? The Kid. Yeah, you heard me.

Let's break down the lyrics, shall we?

"I set my sail

Lie on my back

I'm coming home, sweet home"

The entire theme of the game is about The Kid flying through the wind trying to restore his home.

"I see your star you left it burning for me

Mother, I'm here

Eyes open wide

I'm welcome home, sweet home"

Most people might think Mother refers to one of the gods, but when remembering one of The Kid's dreams you're told that The Kid's mother died while he was away. If there would be one person The Kid would be thinking of when restoring everything, it would be his mother... Even if it was for just a chance to be able to say goodbye.

"I take your hand

Mother, I'm here"

Now this is where it's about Zulf. Is it about the moment where The Kid meets Zulf for the first time? NOPE. Think of when you hear this song, think of the moment where you save Zulf, alone and beaten to near death. Think of the narration, notice how up to a certain point you only hear Rucks? Remember how it turns out that the person he was telling the story to was Zia? When rucks asks what song The Kid heard when meeting Zia, she sings it because she was there with him, listining to the story. Hence Rucks saying "Yeah, that's the one." when she starts singing it. And up until the the last level you only really hear Rucks speaking aside from the song. But as we know, by the time you reach that last level Zulf is unconscious, unable to sing. In that moment where you save him it's you, The Kid, who is singing that song. This is where you finally start hearing other's voices, including your own.

He is the one singing of coming home, having finally collected all the cores and shards. He is the one telling Zulf he will never be lonely. And he is the one, as he is carrying Zulf, both near death, singing his song while the Ura stop their attack to allow him to go home... Sweet home.

Thank you for reading this.

#1 Edited by Kookro (109 posts) -

Seriously, there are some endgame level spoilers going on here...

Alright, before I start things off let me just say that this may be one of the worst theories you may ever hear. It might make no sense, it might make me sound straight up stupid. Hell, the Supergiant Games devs themselves might shun me forever just for coming up with something so off. But you know what? I don't care, I NEED to get this theory off my chest.

So what's the theory you ask? Well it's about one song in particular, Zulf's Theme. My theory is that it wasn't sung by Zulf at all.

First things first, let's look at the lyrics;

"I set my sail

Lie on my back

I'm coming home, sweet home

I see your star you left it burning for me

Mother, I'm here

Eyes open wide

I'm welcome home, sweet home

I take your hand

Mother, I'm here"

At first glance some people might think that the song was what Zulf sang when you first met him, about committing suicide. It's a great theory, probably the right one. Yet for some reason it doesn't seem right to me. So who do I think sang the song? The Kid. Yeah, you heard me.

Let's break down the lyrics, shall we?

"I set my sail

Lie on my back

I'm coming home, sweet home"

The entire theme of the game is about The Kid flying through the wind trying to restore his home.

"I see your star you left it burning for me

Mother, I'm here

Eyes open wide

I'm welcome home, sweet home"

Most people might think Mother refers to one of the gods, but when remembering one of The Kid's dreams you're told that The Kid's mother died while he was away. If there would be one person The Kid would be thinking of when restoring everything, it would be his mother... Even if it was for just a chance to be able to say goodbye.

"I take your hand

Mother, I'm here"

Now this is where it's about Zulf. Is it about the moment where The Kid meets Zulf for the first time? NOPE. Think of when you hear this song, think of the moment where you save Zulf, alone and beaten to near death. Think of the narration, notice how up to a certain point you only hear Rucks? Remember how it turns out that the person he was telling the story to was Zia? When rucks asks what song The Kid heard when meeting Zia, she sings it because she was there with him, listining to the story. Hence Rucks saying "Yeah, that's the one." when she starts singing it. And up until the the last level you only really hear Rucks speaking aside from the song. But as we know, by the time you reach that last level Zulf is unconscious, unable to sing. In that moment where you save him it's you, The Kid, who is singing that song. This is where you finally start hearing other's voices, including your own.

He is the one singing of coming home, having finally collected all the cores and shards. He is the one telling Zulf he will never be lonely. And he is the one, as he is carrying Zulf, both near death, singing his song while the Ura stop their attack to allow him to go home... Sweet home.

Thank you for reading this.

#2 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

That's not crazy. Actually quite reasonable.

#3 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Shit dude. You just blew me away.

#4 Posted by TheKing (828 posts) -

Wow, I would have never looked at it like that. Awesome theory man.

#5 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Kinda related but I never realized that "Building that wall" was a threat from the ura's (zulfs people) to the cealndians that while they build the wall (the one the kid is one) it won't last too long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8cELTdtw6U

#6 Posted by Kookro (109 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

That's not crazy. Actually quite reasonable.

@Dany said:

Shit dude. You just blew me away.

@TheKing said:

Wow, I would have never looked at it like that. Awesome theory man.

Really? Thanks!

#7 Posted by BBQBram (2220 posts) -

Yeah I like it! Weird to picture that voice on The Kid though. Cool nonetheless, I like all interpretations regardless of "canon".

#8 Posted by Kookro (109 posts) -

@BBQBram said:

Yeah I like it! Weird to picture that voice on The Kid though. Cool nonetheless, I like all interpretations regardless of "canon".

I think it's hard to picture him with that voice because of the art style, it makes everyone seem younger. I remember being pretty shocked by what Zia sounded like.

#9 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

@Kookro said:

@BBQBram said:

I think it's hard to picture him with that voice because of the art style, it makes everyone seem younger. I remember being pretty shocked by what Zia sounded like.

Also 'The Kid' is only really a 'kid' compared to Rucks. They make no qualms about the Distillery making Alcohol and the Kid freely drinks it - I do not know of any official policies but I doubt MS would let them post a game with underage drinking.

#10 Posted by Kookro (109 posts) -

@SteamPunkJin said:

@Kookro said:

@BBQBram said:

Also 'The Kid' is only really a 'kid' compared to Rucks. They make no qualms about the Distillery making Alcohol and the Kid freely drinks it - I do not know of any official policies but I doubt MS would let them post a game with underage drinking.

Not to mention the fact that he's served on the wall TWICE. I doubt they'd let an actual kid do something that dangerous once, let alone a second time.

#11 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

thats a pretty good theory actually, i was thinking that the whole mother dying thing was in Zulf's backstory but you just reminded me that it was the Kid's, what happened in Zulf's? i can't remember at this point

#12 Edited by Baal_Sagoth (1252 posts) -

Are Rucks/ Zia/ Zulf/ the Kid somehow part of one "personality"? I like the way you put your theory together. You're on to something but I don't think we got it quite figured out...

On a different note: the Kid doesn't really rebuild his home because he technically belongs to the motherland people that once build the city on native Ura territory(?).

Also: have you all played the alphabet "history books" part? Shouldn't we find something enlightening there? What's up with the last page/ "author" segment? Awesome thread nonetheless :)

Edit: I just finished my New Game+ and another question occured to me - are there actually more than two endings? Does the combination of the choices affect anything?

#13 Edited by SPeedy26 (38 posts) -

@Kookro: I always thought it was the kid singing the song, by the lyrics especially "I set my sail" glad there someone else who agrees with me :)

#14 Posted by Kookro (109 posts) -

@Baal_Sagoth: Sorry for the late reply but home is where you make it. Also I really need to play the game one more time to take notes, might actually start it on easy and take my time.

@SPeedy26 said:

@Kookro: I always thought it was the kid singing the song, by the lyrics especially "I set my sail" glad there someone else who agrees with me :)

It's always awesome to know someone else has the same ideas. Cheers.

#15 Posted by Vonocourt (2125 posts) -

I never bothered looking at the song titles so I kind of always thought it was the Kid singing, though this is a pretty great theory.

#16 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1252 posts) -

@Kookro said:

@Baal_Sagoth: Sorry for the late reply but home is where you make it. Also I really need to play the game one more time to take notes, might actually start it on easy and take my time.

That's a good point! After my second playthrough with NG+ I had the same thought. So far I'm just messing around with arenas and weapon combinations but I still might play another time. Maybe after a little pause.

#17 Posted by LadyShayne (131 posts) -

@Kookro: Now I feel a little less crazy for thinking the same thing. Since it was a song about a reunion between mother and son (possibly through death) I thought of the kid and his backstory. When I later read it was called Zulf's theme I thought I was just completely off base. Your last theory about it actually being the Kid singing to Zulf was unexpected but fits perfectly with the emotional weight of that scene.

@Dany: That actually makes more sense. I love that song, but I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the lyrics sounded so predatory.

I dig my hole you build a wall.
One day that wall is gonna fall.
Gon' build that city on a hill.
Someday those tears are gonna spill.
Gon' build that wall until it's done.
But now you've got nowhere to run.
So build that wall and
build it strong 'cuz
we'll be there before too long.

#18 Posted by Koops (1 posts) -

Not meaning to rain on the parade or anything but in the sheet music the characters singing are labelled Zulf and Zia unfortunately...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.